Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trump, As In Rump (by Bill James)

Trump, As In Rump (by Bill James)

Editorial by Bill James, written on February 23, 2016.

TLDR: James hates Trump, but elucidates why his message is appealing, and identifies with people who agree with that message.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2018!

Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

Re: Trump, As In Rump (by Bill James)

I was going to offer an elaborate anecdote from my evolutionary psychology class taken via dual enrollment opportunity (during high school years) but the subject matter is too decidedly controversial for this given context.

lol ... America figured it all out Nov 8 ... JUST FINE .. who the rump was in this election.

I have waited all year to post this one : )
    Pete's 2015 - OPENING DAY Rosters for BM09 & BM10 & BM11 & BM12 & BM13 & BM14 & BM15

https://app.box.com/s/9ru93887rf4h2nrcckiqpy7yatynqfm1

2015 Missing Players PHOTOS by Teams
    http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthr...75#post1616775

1975 Full Season Photo Pack (839 pics)
    This pack includes every player that played in 1975 (except for 9 players).

https://app.box.com/s/9cr7v6c1hg23i84cn7a5

Gotta give the GOP credit, they are 2-0 in winning an election with fewer votes. Not sure its a long term strategy though.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

True that - Dubya certainly worked out well for them the first time lol. Made the whole party a shambles by 06 and 08. Took a black guy becoming president to rile up the rural dimwits.

Trump is a massive disaster. And btw, when the electoral college determines the guy, not a true majority, then "not my president" is OK. It was OK to do during bush's first term (let's not elect Dubya in 2004 either, great slogan) but once he got an actual majority vote in '04 he was kinda legitimate.

Trump will never get that far. The populace is horrified and he hasn't even had a drop of power yet.

The "wisdom" of the Electoral College process appears to be lost on many, even the "well educated". Just a little research into the the history of & why, will reveal much. The democrat party has been hijacked by far-left extremism, & Obama did not enhance the parties success as evidenced by mid-terms & this recent presidential run.
    Remove a small number of large "democrat policies run" cities & Mr. Trump wins the popular vote by millions. Remember, the President is elected by the states ( to represent all states ) as per the will of the people in each state. Otherwise, just a few major metropolitan areas would be able to control who holds that office & would ensure those are the only places a candidate would "need" to campaign in.

One more thought, I wonder which candidate this cycle received the most fraudulent votes.

First - no, the Democratic Party has stayed incredibly centrist. Obama? Hillary? Chuck Schumer? These are people that weren't sure on gay marriage. Heck Obama wanted republicans in his cabinet. None of them pushed for a $15 min wage or marijuana legalization or anything far left or progressive. Your viewpoint is either skewed or you have no facts.

Second, rural US already gets to fill their local governments with regressive republicans. Most states already have republican control in their legislature AND their governor. Then, these same backwoods swaths get to pack the US house with regressives as well. So their guys can block everything at the government level, be the Party of No for 8 years, and somehow not lose public trust.

If you think rural America needs more of a voice above and beyond complete state control and veto power over everything in the country, you are sorely mistaken.

If you seriously believe that the current "flailing" Democrat Party is representative of "centrists". Then it is you who is...misinformed. Which appears to be a common theme for those on the "left".
    Based on your rant, facts don't appear to matter; so we will have to agree to disagree.

I mentioned prominent centrist democrats, and mentions the far left, Bernie-side policy leanings that don't get mainstream dem traction. These are facts which you don't refute.

If you want to discuss facts, I'm all for it. If you want to rant like an idiot and not face truths, then please have a happy holiday, and know internally that you can't face a rational discourse with anyone outside your misinformed sphere.

Lol!
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

I'm taking a wait and see approach on Trump. I have no idea what he is going to do. That is part of his appeal. The good thing is as president he can really only do so much. I hope he does good but if he doesn't he will get voted out and maybe the Dems can gain back control of congress. Clinton was such a horribly flawed canidate. I voted for her but I showered afterward.

I work in a factory and am from Wisconsin. I was not surprised to see Trump win here. Hillary never even stepped foot in the state and the unions were not thrilled with her. I know many good people that I work with everyday who voted Trump. So it is what it is with Trump. This quote from Ohio really summed it up:

Look, I’m as progressive as anybody, okay? But people in the heartland thought the Democratic Party cared more about where someone else went to the restroom than whether they had a good-paying job,”
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

I only see one...person, ranting like an idiot. Like I stated, we will have to agree to disagree on your "facts". If you are sincere about rational discourse then my advice is, refrain from labeling folks you may disagree with by using insulting, ill-informed descriptions.

just for the record:

- you came in and posted about the electoral college being wise, and Obama being "hijacked" by the far left. 0 facts given.
    - I replied and presented facts - left-wing ideals that he has not embraced, the fact that his presidency has been largely centrist in tone and tried to be inclusive to republicans in his cabinets (facts)
    - you called my post a "rant", called me misinformed (like most on the left!), called the party that just won the popular vote with a terrible candidate "flailing" and then tried to exit with "agree to disagree", again presenting 0 facts or points of value

Just to be clear, that is when the conversation degraded. Calling names, not explaining yourself, and basically being a petty child.

This is what's sad - you don't want to discuss actual facts, just whatever is piped into your brain via Fox News or Brietbart. A majority of the voting populace doesn't see things like you do. So it might be worth your time to open your mind, express how you come to your viewpoint, and exchange rational discourse.

Or, just stay in your bubble, believe as you choose to or have been told to, until you die. Sounds like a rich and fulfilling existence, that does.

"True that - Dubya certainly worked out well for them the first time lol. Made the whole party a shambles by 06 and 08." not a fact
    "Took a black guy becoming president to rile up the rural dimwits." Typical left-wing name calling
    "Trump is a massive disaster." only to the MSNBC/CNN cool-aid drinkers
    "The populace is horrified" ( over Trump ) not a fact
    "First - no, the Democratic Party has stayed incredibly centrist. Obama? Hillary? Chuck Schumer?" not a fact...they are defintely "left of center" as per the country
    "Then, these same backwoods swaths get to pack the US house with regressives as well." more name calling

You also appear to suffer from the illusion that the democrat party & Obama, specifically, were being inclusive/friendly towards the republican party. Really, where have you been the last 8 years?
    Making broad statements/opinions do not make them facts.
    Again, we will have to agree to disagree on our...views.