Thread: My thoughts on Football Mogul

My thoughts on Football Mogul

Let me preface this by saying I have played several hours of the game, it has a lot of amazing potential, but I have asked for (and been granted) a refund for the game for the reasons I am going to give. Once resolved, I will repurchase the game:

1. It appears to be impossible to simulate from the earliest date to the present. I think the game can't get beyond the transition from pre-SB era to the SB era.

2. Future Hall of Famers rarely live up to their expectations. Some of them are rated fairy low as rookies. I never see them rise to greatness. I'd like to see future HoFers and near HoFers live up to their greatness, at least most of the time. I was packing my roster with HoFers and I was perennially going 8-8.

3. I'm not sure why, but it seems that career shortening injuries happen too frequently. 8/10 that I drafted a blue chip QB or RB they seemed to get injured and drop to backup quality for the rest of their career.

4. New teams aren't added to the league as time goes by.

5. The stats are a bit wonky in simulations. The league doesn't adjust to the times. Rushing era, passing era, etc. Players don't seem to really rack up anywhere close to 100 career sacks, for instance.

6. Players beyond 2020 never have substantial career. I played as Dak Prescott and I kept resigning him until he was 100 years old. I kept starting him for fun (Dallas didn't win for 60 years!). In the process of this, I realized that the career leaders only had maybe 3 fictional future players in any of the categories.

I have other issues, but these are the major ones i have as someone that simulates seasons and plays as GM. I will repurchase the game when these are fixed. Until then, it isn't much of a similator as it is just a football PC game with players that happen to have similar names as historical players. I want a living and breathing NFL history. I'm sure others might want the same.

Re: My thoughts on Football Mogul

1) agree. all sorts of shaky when you play early stuff.
    2) my system lists Jonathan Ogden as a guard. he played guard one year and became a HOF tackle. some players in FM don't track nearly like their real careers.
    3) injuries are a crap shoot. random I guess.
    4) no we have to add expansion teams manually. and keep an eye on alignments and number of Wild Card teams etc.
    5) agree, which is odd considering the game is based on stats. sometimes teams run routine plays when down by four and 20 seconds left.
    6) I haven't gone beyond 2020 yet.

what can we say, the game is flawed. I still enjoy it.

This game has great potential. Unfortunately, that has been the case for the past decade. It needs significant work to fix the many issues.

A suggestion: turn off regression to the mean. If you leave it on, any player that has a great year will have his ability permanently reduced.

Totally agree that the simulation game logic needs significant work for play calling especially prior to halftime and in the final two minutes. For example: Losing by one point, on the other team's 5 yard line, 4 seconds left, a 90 overall rated kicker, and we attempt a pass?

Unfortunately, it also needs work on many other issues.
    Low pass completion percentages (less than 50%) during the first two weeks of a season.
    Player aging is based upon their birthday, not the season. This is why drafted players mysteriously drop in rating after the draft.
    Billion $ plus loss in a season. And sometimes a billion dollar gain...
    Weak teams beating good teams far more often than they should. Overwhelmingly superior teams struggle against average teams.
    Kick/Punt returners dramatically losing ability one season to the next. If their rating is >95 it will drop to the 80s if you save the game and restart.
    Unrealistic Field Goal kicking. Too high a success rate over 40 yards and way too low between 30 and 39 yards.
    No offers by computer teams to trade up or down. The trading block is useless after the first year. All trades offers are terrible after the first year.
    Draft related items are in menus all over the place. They should be in a single Draft menu.
    Salaries and bonuses for drafted players are too high after the 10th pick.
    Playoffs are incorrect. Wild Card teams are sometimes the home team when they have a better record than the Division winner.
    Quality players never become free agents.
    Awards file is useless.
    Statistics are not accurate -- or at least not consistent. Replay file and box score differ on who makes TDs, fumble recoveries, etc.
    When a player has a one week injury after the Conference Championship, he should be available for the Super Bowl two weeks later. He won't be.

I get all sorts of quality players for free agents

what years are you simulating? right now I'm mostly doing 60s / 70s.

I don't get trade offers. which version are you running?

I am running the current version 2020 v17.0.2. I play at Fan level in Owner mode from the current year forward using fictional players. The highest ranted players that appear as Free Agents are rated in the low 70s. After a draft some undrafted players rated with a peak in the high 70s will be available; however, the computer teams never release quality players unless they are significantly beyone their peak and they typically are kickers / punters.

To get trade offers you have to use the trading block (Players->Trading Block). You will get decent offers before the start of the 1st year. After that, the offers get progressively worse. After running the first year, go into commissioner mode and get the 1st pick in the draft. Offer it up using the Trading Block and you will see just how bad the offers are. When using the trading block to trade players, the offers will be just as bad.