Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 65 Years of Political Hoaxes

65 Years of Political Hoaxes

In the 1930s, the theme song of the Progressive Democratic Party was “Happy Days Are Here Again.” What a change that is from the current unofficial theme song of the left which seems to be “Nobody Knows the Troubles I’ve Seen.” The left is in a constant state of high anxiety over impending doom. The cause of this doom changes periodically, but the message is always the same: “The end is near!”

People used to laugh at such eccentric notions; now the Democrats want to punish anyone who disagrees with their predictions of impending catastrophe.

In the 1950s, “Nuclear Holocaust” was just the thing to keep people up at night. Grade school children were called upon to hide under their desks with their hands over their heads as if this would protect them from a nuclear attack. Conelrad, the emergency broadcast system was advertised regularly on the radio just to remind everyone an attack could come at any moment.

Over time, people got tired of worrying about an attack that never came; so to replace the H-Bomb, Dr. Paul Ehrlich in 1968 came up with "The Population Bomb". Time magazine ran a cover story, and television documentaries were produced to convince the American public that soon we would be eating our dead because of a lack of food and arable land. Dr. Ehrlich’s book became a best seller, and anyone who disagreed was labeled an idiot and a science denier. To defuse the population bomb, it was recommended that birth control chemicals be placed it the public water supply. The recommendation was made by Dr. John Holdren, who is now President Obama’s National Science Advisor. Dr. Holdren did have one caveat, and that was that these chemicals should not affect our pets.

When The Population Bomb fizzled, a new crisis appeared on the horizon, “The New Ice Age.” Soon, we were told, we would all be freezing in the dark. Newsweek ran a cover story.

When this did not happen, we were soon warned about the "Depletion of the Ozone Layer" that was being caused by canned aerosol products and the refrigerant used in most homes and cars on which DuPont was about to lose its patent. A large segment of the population was predicted to imminently be in danger of coming down with skin cancer. Products were effectively banned; a new patented refrigerant was produced by DuPont; and now we seldom hear of the ozone layer.

"Acid Rain" was a grave concern. It was going to defoliate the forest; there would be no shade; and like the other scientific emergency fantasies, the end result would be death to all humans. Cockroaches, it was predicted, would survive.

"Nuclear Winter" had a short run as the next thing to worry about. ABC did a movie of the week on it. Dr. Ehrlich of The Population Bomb fame traveled the country scaring college students with his new horror stories. My son attended one of these sessions at George Mason University, and he reported that a young woman ran from the auditorium shrieking in fear.

Then "Global Warming" debuted in a crowded Congressional hearing room during a typically hot Washington summer day with the air conditioning turned off. The witness was sweating. How could anyone deny warming was here when you could see it right before your eyes?

Global warming did not happen, so a shift was made to "Climate Change". Since the climate changes over time that seems life a safe bet.

What is one to make of 65 years of predictions of impending doom from the left? Part of it is “Hey, look! A squirrel!” They do this in order to distract people from the real damage the left is doing to Western civilization. Another part is that these are very unhappy people, and misery loves company.

By Don Todd

Ah Yes, I remember them all ... what a crock all EIGHT have been.

You can add in "Social Security" as number NINE as well.
    Last edited by Pete4256; 04-27-2015 at 07:07 PM.
    Pete's 2015 - OPENING DAY Rosters for BM09 & BM10 & BM11 & BM12 & BM13 & BM14 & BM15

https://app.box.com/s/9ru93887rf4h2nrcckiqpy7yatynqfm1

2015 Missing Players PHOTOS by Teams
    http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthr...75#post1616775

1975 Full Season Photo Pack (839 pics)
    This pack includes every player that played in 1975 (except for 9 players).

https://app.box.com/s/9cr7v6c1hg23i84cn7a5

Re: 65 Years of Political Hoaxes

LOL this reminds me of when Dickay brought up the Ozone layer as a hoax. I don't get it - we find a problem, regulations slow the problem, and eventually the problem might go away, if we're lucky:

It has been estimated that the ozone layer will recover to 1980 levels near the middle of the 21st century.[7]
    Victory, maybe no permanent harm done if we're lucky, go science and regulations, right? No, it's a HOAX! It was never ANYTHING!

