Thread: retro stats

retro stats

I saw an exhibition game at Gilmore Field in the spring of 1953 matching the St. Louis Browns and the Chicago White Sox. On the mound for the Browns was the venerable Satchel Paige. I was 13 and had no idea who the man was when my uncle pointed him out to me. I later read "Maybe I"ll Pitch Forever (Twice) and appreciated who he was. So I thought it would be nice to relive my childhood and started a 1953 season as the Browns GM, hoping to save the Browns from transplanting in Baltimore and change baseball history. During this journey I was shocked to see Ted Williams having a career slugging percentage in the .400's.
    Here is a man who without 5 seasons flying for the USMC would have threatened Babe Ruths\'s record of 714 homers. Do the math. He consistently hit 39 homers in his full seasons and ended up with 520 homers. five times 39 is 195=520 equals 715. Nobody ever mentions this but it is a fact. Incidentally, my take on home runs is this. They are overrated. Look at the records of teams that set home records and tell me how many championships they won. And look at this: If you hit 40 homers in a season, what were you doing in the other 122 games. Food for thought. Thanks for reading. have fun.

Re: retro stats

Wow, seeing Satchel Paige must've been wild.

We have some older gentlemen Mogul players on the boards. Muddy is in my league, he's 84 or 86 I think. And Rongar is usually on with his dynasties, he has to be in his 80s. My dad was born in 1939 but would never use a computer or post on a form, just watches TV all day. And not the good kind! It's encouraging to see older guys using forums and still gaming a little!

Sorry for the bad Ted Williams experience. The games tries to build in random variance, so that some potential stars end up not being stars at all. I'm running a game where Mark McGwire never made it to the big leagues! There are some settings you can adjust to make stats more closely align with history. The default has that turned off so you can have a new and different experience with the game.

Re: retro stats

Thanx for the reply.