Thread: Time Limit on "new version" popup

Time Limit on "new version" popup

soooooo maybe this is crazy, but...if I am playing BM11 out of personal preference (because I find that to be the most stable, acceptable version)...I feel like I shouldn't be spammed every day with "BM2012 is now available!!"

Especially since that version is 6 years old at this point
    aaaand since I bought it, and just don't like it

I would recommend either:
    1) stop these popups (best choice!)
    2) have the popups cease if that version exists in the SportsMogul folder (next best choice!)
    3) at the goddamn least, have the popups cease at a given year. So, say, stop spamming a user to buy BM2012 when its 2014? or 2016? Simple clock check should do the trick, no?

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

Re: Time Limit on "new version" popup

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post
    soooooo maybe this is crazy, but...if I am playing BM11 out of personal preference (because I find that to be the most stable, acceptable version)...I feel like I shouldn't be spammed every day with "BM2012 is now available!!"

Especially since that version is 6 years old at this point
    aaaand since I bought it, and just don't like it

I would recommend either:
    1) stop these popups (best choice!)
    2) have the popups cease if that version exists in the SportsMogul folder (next best choice!)
    3) at the goddamn least, have the popups cease at a given year. So, say, stop spamming a user to buy BM2012 when its 2014? or 2016? Simple clock check should do the trick, no?
    It's weird I don't get those...and I only play BM 11

Why is it that we are entering into 2018 and BM 11 is the game people seem to enjoy the most. Also, mods have not been updated and it seems like people have just given up completely on this game, which makes me very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SheriffJoe View Post
    Why is it that we are entering into 2018 and BM 11 is the game people seem to enjoy the most. Also, mods have not been updated and it seems like people have just given up completely on this game, which makes me very sad.
    A number of changes the game made after '11 have caused a decline in play-ability of the product.

I'd at least consider BBM Diamond if, for no other reason, you're able to edit ratings directly (rather than having to change predicted stats to find the right balance). In my opinion, this was the best addition in the last few versions. So much easier than editing predicted stats to change one simple rating. There was nothing worse than trying to continually modify a pitcher's predicted stats to increase their movement, endurance, and so on without screwing up the other ratings. You just toggle up/down every category you want to edit.

Name:  BM.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  167.1 KB

I'm the opposite - I hate the new rating editor...I would love to see the ability to use either - enter predicted stats, and it assigns the ratings, or enter the ratings directly.

I've stuck with Diamond. I enjoy the effort of entering stats and seeing the ratings that the game produces based on my input.

I also don't like the player development mechanism used in 2016/17... players seem to all develop super quickly, and then drop off very quickly... you'll never seen someone older than 35 or so.
    Bill Mueller was the best third baseman in the year 2003. He was not the best third baseman when I wrote my first signature, because that was in 2001...

Quote Originally Posted by catomi02 View Post
    I'm the opposite - I hate the new rating editor...I would love to see the ability to use either - enter predicted stats, and it assigns the ratings, or enter the ratings directly.
    You can! You just click the "Edit Stats" button to edit statistics instead. I haven't tried it very much to see how closely it relates with the ratings, but you're able to do either.

I do that for things like entering a pitcher's predicted ground balls (to increase ground ball percentage) or a batter's HBPs.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    You can! You just click the "Edit Stats" button to edit statistics instead. I haven't tried it very much to see how closely it relates with the ratings, but you're able to do either.

I do that for things like entering a pitcher's predicted ground balls (to increase ground ball percentage) or a batter's HBPs.
    I tried to use the "edit states" tab but find it a bit difficult to have my changes stick. They have a tendency to revert

I did that when the game first came out and as per Clay, the edit stats button doesn't do anything to affect ratings. If that changed with more recent updates, I must have missed it.

My problem with the mods forum is there's no way to access anything anymore.

I play BM2013 and I get the popups for the next version as well.

I haven't bought a more recent version because I have seen no reason to. I only play historical seasons, so I don't need the roster updates. Like Bingle, I think I would like the new way to edit ratings. I edit a lot, and that looks like something I would like.

For me, it isn't the money. I have considered just giving up the $40 and not using the recent version, but that seems wrong somehow. I would gladly pay $100 if I could get a couple of the changes I have wanted for 10 years. Those changes are:

1) Accurate schedules. Historical schedules remain rather bad, and are inaccurate. For example, if you play a game in 1965, two 10 team leagues. Your team should play exactly 18 games against each other team in the league, 9 at home and 9 away. However, in BM, you will play 16 or 17 games against some opponents, and 19 or 20 against others. (Before anyone asks, this is supposed to be a "balanced" schedule).

That's bad enough, but additionally there a ton of "one series" home stands and road trips. Take Detroit, and play 3 against the Yankees at home, then go to Chicago for 3, then come home to play Boston for 4, then hit the road again for 3 in Cleveland, etc. That's unrealistic, and I don't like it. An occasional home stand or road trip against one team is ok, but not 20 or 25 times a year.

Another issue with divisional play schedules is that, in September, teams historically play only (or nearly only) division rivals. In BM, you often have zero division games in September. This is absurd, and wholly unrealistic. I just pulled up the demo version of BM2017, and called up the NL schedule from 30 years ago, 1988. In BM, with the lone exception of a 3 game series with Reds vs Dodgers, all NL West teams spend September playing only NL East teams. That's normal for BM, and really isn't acceptable.

2) An option for a start date. Currently the default is March 1. Used to be April 1, until it mercifully got moved back a month. I would prefer to take over a team on the day after the World Series ends. Nobody gets a new manager, GM, or owner on March 1. Well, I suppose something like that has rarely happened. Teams start making changes as soon as a season ends. Would be nice to begin changing your roster at that time.

Also, I have always wanted an option to play the historical postseason again. That's the stuff I like to do. I wonder if I could take the '60 Pirates and upset mighty NY. Would like that option as a starting point.

I might mention that I have made my own schedules for many historical seasons. This takes a lot of time, as you might guess, but it was worth it. And if I do say so myself, my schedules are vastly superior to the ones that come with the game.

Like many others, I wanted a Rule 5 and 40 man rosters, along with am accurate DL, but I can do without those things. If I get the improvements that matter to me, I will gladly pay twice the price for a new game.