It's like you can't bring anything less than imminent holy rapture to a conservative's attention without being lambasted. "I didn't die in brimstone and fire! Therefore it was a HOAX! I gave up spraying CFCs for something we aren't even TALKING about anymore?!?!"

What a bunch of numbnuts

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post
    LOL this reminds me of when Dickay brought up the Ozone layer as a hoax. I don't get it - we find a problem, regulations slow the problem, and eventually the problem might go away, if we're lucky:

Victory, maybe no permanent harm done if we're lucky, go science and regulations, right? No, it's a HOAX! It was never ANYTHING!

It's like you can't bring anything less than imminent holy rapture to a conservative's attention without being lambasted. "I didn't die in brimstone and fire! Therefore it was a HOAX! I gave up spraying CFCs for something we aren't even TALKING about anymore?!?!"

What a bunch of numbnuts
    First of all, if you believe all this ozone layer crap there's plenty of bridges for sale that truly have been emaculately upkept.

Secondly, whenever we mess with the environment there always seems to be unintended consequences that make matters worst. Same scientists cheering the ozone success are the ones claiming that the fixing ozone layer may be making climate change worst. What a bunch of numbnuts.

Oh, geez, no dickay...I thought you had learned something that day. I thought you were like the Grinch, only instead of a heart, it was a brain. I thought maybe you took 2 minutes to read the ozone facts and science, and you walked away having learned something, so you could be less ignorant on the internetz from then on. That's depressing.

But no, it must be 'crap'. Yes, ozone layer crap, perpetrated by Big...Science. Corroborated independently by scientists whose ideals and facts are nothing in the face of that big paycheck they get from...uhh...grants, I guess? In a world of big oil and big pharma and big agriculture, the one to be most skeptical of, is definitely those dastardly money-driven...scientists. Ugh.

No one is cheering the ozone success. Remember?
    and now we seldom hear of the ozone layer.
    Those scientists don't exist, so they CAN'T be claiming anything about ozone layer as it relates to climate change.

I know it serves your goal to conflate all these issues and put them in the same can, but it's ineffective and incorrect. Aside from being largely man-made, there's not much relation. It takes just a minute to google that from one great source.

But lookout! I am sure dirty nasty scientists had something to do with that!

What exactly is it about 'scientists' that fears/perturbs so many conservatives? Did you all watch a lot of Frankenstein movies growing up? I mean if you look at these issues objectively, with big companies pushing one angle that serves their financial interests (with TONS of money), and scientists 99% pushing the other side, with facts and minimal agenda (with ridiculously tiny fractions of that money)...what exactly would make someone'a brain go "Yes! I trust those big companies WAY more that those dorks in labcoats! All those nerds must be LYING! Together! Independently!"

@ Alloutwar

For crying out load man, follow the MONEY. The DuPont patent was up, open your eyes and read what was really going on. Thank goodness DuPont had the solution with a new patented refrigerant ... lol

Scientists now have confirmed the Ozone opens and closes (by God's design) in order to regulate the temperature of the earth.

More NASA news to feast on:

The ozone hole forms every year over Antarctica and its extent varies annually. In some years, such as 2006 and 2011, the hole has appeared to be very large, while in other years, such as 2012, the hole looked smaller.

According to the NASA scientists the variation may be due to the weather, which has been a more significant factor in the complex system than had previously been suggested.
    Fluctuations in temperature in the lower stratosphere and wind patterns alter the amount of ozone gas that settles above Antarctica. (God not me and you is controlling this feat).
    “At the moment, it is winds and temperatures that are really controlling how big it is,” Dr. Strahan said.
    “It’s not going to be a smooth ride,” said Dr. Strahan. “There will be some bumps in the road, but overall the trend is downward.”
    Complete recovery according to new research (2014) by NASA scientists is projected to be achieved sometime around 2070.(And Mankind as a whole with have done nothing to accomplish this recovery).

