Thread: What Causes Stats to Change?

What Causes Specs to Change?

Until last year I was using Mogul 2008. In 2018, I noticed that the specs sometimes change. Not just pitchers tiring during a game, but change permanently. The other day, playing 1979, the Padres offered me Ozzie Smith for a steal. His Shortstop Rating was 99, but within a game or two had changed to 98. I don't know if this is something I did (using him too much, or not enough), or just normal).

A 1 point drop is no big deal, but last year when playing the 1986 season, Jose Cruz started off with really good speed. (Much too good, since he only stole 3 bases that year). I started using him to steal a lot, but after a while, he dropped about 10-15 points off his speed, which was more reasonable).
    Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik; 07-14-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Re: What Causes Stats to Change?

What's changing are the player "ratings".

Ratings are a result of your teams scouting. If your scouting is good/great, then your players are accurately rated. Your opponents players are similarly rated accurately. If you have poor scouting, your "scouts" do not rate players properly, which can lead to random fluctuations in player ratings. I assume you already know this, but maybe not.

Improve scouting by going to Budget (Option at the top of game screen), then Expenses, and then to Scouting, and increase the amount you spend to get better scouting, or in commissioner mode go to "League", then League Settings, to Team Expenditures, to Scouting Staff, and check "Perfect", or at least "Excellent". Poorly funded scouting can result in player ratings being off by up to 10 points, according to the help menu.
    Last edited by Swampdog; 07-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Yeah, in your example, Ozzie going from a 99 to a 98 is probably just your scouting system slightly changing its opinion on him; it won't effect his actual performance. Even with very good scouting, the rating you see can be off by a bit; as Swampdog points out, with poor scouting the rating can be off considerably.

Of course, a player's actual, true rating can change, too. In fact, pretty much every player's rating will change over time, except maybe for some guys who aren't even good enough to get out of A ball whose ratings stay static. Young players will tend to improve, sometimes even dramatically in the course of a single season. A player who starts the season in AAA with a rating of 75/88 could easily end the season with a rating of 84/85. OTOH, old players will decline at some point. Players can also decline due to catastrophic injuries. All of this is realistic.

"Ozzie going from a 99 to a 98 is probably just your scouting system slightly changing its opinion on him;"

They changed their opinion back to 99 a couple of games later.