Thread: Harvey Haddix pitched perhaps the best game ever -- and lost

Harvey Haddix pitched perhaps the best game ever -- and lost

Harvey Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings and ....

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette May 24, 2009
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/200905240102

Re: Harvey Haddix pitched perhaps the best game ever -- and lost

If this is the one that I'm thinking it is, I've heard a lot about that particular game. I think it was 1959 and he lost 1 0 if I'm not mistaken...

Re: Harvey Haddix pitched perhaps the best game ever -- and lost

In addition to the superb performance of Haddix, the game had a bizarre ending. In the bottom of the 13'th, after 36 consecutive batters had been retired, the Braves got their first base runner when Felix Mantilla grounded to Don Hoak at third, but reached on a throwing error. Perfect game gone.

Hall of Famer to be Eddie Mathews, one of the top 5 hitters in the league, laid down a bunt and sacrificed Mantilla to second. Hank Aaron was intentionally walked to set up the force play. Then Joe Adcock hit what appeared to be a walk-off 3 run homer.

However, Aaron, with his back to the play, got confused as he thought the ball had hit the wall and was in play. Inexplicably, Aaron slowed down, thinking the game had ended with Mantilla scoring, left the bases and ran into the dugout. Adcock actually passed him on the bases. An umpire ruled that Adcock was out, and the game ended in a 2-0 Milwaukee win. Later the score was changed to 1-0. The ruling was that Adcock was credited with a double, scoring just one run. What a day.