Thread: "Could not open simulator.dat for writing" [v21.06] [Fixed v21.07]

"Could not open simulator.dat for writing" [v21.06] [Fixed v21.07]

Error from program. Happens under classic 2018 and modern. Just bought/installed today.

EDIT:

I found that if I add a team to each league so there is 32 teams the errors encountered i.e. graphical problems/cannot open simulator/universe .dat go away.

Also the game slowing way down error is gone.

From the debug:
    1526220402 (Warning: Duplicate team 2 in day 159 in file Input\Schedules\162-U-555-555-I-2018.txt
    1526220402 (Warning: Duplicate team 2 in day 160 in file Input\Schedules\162-U-555-555-I-2018.txt
    Last edited by Clay Dreslough; 05-15-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Re: could not open simulator.dat for writing.

Does this cause the game to hang or stop running? Or is it just an error message?

From the FAQ (https://www.sportsmogul.com/faq.html):

I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT BASEBALL MOGUL "CAN'T OPEN" A FILE FOR WRITING
    We have had some reports of Baseball Mogul being unable to open "Simulator.dat" or "MogFame.dat". The inability to open files for writing indicates one of the following:

1) Your hard drive is full. Close Baseball Mogul, free up some space, and try again.
    2) Windows is low on memory. Closing all other applications and rebooting should fix this.
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2018!

Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

Clay,

Game stops with the error on screen

HD not full 1 TB left
    Windows not low on memory - 12 gigs and nothing else running

Never had this problem with Diamond and last years version

Doesn't explain why when I add 2 teams for a total of 32 ALL errors go away i.e. graphical, inability to write to simulator.dat and slow down.

By adding 2 teams I use a different schedule?

Regards

And you rebooted?

It's not just that Windows might be "low on memory", it might be low on one kind of memory -- specifically graphical resource handles. I use an app called SetupBuilder to create the installation files for Baseball Mogul, but it has a bug that it eats up graphical resources every time I run it until all the buttons disappear -- both inside SetupBuilder and inside any other applications I run -- until I reboot. And when this happens, I get the same graphical errors inside Baseball Mogul that are being reported.

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2018!

Yep see attached classic 2018 seasonName:  Screenshot (80).png
Views: 33
Size:  1.01 MB

Same PC using last years version nothing has changed
    Windows 10
    Newest I5 Nvidia 750 GTX
    Have no problems with any other programs/games I use. I STILL get this error

1526480250 (Warning: Duplicate team 2 in day 159 in file Input\Schedules\162-U-555-555-I-2018.txt
    1526480250 (Warning: Duplicate team 2 in day 160 in file Input\Schedules\162-U-555-555-I-2018.txt

I JUST tried it again and added 2 teams one to NL Central and one to AL Central NO problems at all and nothing in the debug

I downloaded the game twice and installed it twice just to make sure not a corrupt download

It looks like this is being caused by downloaded logos using a PNG format that Baseball Mogul can't handle.

I should have a patch up tonight. For a workaround in the meantime, you should be able to fix the problem by deleting every file in the Downloads folder inside the Logos folder (e.g. "C:\Sports Mogul\Baseball Mogul 2018\Logos\Downloads")

Clay

EDIT: Patch is now up (Version 21.07): https://www.sportsmogul.com/baseball-mogul-updates.html
    Last edited by Clay Dreslough; 05-17-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2018!