Thread: why don't university professors get paid as much as baseball players?

why don't university professors get paid as much as baseball players?

when will university professors get paid as much as baseball players??

Re: why don't university professors get paid as much as baseball players?

An interesting question to say the least.

My guess though is until more emphasis is placed upon which colleges are performing best on measurable outcomes (with beautiful cheerleaders, a marching band and screaming supportive fans in tow), somehow learning is perceived as a mere given, but everything else (athletics. theatre, etc) is a superlative somehow. Perhaps a few professors could ignite something by challenging their BIG10, Pac10, ACC, etc. opponent to semester contest, leading to regional playoffs and a winner take all national championship before end of the semester...

You make a good point. Learning is an ongoing process that a favorite teacher, professor, etc., has instilled in our minds for life, yet--in comparison to Wayne Gretzky, Tom Brady and/or Michael Jordan, their contribution to society seems to pale in comparison. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    An interesting question to say the least.

My guess though is until more emphasis is placed upon which colleges are performing best on measurable outcomes (with beautiful cheerleaders, a marching band and screaming supportive fans in tow), somehow learning is perceived as a mere given, but everything else (athletics. theatre, etc) is a superlative somehow. Perhaps a few professors could ignite something by challenging their BIG10, Pac10, ACC, etc. opponent to semester contest, leading to regional playoffs and a winner take all national championship before end of the semester...

You make a good point. Learning is an ongoing process that a favorite teacher, professor, etc., has instilled in our minds for life, yet--in comparison to Wayne Gretzky, Tom Brady and/or Michael Jordan, their contribution to society seems to pale in comparison. Just my two cents.
    This is a colorfully thoughtful posting effort... if I was a team owner I may prefer a specialized academic for the managerial position with a probabilistic concentration over that of a(n) weathered sports veteran. On the other hand, if I was a tenured member of a university faculty I'd be less likely to fill a post in the mathematics department with a retired baseball player. Scholastic training tends to be more of an economical necessity being seen more highly than accumulated experience; unless the hypothetical candidate holds some kind of peculiar distinction that sets them apart as a unique asset.

When they learn to hit the curve ball.

first of all, this is a crap question. Many professors DO make more than professional baseball players. Average university professor salary - straight salary, before speaking fees or research grants - is over $98k. When you have a professor with tenure, that gets research grants, and takes the oddball visiting lecture or course assignment, you're looking at closer to a quarter of a million dollars a year.

"Professional Baseball Player" includes the 98% of guys that are in the minors, 90%+ of whom will never make the majors. Those guys (aside from 1st round draftees that got $1mil bonuses or more, and ex-MLB guys in AAA) don't make $98k. They make $2k a month while playing.

So if gefludyoushelf wants to ask the real question, I assume it would be "why don't the best professors get paid as much as the best baseball players int he world, as in the $3.82mil average MLB salary"

Which again is a stupid question, because supply of guys that can lecture about economics is higher than the supply of guys that can crush a curveball into the 3rd deck, or throw 98mph with command while 60,000 fans scream. Heck, some baseball players can be in the MLB from 25-35, then retire and go do that whole professor thing if they wanted, when they are 40-70. The reverse is not true - professors can't lecture for 40 yrs then switch to throwing 98mph heat at 65.

And yet still, if you take a second to look things up instead of posting semi colons and over-complicated moronspeak, you would find university professors making around, and in one case OVER, the MLB average salary. Professor David N Silvers makes $4.33mil a year. One example, sure, but combined with my earlier arguments, it refutes the question entirely.

There is a professor that makes more than MLB average salary.
    The average professor makes more than most professional baseball players in the minor leagues.

Ill-conceived, simplistic, and in the end, incorrect question.
    Last edited by Alloutwar; 11-03-2015 at 05:03 PM.