• No preference

1 9.09%

Thread: Preferred BM version for league play

Preferred BM version for league play

Today there are 9 active leagues from what I've been able to compile:
    5 use BM15
    2 use BM14
    2 use BM11

When you play in leagues, what do prefer and why? What are you comfortable with in terms of features, engine, etc? Why is BM11 still around and kicking, but BM12 and BM13 aren't?

I just joined a BM15 league for the first time, and can say things look wonky in terms of ratings, stats, development, etc. BM seems to rush kids a lot, so that they're peaked and ready to debut at 20 or 21 when IRL the average is more 23-24, but I felt other versions were softer on this.

Re: Preferred BM version for league play

I've been one to always use the newest as it's the easiest when drawing people due to up-to-date rosters and the like, however I love the older versions for the way they play (notably BM 2009 and 2010).

There's way too much volatility with files at this stage of the game.

One reason I feel those 11 leagues are around is that perhaps it was a group of people that got back in the game and didn't want to purchase a newer version or simply that it's a longer standing league and they didn't want to A. start over or B. deal with transferring a file to a new version.

But you are exactly correct with the age issues. In my league I run right now, Major League Mogul, I have 4 players on my team all in that 20-22 age range that I have thrown into the majors because they are ready when in reality that just doesn't happen often.

I've also found the back end of peak end and longevity is even more meaningless in current mogul games as they often don't even survive their peaks with the random drops.

Baseball Mogul 2011 is the most stable for a few reasons:

1) Talent Distribution settings aren't perfect, but they are semi-effective at keeping talent levels from going insane. So it's valuable for a league setting to keep it realistic.

2) 2011 was made before some of the horrific changes to the defensive aspects of the game that has basically destroyed utility players, player conversions, and a whole host of other whacky effects.

Since 2011 we've just gone further and further down the rabbit hole of broken coding and funky play. I totally understand why people go back to it, it's hard to create a stable league file in any version after that. Hell, we started in 2011 and converting to '13 and '14 nearly killed our file.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Baseball Mogul 2011 is the most stable for a few reasons:

1) Talent Distribution settings aren't perfect, but they are semi-effective at keeping talent levels from going insane. So it's valuable for a league setting to keep it realistic.

2) 2011 was made before some of the horrific changes to the defensive aspects of the game that has basically destroyed utility players, player conversions, and a whole host of other whacky effects.

Since 2011 we've just gone further and further down the rabbit hole of broken coding and funky play. I totally understand why people go back to it, it's hard to create a stable league file in any version after that. Hell, we started in 2011 and converting to '13 and '14 nearly killed our file.

You have very good points and it's one of the reasons why mogul 11 was really the last of it's kind. You could control league talent prior to that, it was just really needed to have a good file setup to start and by controlling the artificial talent. Difficult, but doable.

Quote Originally Posted by leb View Post
    You have very good points and it's one of the reasons why mogul 11 was really the last of it's kind. You could control league talent prior to that, it was just really needed to have a good file setup to start and by controlling the artificial talent. Difficult, but doable.
    You're right leb, it was doable but it usually came at a high cost. I like the idea behind the talent distributions and I think in 2011/2012 you can create a good, realistic file. The problem is after that we started to see experimentation with some of the other things (player strategies, defensive ratings, predicted defensive stats, etc.) that really messed things up. Catchers are still not right and most guys are only capable of playing one defensive position.

I wish my league had never left 2011 quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You're right leb, it was doable but it usually came at a high cost. I like the idea behind the talent distributions and I think in 2011/2012 you can create a good, realistic file. The problem is after that we started to see experimentation with some of the other things (player strategies, defensive ratings, predicted defensive stats, etc.) that really messed things up. Catchers are still not right and most guys are only capable of playing one defensive position.

I wish my league had never left 2011 quite frankly.
    Yup. The thing with TD nowadays is that it seems peak end and longevity don't really matter because the likelihood of a player being usable when their peak should end is about 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by leb View Post
    Yup. The thing with TD nowadays is that it seems peak end and longevity don't really matter because the likelihood of a player being usable when their peak should end is about 25%.
    I've found with the right setting tweaks and some hard adjustments you can find that balance. Hell, even the default settings will work if you are willing to endure some tough years to get things right, but the initial mogul talent levels don't work well with the actual settings.

If you (or anyone) wants to see what we've done with FCM let me know. It's not perfect but we have pretty realistic career paths, best I've ever seen in mogul by far.