Thread: Appropriate Behavior

Appropriate Behavior

What follows is just a set of GUIDELINES I have written to our moderators to try to standardize behavior on the boards.

The FIRST RULE of these forums is that they are free, private forums run for the benefit of ALL our users. If ANYTHING inappropriate is posted, even if it doesn't fit the defintion below, it may be moved, edited or deleted.

The SECOND RULE is that in my absence, it is the responsibility of the moderators to keep things under control. What they say goes. Don't pick a fight with a moderator, even if you think he or she is being a jerk. It's like picking a fight with a cop. You may have your 'day in court' later (that is, Sports Mogul can repeal a ban for example). But in the meantime your posts will be edited and/or deleted, and you could get yourself banned.

The THIRD RULE is that League Commissioners have complete control over their leagues. They have the right to ban players from the league AND they have the right to edit posts in the league forums. If a Commissioner asks a moderator to edit/sticky/delete/move a post in the league forum, the moderator will do so without asking why.

If you don't like the way a Commissioner runs a league, QUIT the league. You MAY post a message in the Leagues Forum saying WHY you quit the league, but please keep it civil (example: it's OK to say "I quit Blah League because the Commissioner deleted many of my posts, although I felt I said nothing inappropriate". It's not OK to say "I quit because the Commish was a f***wad and I hope he dies."). As with league recruiting, limit any complaints to ONE post, and don't start an argument.

---

INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR

To summarize, we care more about the attitude of a post than the content.

Example 1: Sh!t. I just lost 3 pitchers to injury.

This is OK. It would also be OK to add a comment to the boards like "Please watch the language". But you don't have to comment, and you don't need to delete the post or threaten to ban the perpetrator.

Example 2: You're an idiot. Your post is stupid and so are you.

No swears, but this is 100% inappropriate.

Example 3: Moderator is a pussy. He shouldn't have told me to shut up. I'm gonna kick his ***.

Also 100% inappropriate, and this is the type of stuff that escalates into harmful personal fights between people. For the record, I have already called the FBI about a threat I received at my home from a past Mogul player. I'll do it again if I need to.

Threats against people (inside or outside of Sports Mogul) are ALWAYS inappropriate. You should delete them, and let the user know they can be banned. If possible, get another moderator or myself involved immediately so it doesn't look like a one-on-one fight.

---

HOW TO RESPOND TO AN INAPPROPRIATE POST (for Moderators):

1) Delete the post.

1a) If multiple posters are involved, and there appears to be some joviality involved. You can LEAVE the posts, but add a warning to EVERYONE in the thread that if it gets out of hand and feelings are getting hurt, we will delete posts and/or entire threads.

2) Let the offender know in an e-mail or PM exactly what they said that earned the deletion.

3) If you feel it is necesssary, tell them they will be banned for one week from the forums if this continues.

4) Send a copy of your comments (from #2 and #3) to me.

5) If the abuse continues after the warning, we will ban them.

6) If the abuse continues, and you can't get the perpetrator to stop, and you can't get in touch with me, issue a ban for one week and we'll work out the rest later.

7) Past offenders will earn longer bans, including possibly permanent ones.

Thanks!

Clay
    Last edited by Clay Dreslough; 12-26-2005 at 01:41 PM.
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2018!

Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

Re: Appropriate Behavior

Clay, Question...

If we find something iinappopriate, in league forum, can you edit it, or wait untill the commissioner says something?

Re: Appropriate Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by boomboom
    Clay, Question...

If we find something inappopriate, in league forum, can you edit it, or wait until the commissioner says something?
    In general, if you see something inappropriate in a League Forum, but no one has complained about it, I would post a reply asking the poster to calm down -- but don't delete the post unless it's repeated pattern and it seems like the poster is intentionally trying to be inappropriate.

If you think the post itself will set off some tempers, you can delete it, but also explain in the thread why the post was deleted. One of the things that frustrates people is when it seems like posts are being deleted for no reason.

Clay
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2018!

Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com