Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Three strange observations as to how screwed up America is today

Re: Three strange observations as to how screwed up America is today

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    I'm fine if you wish to call your poor grammar "informal". It was you who came in here and started playing grammar police attacking informal internet chatter and ****ed it up. I never attached HGM's spelling, I attacked his ability to read and comprehend as the original post made perfect sense.
    No, you didn't just "attack" his "ability to read and comprehend"
    apparently he needs to add another issue about those in this country who can't read write and/or speak english.
    *emphasis mine
    You were clearly commenting on his ability to produce English.

If you're going to play grammar cop, you should make an attempt to be correct. Oh wait, you did that and failed.
    I was absoultely correct.
    It was you who tried to play grammar cop and failed.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    No, you didn't just "attack" his "ability to read and comprehend"

*emphasis mine
    You were clearly commenting on his ability to produce English.

I was absoultely correct.
    It was you who tried to play grammar cop and failed.
    "clearly" it wasn't so clear because that wasn't my intention. he says "wat" sarcastically about every 3rd post and I never corrected prior. In this case, the initial post was very clear and concise. The ability to read, write, and speak english is an issue many today take issue with. Now I took his "wat" to mean "what" as if he didn't understand what was said. "Clearly" I can't hear him speak so why would you just assume that I was referring to his ability to write then if I obviously wasn't referring to speech? Reaching for something? Trying to be a grammar cop? Trying to be an ass? All of the above? I took his "wat" to mean exactly what it is stylistic for, which is "what" and answered it accordingly. In addition to his poor ability to read, I added write and speak English since that issue as a whole, as previously stated, is something many take issue with.

I did not say "wat" because I literally did not understand what the post said. I said "wat" because it is just utterly stupid and not worth a serious response.

And, FWIW, I also thought that you were referring to the spelling, considering I didn't think you were dumb enough to think that I literally could not read what was written.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I did not say "wat" because I literally did not understand what the post said. I said "wat" because it is just utterly stupid and not worth a serious response.

And, FWIW, I also thought that you were referring to the spelling, considering I didn't think you were dumb enough to think that I literally could not read what was written.
    Apparently I was correct in my interpretation of your one word response, you were dumb enough to fail to read and comprehend. None of what he said (this time, I usually think he's a nut job) was "utterly stupid" and unworthy of being taken seriously. They were legitimate points.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete4256 View Post
    1. Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. But we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "work for" their money, but the second didn't.
    I believe it is because Social Security payouts are funded through dedicated Social Security payments whereas welfare and food stamps are not.

2. Why are we cutting benefits for our veterans, no pay raises for our military and cutting our army to a level lower than before WWII, but we are not stopping the payments or benefits to illegal aliens
    I don't know nor do I know that this is even true.
    I do know that we live in the most peaceful time in history so cutting the military seems to make some sense.

3. We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.
    Who are you listening to?
    I certainly don't have anyone advising me "to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few".

I'll let Dickay deal with Pete's shitty grammar and questionable ability to write in English.
    Last edited by filihok; 03-21-2015 at 05:36 AM.

None of what he said (this time, I usually think he's a nut job) was "utterly stupid" and unworthy of being taken seriously. They were legitimate points.
    ********. Everything he said was just parroted conservative rhetoric ********. He's nothing more than a tool.

The majority of people on food stamps do work! They basically allow business owners to under pay their employees because of the benefits of food stamps. The government is basically subsidizing companies like Wal-Mart. Part of Wal-Mart's orientation for new employees includes helping them to sign up for government aid. Food stamps actually probably stimulate the economy.

That was his least ridiculous point. The 2nd and 3rd points aren't even worth wasting time discussing.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Wow, maybe the stats about a significant number of Americans not being able to read are true? Dude, where did he say that people on food stamps don't work, or that food stamps are even a bad thing? In most cases money obtained for social security is money you've earned and paid into. That is not the case for food stamps. That's clearly what he meant by "worked for" and his overriding point was the scare tactics used by government which is 100% correct. Again, yes he's a nut most of the time and yes he likely does believe food stamps are a bad thing but wasn't what he was discussing in his post.

Wow, maybe the stats about a significant number of Americans not being able to read are true? Dude, where did he say that people on food stamps don't work, or that food stamps are even a bad thing? In most cases money obtained for social security is money you've earned and paid into. That is not the case for food stamps. That's clearly what he meant by "worked for" and his overriding point was the scare tactics used by government which is 100% correct. Again, yes he's a nut most of the time and yes he likely does believe food stamps are a bad thing but wasn't what he was discussing in his post.
    I try and stay out of these wars but if you are saying Pete never said food stamp recipient's don't work, I think you need to reread his post.

"But we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't"

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by acetoolguy View Post
    I try and stay out of these wars but if you are saying Pete never said food stamp recipient's don't work, I think you need to reread his post.

"But we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't"
    These forums going to hell. Please tell me ur being obtuse and truly understand what the difference is in what he's trying to say. Ugh.

These forums going to hell. Please tell me ur being obtuse and truly understand what the difference is in what he's trying to say. Ugh.
    And I thought I was the biggest troll on the board. Gotta bow down to Dickay. Respect.

lol

The misunderstanding appears to be on Pete's part.

What we have is a system which is stacked against a large number of the members of that system.

As I said to Jeffy back in the day, anyone can improve their place in the system, but not everyone can. If every member of the system woke up tomorrow and got a PhD it would change nothing about how the system is structured.
    People would still need to work at WalMart and those people would still need support beyond what they were being paid.

Our economic system is designed such that some people don't earn enough money to comfortably survive.

To say that those people don't work to earn some compensation from society as a whole is, at best, misinformed, and at worst ****ing disgusting.

fun read good job all
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

Funny how Dickay had no idea what HGM meant when he said wat, but is suddenly the Pete whisperer..
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln