Thread: OBP less than Batting Average

OBP less than Batting Average

Clay, would you please look at your calculation for OBP? My understanding is that OBP will always be higher than the batting average and I've noticed that it is lower with batters who have a lot of sacrifice bunts. Attached is an example.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: OBP less than Batting Average

Quote Originally Posted by deputydawg49 View Post
    Clay, would you please look at your calculation for OBP? My understanding is that OBP will always be higher than the batting average and I've noticed that it is lower with batters who have a lot of sacrifice bunts. Attached is an example.
    The calc IS CORRECT. Sacrifice Flies are in the denominator of the on-base percentage calculation, but NOT in the batting average calculation. This will usually only happen when there are only a small amount of at bats.

Irongoalie, respectfully, I disagree. Here is what MLB has to say (http://m.mlb.com/glossary/standard-s...e-percentage): Definition
    OBP refers to how frequently a batter reaches base per plate appearance. Times on base include hits, walks and hit-by-pitches, but do not include errors, times reached on a fielder's choice or a dropped third strike. (Separately, sacrifice bunts are removed from the equation entirely, because it is rarely a hitter's decision to sacrifice himself, but rather a manager's choice as part of an in-game strategy.) FYI, SH in the example above refer to sacrifice bunts, not sacrifice flies.

irongoalie, looks like we are both right. Sac Flies are counted in OBP; however, Clay defines a sacrifice hit (SH) as "A sacrifice hit (abbreviated 'Sac' on the Scouting Report) is awarded whenever a player successfully bunts to advance a runner even though the batter himself is thrown out at first. A sacrifice hit counts as a plate appearance, but not as an At Bat." According to MLB, sacrifice bunts are not counted as a plate appearance; thus they are not counted in OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by deputydawg49 View Post
    irongoalie, looks like we are both right. Sac Flies are counted in OBP; however, Clay defines a sacrifice hit (SH) as "A sacrifice hit (abbreviated 'Sac' on the Scouting Report) is awarded whenever a player successfully bunts to advance a runner even though the batter himself is thrown out at first. A sacrifice hit counts as a plate appearance, but not as an At Bat." According to MLB, sacrifice bunts are not counted as a plate appearance; thus they are not counted in OBP.
    That's what I was trying to say - Sac FLYS are in OBP, so that is why it can be higher. On Baseball Moguls stat lines, it only lists Sac HITS, therefore you CAN'T SEE the actual numbers that calc the OBP, you just have to assume that there were Sac FLYS, which is why OB is higher than BA.

MLB counts both sacrifice flies and sacrifice bunts as plate appearances. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_bunt

Quote Originally Posted by phills52 View Post
    MLB counts both sacrifice flies and sacrifice bunts as plate appearances. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_bunt
    It IS included in the calculation for OBP:

On Base Percentage (aka OBP, On Base Average, OBA) is a measure of how often a batter reaches base. It is approximately equal to Times on Base/Plate appearances. The full formula is OBP = (Hits + Walks + Hit by Pitch) / (At Bats + Walks + Hit by Pitch + Sacrifice Flies)