Thread: State of the Game

State of the Game

I was just wondering if Baseball Mogul 2020 is worth purchasing. There seems to be very little activity here on
    this forum and hardly any mention of the 2020 game. I have purchased several versions of Baseball Mogul in the
    past and they all had pretty serious bugs. The game's developer would put out a patch and, almost always, the patch
    would introduce more problems.

Just looking for an honest assessment of how the game is now.

Thank you!

Re: State of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
    I was just wondering if Baseball Mogul 2020 is worth purchasing. There seems to be very little activity here on
    this forum and hardly any mention of the 2020 game. I have purchased several versions of Baseball Mogul in the
    past and they all had pretty serious bugs. The game's developer would put out a patch and, almost always, the patch
    would introduce more problems.

Just looking for an honest assessment of how the game is now.

Thank you!
    There was a release year a couple years ago that was gadawful and didn't really get any better, and a lot of people felt burned after that.

I feel like the game is stable but the touted yearly "updates" are super-simple and not worthy of paying much for. I feel like the developer is not interested in this anymore, but enjoys coasting on laurels and earning a nice little chunk of change yearly from repeat-business suckers like me. If you can buy it for $20, it's worth it if you get a few hours of enjoyment out of it. But overall, super-disappointing that so little ever changes.

OOTP is a much better game with a very passionate development team and robust community, but it is still a bit too learning-curve-intense for me.

I would agree with this assessment 100% with the possible exception of "nice little chunk of change" as we don't have access to sales figures. Clay gives the game away to active duty military. and 50% off to veterans.. I got my $20 worth out of it and do find enjoyment setting up custom leagues and teams. . I've been buying this game for YEARS. I also looked at OOTP but did not want to invest that much time into it. Maybe next year MLB the Show comes to PC...

The only other comment I have is I hate the PBP graphics which have not changed in a decade.

Well BBM has to face competition with OOTP cause thats the best game atm as baseball sim imo.
    BUT: It is very overwhelming the player with options, screens and stats thats why I always come back to BBM. It's much more some kind of "just half a season" in very short time.
    Although the community gets less and less active here, cause I think mayn of the hardcore fans who did mods and rosters in the past also moved on to OOTP.
    The game really needs a graphical rework, starting with an updated skin.
    Luckily now team logos and player photos are downloadable directly in the agem, unfortunately the download archive doesn't seem to see updates very often...

So what really is apity that the mod section is also dead. I posted a updated version of my Smooth Blue skin for 2020 and never ever got 1 single response if someone even tried it out...

And unfortunately Clay seems never to be online on the forums nor did he replay to 2 mails I sent him...
    I don't want to play golf! When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it! (~Rogers Hornsby)

The game has improved. There are discount codes. Patch 23.06 fixed the league builder, Thanos mode is a fun addition, 60 game schedule added, extra inning rule change added. It's a small company and I believe Clay went through some life changes events lately.

Overall his response to BM2020 has improved.

I just miss the old trade-zilla. Teams are less willing to trade or sell players in this version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..