View Poll Results: Do you still play Baseball Mogul?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • i do and im in a league

4 40.00%
  • i do but im not in a league

4 40.00%
  • i used to play but not anymore

2 20.00%
  • the game isnt what it used to be so i stoped playing

1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: where have all the leagues gone?

where have all the leagues gone?

ive been hee in and out for some years now. well i just took a look to see if there where any leagues going on, but to my dismay it seems like there are few leagues or they are going strong from a few iterations of BBM ago. this post it to gauge the interest of the game. im working on a program for online leagues but if there is no interest in the game anymore im not sure that i want to release or continue working on the app. if you could post in this thread and give me a little info.
    1 Do you still play Baseball Mogul?

2 Are you in a league, if so how many and how long have you been in said league/leagues?

3 is there something that can be done to spark more interest in the game?

Re: where have all the leagues gone?

I rarely play Baseball Mogul single player any longer. There just seem to be too many issues with the last several versions to make it worthwhile. That being said, I am in 2 leagues, and I enjoy them both a lot. First Class Mogul has been around for 7 years and is in 2073 and generally has a waiting list. I've been a part of the last 30 seasons, and it's by far the most active league I've ever participated in. I'm also in Old School Mogul League, which is smaller and less active, but is still fun. We actually need a couple of GMs in that league, so if anyone is interested in signing up, check us out at http://sandasyianniosml.proboards.com/. This is a retro league that is currently about to start the 1983 season.

I believe the main thing that is holding interest down the last several years is the lack of a virtually finished product upon release. This really needs to be the case to keep people interested. Instead there are always several bugs upon release that require multiple patches to get the game to a very playable level. Also, it seems like the AI definitely needs an overhaul when it comes to trades and roster management. I haven't played 2017 at all, but the past several versions have very few trade offers from computer owned teams. Also teams with high payrolls routinely trade for MLB quality players they don't need and just stash guys in AAA. If Clay really wants interest in this product to be rejuvenated, I suggest he focus on these issues, along with giving users more features such as 25 & 40 man rosters, more flexibility with league divisional formats, and better historical rosters that have more accurate player ratings.

I could live with some bugs and ratings irregularities, but I couldn't live with the poor rosters that were put out the last two years (incl the demo). There used to be a guy on here who would painstakingly go through them and fix them, but after fixing 2 or 3 teams, I gave up. There were some egregious errors (I listed them once, on Facebook I think) but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I have no idea who does them (Conner or Clay) but someone needs to get "on the ball". They're both very nice guys, but................

After a week only 5 votes.

I don't have the time for leagues, but I do enjoy the game. The biggest improvement lately is the web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..

Quote Originally Posted by daves View Post
    After a week only 5 votes.

I don't have the time for leagues, but I do enjoy the game. The biggest improvement lately is the web site.
    Well I am actually wondering how many people play the game period anymore. There isn't much activity on this forum as compared to 5 or more years ago. That leads me to believe that the game is near bugless or else Mogul has lost many of its regulars over the years. It is a good game. Just doesn't seem like there is much change from year to year.

I don't think there is much mystery here. The product has been so poor lately it has driven people away and all but a few stragglers are left. I think there are still people that play it but the thriving forum and league environment has dried up.

I am the admin at FCM and basically every time we lose a GM it is a threat to being able to stay open. The pool of active players has dwindled to the point of near extinction.

It's sad, mogul is especially excellent for league play, but I don't see things turning around until the product has a sustained run of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by leefoo View Post
    I could live with some bugs and ratings irregularities, but I couldn't live with the poor rosters that were put out the last two years (incl the demo). There used to be a guy on here who would painstakingly go through them and fix them, but after fixing 2 or 3 teams, I gave up. There were some egregious errors (I listed them once, on Facebook I think) but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I have no idea who does them (Conner or Clay) but someone needs to get "on the ball". They're both very nice guys, but................
    Wow. I hardly know where to begin. Considering how this baseball product has only a handful of programmers, and not being published by a major software company, I say that Baseball Mogul is a superb product. All the major gaming software companies have large teams of designers, programmers, and testers to groom the final released product. Even then, those games have bugs. With Baseball Mogul, you stated, "someone needs to get 'on the ball'"? You don't think Clay and the others are not working their tails off trying to fix and improve their games? My guess is that with the total income made from the sales, they can not afford to hire help, or they would have already expanded the operation. For myself, I'm just greatly appreciative of this fine game. I wish I had discovered Baseball Mogul sooner. Heck, I wish it were around when I was a kid. I suits me perfectly; the kind of game I would have created if I know how (chuckle).