The ball's in your end of the court.
    Pete4256
    Pete's 2015 - OPENING DAY Rosters for BM09 & BM10 & BM11 & BM12 & BM13 & BM14 & BM15

Ah good ol climate change, what a bunch of liberal weenie propaganda nonsense

*looks out window and sees snowpeak gone on the mountains in California*
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

FWIW, all this:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete4256 View Post
    For crying out load man, follow the MONEY. The DuPont patent was up, open your eyes and read what was really going on. Thank goodness DuPont had the solution with a new patented refrigerant ... lol
    Is completely wrong:

DuPont, which made 1/4 of the world's CFCs, spent millions of dollars running full-page newspaper advertisements defending CFCs in 1975, claiming there was no proof that CFCs were harming the ozone layer. Chairman Scorer of DuPont commented that the ozone depletion theory was "a science fiction tale...a load of rubbish...utter nonsense." (Chemical Week, 16 July 1975).

The aerosol industry also launched a PR blitz, issuing a press release stating that the ozone destruction by CFCs was a theory, and not fact. This press release, and many other 'news stories' favorable to industry, were generated by the aerosol industry and printed by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Fortune magazine, Business Week, and the London Observer (Blysky and Blysky, 1985). The symbol of Chicken Little claiming that "The sky is falling!" was used with great effect by the PR campaign, and appeared in various newspaper headlines.
    Corporate money was spent on news and PR to influence goobers AGAINST the science. If DuPont was going to profit from anything regarding CFC removal, they sure spent a crapload of money to avoid all those profits.

How can you spout something like that, that just has no basis? Seriously I can look up anything and immediately refute the BS you guys post - and not by a one-off outlier or political machine, but peer reviewed studies and authoritative articles from people at the top of their field. It's like the whole climate denier line of thinking relies on you not having a critical (jesus, functional!) mind at all to start with. That's crazy.

Pete, do you think that if we cut down all the trees on earth that more would magically grow for us to use for houses/fires/etc? Or do you just think that there are endless trees and we could never cut them all down? Really wondering which way the ignorance blows in your particular reality
    Last edited by Alloutwar; 04-28-2015 at 08:48 AM.

So you believe the hole in the ozone opened on its own, and will magically heal itself on its own - and that has nothing to do with the things we found harmful to it and stopped using?
    Not MAGIC ... God's design.

Like our scientists have confirmed and proven the ozone hole has opened and closed 3 times recently. Proving our actions cannot control the swings of the ozone by anything we chose to do or not do. Your belief seems to me to be we can control the ozone by our actions when scientist have confirmed the ozone is freely opening and closing ... NOT doing one or the other but both in order to control the temperature of the earth.

Pete, do you think that if we cut down all the trees on earth that more would magically grow for us to use for houses/fires/etc? Or do you just think that there are endless trees and we could never cut them all down? Really wondering which way the ignorance blows in your particular reality
    Now like a true Progressive, you want to change the subject to something else, in this case "Conservationism". No thanks, stay on subject matter ... the ozone.

Regards
    Pete4256

Quote Originally Posted by ragecage View Post
    Ah good ol climate change, what a bunch of liberal weenie propaganda nonsense

*looks out window and sees snowpeak gone on the mountains in California*
    The topic is the Ozone not climate change. Besides we all know Climate change was a scam. Per the 2009 UK's own science community's emails. Don't you just love modern technology? Unless you are Mrs. Clinton ... then you just DELETE it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgKJpJyDXQ

Clearly shows the best weather model can only predict weather patterns of TWO DAYS into the future. And that the current climate change models do not even simulate PAST KNOWN weather conditions.

Climate Change is a CLOSED topic, it isn't a real issue.

Pete on the OZONE your DuPont line was BS and has been debunked. Check the edited post. Big corporate money fights the science. Keep buying it hook line and sinker, and show why your generation was the biggest failure we've seen.

Pete on the OZONE your DuPont line was BS and has been debunked. Check the edited post. Big corporate money fights the science. Keep buying it hook line and sinker, and show why your generation was the biggest failure we've seen.
    Okay, now the BS name calling starts ... this thread is over.

Pete, i am pretty much on your side when it comes to the government propaganda and corporate profitability of these hoaxes... but you start to lose my attention by getting all preachy with "God's design" and that ********. (or maybe i just prefer to call it "Mother Nature"... the global ecosystem of our planet self-correcting over time...)

