One feature I have wanted for some time is the ability to create a template that would be used whenever I started a new franchise.

I thought that by changing the Universe.dat file to the settings that I use, I would then have all new franchises initiate with those settings.
This was partially successful.

Some items set by me were in my next new franchise but these were not:
Budget settings
Options Skin setting
Options Play-by-play settings
Options Sound Effects setting
Options Perfect Scouting setting
Finances display headings
Leaders settings (neither the Conference setting nor the 4 fields)

It would be nice if these settings were taken from the Universe.dat file... However, this would require the player to modify every Universe year that they play. Not good.

There should be an .ini file where settings for generation of a new franchise could be set by the gamer OR a menu item under Game to save current settings as default settings..

The items I would like to be able to set are:

Players
Players->Free Agents: ability to list the fields to display in the order I want them.
Players->Find Players: ability to list the fields to display in the order I want them and to set the "under age" and attribute fields for the "... and at least" value.
Players->College Draft: ability to list the fields to display in the order I want them.
Players->Sortable Stats: ability to list the fields to display in the order I want them.
Players->Trading Block: ability to list the fields of my team to display in the order I want them. It would be nice if this dialog could be widened.
Players->Trades: I would like to be able to set the fields displayed and their order. It would be nice if this dialog box was wider so more fields could be visible.

Budget (low priority)
ability to set defaults for all Budget items

News
Calendar: ability to set default headings
Standings: ability to set default headings (including default conference to view)
Finances: ability to set default headings (including default conference to view)
Leaders: ability to set default fields to view (including default conference to view)

Play
It would be nice if Ctrl followed by 1 to 8 would simulate that number of weeks. Keep Ctrl 9 and 0 as is.
Currently Ctrl 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 are not used by the program.

History
Team History this is a (nice to have): player selection of fields to display from a longer list. Like total passing yards, total rushing yards (offensively and defensively), playoff record...

League
From reading comments of other players, there may be interest in setting these fields for creation of custom leagues. For example changing the divisions/conferences for a Canadian or European league.

Tools
Advanced Tools...-> Do Special Tool is here and in Options. No reason for having it here and in Options. It should be removed from Options.
Options: would like the ability to set the values for every field. Should remove the Do Special Tools button.

Finally, I would like to be able to view previous years of a franchise from within the program.