to the ppl who replied and or voted to this thread I say thank you. the point of the thread was to gauge whether or not to continue work on my online stat tracking program. some of you old school players may have heard me talk about it I have had a version of it up quite awhile ago. I've been working on a new iteration of it recently to make it quicker with the queries. anyway, im going to post a thread with the concept and see if I can get a better feel of the need for something like this. thanks again fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins43 View Post
    Wow. I hardly know where to begin. Considering how this baseball product has only a handful of programmers, and not being published by a major software company, I say that Baseball Mogul is a superb product. All the major gaming software companies have large teams of designers, programmers, and testers to groom the final released product. Even then, those games have bugs. With Baseball Mogul, you stated, "someone needs to get 'on the ball'"? You don't think Clay and the others are not working their tails off trying to fix and improve their games? My guess is that with the total income made from the sales, they can not afford to hire help, or they would have already expanded the operation. For myself, I'm just greatly appreciative of this fine game. I wish I had discovered Baseball Mogul sooner. Heck, I wish it were around when I was a kid. I suits me perfectly; the kind of game I would have created if I know how (chuckle).
    I think all of us here love the game. But there absolutely are reasons to question the effort being put in. The product has been sub-par and borderline unfinished a few times.

I'd like to see that reverse, the game has so much good about it but it has plenty of ways it could be improved too.

I'm not too much into online leagues for BBM. Partially because I'm not that good at them... also because I mostly like simming in BBM and not the micromanagement of each week.
    Bill Mueller was the best third baseman in the year 2003. He was not the best third baseman when I wrote my first signature, because that was in 2001...

I know I'm bumping an old thread but I just wanted to say that even though the Baseball Mogul community is slowly dying, there are still some good online leagues out there that could use a few more GMs. FCM, the longest running league of them all, seems to keep a full league at all times but others like OSML, NAM, and my league GBA seem to have a problem finding GMs who are interested in playing in an online league. Like TheLeviathan said above, Baseball Mogul is excellent for league play. Everyone who's in my league and any other league has a lot of fun. There's nothing like being the GM of your own team and trying to figure out every little advantage you can find in order to win your league's world series. If you think you're a good GM you need to be playing in an online league. Single player is fun but playing against the computer is hardly competitive. Beyond the competition, sometimes the best thing about being in a mogul league is the people you play with. We talk about all sorts of things in our XAT chats which are located at the top of each league's webpage. There's a comradery to playing in a mogul league that's unlike anything I've ever experience in fantasy sports. Talking trades with a real person instead of the computer is an actual challenge. Not only do you have to know what to look for in terms of the game itself but you have to be a shrewd negotiator as well.

There are still 4 healthy long term leagues running in the mogul community and we're all very helpful in terms of teaching new folks how to play. Visit the Baseball Mogul: Online Leagues section of the forum and you'll find GBA (which is my league I run), FCM (the longest running league in mogul), NAM (my personal favorite league), and OSML (a retro league looking to expand in '93, like in real life). I know the guys who run each of these leagues and they're all sweethearts. Stop by, chat us up, talk some sports, and take a team. You won't regret it.

In my last post in this thread I stated that Baseball Mogul online leagues are slowly dying. While that still may be true, we won't go down without a fight. In order to be more attractive and accessible to a younger generation of mogul players, I've went ahead and created a discord for the mogul community to all get together and chat about mogul, sports, politics, and whatever else is on your mind. We're a good group of guys & gals and pretty much all of us are in leagues but you don't have to be in a league to come chat. The way I have the discord set up is there's a general discussion area then there's a sub-server for each individual league. Feel free to stop by and introduce yourself in the general discussion area, there's usually always someone online willing to chat.

For those that don't know, discord is basically a chat room that you can use pretty much anywhere, they even have an app for your phone. It's free to use, you don't even have to sign up for anything, you can just type in a screen name and you're in.

https://discordapp.com/invite/ZJvNc3a

I'm Poldi or PoldiGBA, I hope to see you there.