Thread: please revert to diamond for 2020

please revert to diamond for 2020

Every game since Diamond has gotten worse.

1. Predicted "Rating" I hate generating ratings. I love generating random stats.

2. Terrible aging curves. All players fall off by 32 (2016+)

I know Diamond saves are bulky and take minutes to load, but I want 150 years of saved data, not 20.
    Bill Mueller was the best third baseman in the year 2003. He was not the best third baseman when I wrote my first signature, because that was in 2001...

Re: please revert to diamond for 2020

I enthusiastically second your first point....I've been working on an update of the 2019 season right now, and the player editor is nothing but a pain....I want to be able to simulate something based on 2019 actual stats, and getting it anywhere close is nothing but trial and error (taking forever), especially given that the predicted rates for K's are way off compared to reality right now. The worst part of it (and someone tell me if I'm just missing something) - the predicted stats on the team page say one thing (say an .800 predicted OPS), then when you open up the editor, they are usually significantly higher (like + 200 points of OPS in some cases)..so even viewing the results of editing can be time consuming and confusing. Long story short, the move to directly editing the ratings has been the worst move the game has made in my opinion - I'm sure someone out there prefers it, but I don't see where the benefit is at all - the great part about Mogul for years was the adaptability - and that let people like HoustonGM make some fantastic rosters that kept the game great as a simulator...since he fell off, no one else seems to really be doing it, and the default rosters just leave a lot to be desired.

I can't speak to the 2nd point because I've spend most of my time this year tweaking ratings.

I've also noticed while updating, that the default roster is missing a number of players with big league experience - the main culprits seems to be guys who had time in say 2016-17, but then none in 2018...the weird thing is though that they do not show up as retired players either...I should have saved one as an example, but I didn't think to do so. If I come across any more, I will let you know.

The main appeal of this version is that it has seemed a lot less buggy than most of the versions since Diamond.

Clay had some health issues and is recovering. As a huge Mogul fan since the year 2000 or so, I hope my opinions hold some weight. I've been playing using Diamond for 4 years now.
    Bill Mueller was the best third baseman in the year 2003. He was not the best third baseman when I wrote my first signature, because that was in 2001...

The overall results are more accurate since Diamond as I'm better able to calibrate the ratings. One big complaint in Diamond and earlier was that ratings "spun out of control", either ending up with half the league over 90 or half the league under 70.

Diamond also had a problem where you could lose the YBY stats and never get them back a bug that could only be fixed by changing the database and putting some limits on the number of "rows" of YBY data that got saved. Also, this years version had the most minor league stats ever even Diamond wouldn't have been able to handle all this new data.

Anyway, keep playing Diamond and I'll work on the issues mentioned in the first post.
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Dreslough View Post
    The overall results are more accurate since Diamond as I'm better able to calibrate the ratings. One big complaint in Diamond and earlier was that ratings "spun out of control", either ending up with half the league over 90 or half the league under 70.

Diamond also had a problem where you could lose the YBY stats and never get them back — a bug that could only be fixed by changing the database and putting some limits on the number of "rows" of YBY data that got saved. Also, this years version had the most minor league stats ever — even Diamond wouldn't have been able to handle all this new data.

Anyway, keep playing Diamond and I'll work on the issues mentioned in the first post.
    It's really time for the Sports Mogul game app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Dreslough View Post

Diamond also had a problem where you could lose the YBY stats and never get them back — a bug that could only be fixed by changing the database and putting some limits on the number of "rows" of YBY data that got saved. Also, this years version had the most minor league stats ever — even Diamond wouldn't have been able to handle all this new data.

Clay - if reverting to the Stats-based editor is not an option, is it possible to make the editing process a little more "transparent?" The predicted stats on the default roster say one thing (an .800 OPS for Gleyber Torres for example)...when I open up the editor, several things tend to happen. 1 the first button I click increasing or decreasing his overall ratings causes a huge jump in the predicted stats (sometimes more than 100 points of OPS)...so in order to give Torres an .850 predicted OPS, you actually end up lowering his ratings from the original. I've seen that with almost every player while editing. Compounding this is the fact that the predicted stats in the editor do not always update until you exit out of the editor, and go back in again to see them.

The 2nd issue, is that there is a 5 point disparity across the board between ratings in the editor and in game - can something be changed to align these two...as I said, I'm a fan of the stats based editor, but if I want a pitcher to have a 55 endurance rating, it makes a lot more sense to make him a 55 than to edit him to 50 and hope it ends up at the right spot.

Last - the stats (for a current year anyway) are off from the current game environment. Pitchers across the board have K/9 and HR rates to low. I haven't run the numbers to see how far off, and I know that this can be adjusted globally as well - but there are many more K's and HR's in the game today than what is reflected in the editor and predicted stats. Similarly, HR/SLG seems to be a lower portion of OPS for hitter's predicted stats than BA/OPB (ie slugging should be higher, OBP lower, BA lower)...trying to play around with hitters to get this accurate (on each side) and result in some absurd numbers (like a ton of pitchers with 99 power, but sub-30 command and movement, and batters with 30-40 contact and 100+ power). I might just be missing something with the translation between predicted stats and the actual results after going through park effects and things like that, but my adjusted numbers have come pretty close to MLB with the tweaks, but the result is a lot of very imbalanced players (99 in one category, garbage in pretty much everything else.) SP endurance probably needs to be tweaked downward in general as well.

PS - this one should probably be a bug report, but I didn't get a chance to screen cap or anything, but in 22.12, I stumbled across a recurrence of an old bug that I thought had been eliminated - should be relatively straight forward to recreate if you have the time to look into it though. Playing as an AL team mainly I don't get involved in non-DH games often, but during a WS extra inning game, I ran out of bench players, and used a pitcher to pinch hit for my current pitcher, and then left him in the game to start the next inning. It handled that substitution fine, but moved my RF to DH in the lineup card, and had no RF listed at all.