AOW, i love the evidence you provided from the scientific community... but your argument loses momentum on two occasions: #1 - resorting to personal insults (https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem); and #2 - using extreme examples to try to make your point... if we cut down all of the trees (which yes, is absolutely physically possible and no, Mother Earth would not immediately grow new trees to sustain life), the most likely scenario is that we would not be able to breathe and therefor humanity would become extinct... life on Earth would be at a crossroads, with the planet either slowly rebuilding an inhabitable ecosystem or probably burning constantly (i am no scientist, but without plants consuming carbon dioxide to convert into oxygen, i imagine that CO2 takes over the atmosphere, which then starts to heat up, and eventually cooks itself from solar radiation)

all-in-all, this thread has been as classic liberal-vs-conservative argument. both sides played it by the book, in their respective strengths as well as faults. this was an excellent read, and i thank you both!!

a few points
    1) our governments 'propaganda' surely wouldn't account for scientists from other countries reaching the same conclusions? Or leading them? Do you really think that governments and corporations teamed up, and together pushed 99.8% of scientists to publish the same findings and corroborate each other?

2) how exactly do corporations profit from any of this? DuPont, as already stated, spent bajillions fighting the ozone/CFC science. Gas companies have spent bajillions over the last 15 years to drown out climate science and prop up the 0.2% of 'skeptics' as having a valuable point of view (they don't). Many of the people behind that movement are the same as those telling us smoking wasn't bad for us. Maybe a few solar companies or alternative energy people make money, but hey, Exxon and others finally invested in that arena too (hedging the bets since the misinformation campaign doesn't affect those damn smarties out there).

3) Your description of tree loss is accurate IMO. I point it out because Pete has previously talked about there being 'plenty of damn trees,' to point out his extreme ignorance of all these topics. What's odd is, I like to get into the other side's brain - hence my questions above. It's not just 'you are wrong!' but more of a 'how the heck can you even be looking at it that way?' My very conservative brother in law and I have had long conversations about class warfare and race, and while he's very opposite of my views, we can get a little into the formation of his thoughts and experiences, which helps me understand. I like to do the same, which is why I was happy before when I thought Dickay learned something about the ozone damage. It's disappointing when people aren't out to learn, but just shout their viewpoint (as factless or ignorant as it may be) and refuse to ever learn a thing or budge an inch. That will never be me, and the people in that mold are probably the saddest on Earth.

4) If you have read any history in these topics, you would definitely be rethinking calling me out for any personal insults. The lovely two I could be accused of throwing out here are
    a) numbnuts? Thats pretty low level and tame. And being used against people that create articles like this (or further them) that are illogical and false, and not even remotely objective, are certainly deserving of that. I'll always respect someone else's opinion, but not their own facts.
    b) calling Pete out for being in 'the worst generation' is also pretty tame, but in my experience, completely true. The Americans that are currently aged 59-75 are just about the worst, in terms of letting terrible politicians run wild (Nixon, Reagan, etc), letting corporations influence elections and policy, and letting corporate tax be avoided. They've also, by and large, let huge issues (extinctions, climate change, etc) just go on unabated while they focus on themselves - to the point of not knowing thing 1 about just about any of these issues. All that by itself might be fine, if they just shut up about it - but instead it's always pushing that whole 'it's all a hoax, it doesn't matter, it's not real'. It's like they're trying to retroactively make their inaction justified, by calling everything they've ignored or dragged their feet on for decades irrelevant. It's intellectually dishonest and cowardly. And it's not universal, but its just a huge majority. Just look at Fox News viewership.

To think the generation before was living in the Great Depression, enlisting to fight WWII at age 16 or 17, and producing Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn, just so this (59-75) generation could live fat off the hog and ignore everything outside their TV for 45 years, just makes my stomach turn. To see them try to sweep over facts to get away with it is worthy of the kind of divine cosmic retribution that I can only hope exists.

God's design. pfft, pick up a science book
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

So the implication here is that if the media is not talking about it the problem has gone away?

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov