Thread: Primary Position Determination Season by Season

Question Primary Position Determination Season by Season

I'm trying to figure out what file(s) control the primary positions for players from past seasons. I'm trying to run an all-time all star league by using players who had their best season. Now, Smokey Joe Wood, who, began his career as a pitcher, injured his arm, then, came back as a hitter (right fielder). His 1912 pitching season was one of the best ever. In the All-Tim All-Stars.csv file, Joe Wood's selected season is 1913 (the year after his best), however, when you run the program, it puts him in right field instead of using him as a pitcher. There is no column in the All-Time All-Stars.csv for position, so, how can I make this change? I'd prefer to make the change in the file that controls positioning rather than having to do it while the program is running. Please let me know. Thanks...

Re: Primary Position Determination Season by Season

In my 2022 allstars mog Soky Joe wood does com up as a pitcher. This is a good spot to use the 2 way player in that if he is a right fielder then for those that want him tp also pitch there's a much better way of doing that now.

So that is my only option? There is no file that I can edit in order to force him only as a starting pitcher?

Not sure but I believe you may also be able to delete the right fielder instance of the player. You may be able to do that. That way he would stay a starting pitcher.

I appreciate the response. I don't think Joe Wood was a two-way player. He was a pitcher until he could no longer pitch. Then, he came back as a hitter much like Rick Ankiel's career. First a pitcher, then a hitter.

But that's what you may need to do. I don't know if there's any other way for that or not. You may be able to delete the right fielder Joe Wood once you have him again as a pitcher. I don't think it will delete both if you are only trying to delete the one instance of the player. You'll hve to try that and see if it does what you want. The thing that's got me stuck is the personal catcher in the scouting reports of pitchers. I have never gotten that to work and I'm not certain what to do with it or where to clock in the scouting report to make it do what it's supposed to.

I looked into the Fielding.csv file thinking maybe the program uses this file to determine each player's primary position for each season. The only rows for Smokey Joe Wood are from 1918 on (when he returned as a hitter). There are no pitching fielding rows. I will lookup his stats on baseball-ref and plug them in to see if it makes a difference and report back... WAIT: Not true. I did find them (they just were not in order). I did see that they only have seasons up to 1912 on his pitching stats which is wrong. There are a few seasons after that which are missing.

well keep in mind also that between 1917 and 1918 The US was in the middle of World War I as well and that may be part of the reason why you aren't seeing some of the years before 1918.

Maybe Clay will have some time to give me a clue. I will email him later about it. I can't figure it out. The only thing I haven't inspected is those compressed files (gz files).