Thread: Resting Players

Resting Players

I'm curious about knowing how much rest to give players. Except for pitchers, the game doesn't tell you a lot about this.

In Baseball Mogul 2008, I didn't realize how badly I was overworking the players until I read their descriptions and saw that they all hated playing for my team. After a rest day or two, they stopped hating it. But Alan Ashby in Mogul 2008 is the only non-pitcher that I've ever seen show up as tired.

In Mogul 2018, the only indication that players are tired seems to be when you read their description, and it says that they're only batting .185 in their last 5 games (or some such).

To rest them, is it necessary to give them a complete off day, or is it good enough to just take them out of the starting lineup? If you pull a player from the lineup, but use him late as a pinch hitter, will he be partially rested for this? Or does he have to have the whole day off to benefit?

Re: Resting Players

I will not play my catcher 4 days in a row. Everyone else I sprinkle rest but it shows tired like in the lineup screen if they are tired as well.

My catcher is the only non-pitcher that I've ever seen show up as "Tired". Even when the description says that so-and-so is hitting .125 in his last 5 games, he still doesn't show up as tired.

But does resting him mean he gets the whole day off, or might you still use him as a pinch hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik View Post
    But does resting him mean he gets the whole day off, or might you still use him as a pinch hitter?
    I play BM 2013. I have found that I have to give a position player the day off completely for him to "recover" from his tiredness. No pinch anything. Catchers and older players are most likely to show as tired, from what I have seen. If you continue to play them anyway, they get "sore".

On that note, does it HELP to pull a player out of the game after, say, six innings to rest him? It helps with pitchers, of course, because they have pitch counts. But does it make a difference with position players?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik View Post
    On that note, does it HELP to pull a player out of the game after, say, six innings to rest him? It helps with pitchers, of course, because they have pitch counts. But does it make a difference with position players?
    OK, I found some old notes I had made on "tired" and "sore" players. Non-pitchers, of course. I found that there are different degrees of being tired. If a player just got tired, and you don't start him and say, use him as a pinch hitter, he may well be rested for the following day. But if the same player has been tired for 4-5 days, using him as a pinch hitter or defensive replacement, even for 1 inning, will leave him as still tired for the following day. Hope that makes sense.

Also, a tired player will perform at his normal level, according to the help menu. However, a sore player will perform at a substandard rate, and is also more susceptible to being injured. So if a player is "kinda tired", for just one or two days, you could eliminate his tiredness by giving him limited action in the next game. But a "really tired" player has to take the day off to recover.

So is there a setting to rest players or do you need to make sure there is an adequate replacement on the bench to play a position when a player gets tired?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..

Quote Originally Posted by daves View Post
    So is there a setting to rest players or do you need to make sure there is an adequate replacement on the bench to play a position when a player gets tired?
    My notes say that if you are just simming games (not playing manually), the computer rests tired players. You can change how the computer handles resting players by making an adjustment under "League Settings".