Thread: Mogul Leaguers Data Collection Project

Mogul Leaguers Data Collection Project

Hey there. I've been playing Mogul since 2006, and I've been bumbling around leagues since, I dunno, 2010? 2011? Anyway, it appears to me that BM doesn't have a lot of league action going on anymore. Here on the BM forum, you'll see only 4 or 5 active leagues posting in the last month or so. Those leagues that are around seem to always be clamoring to fill a few open spots. There are historical leagues like OSML that will be facing expansion in a few seasons and will need 4 more owners.

I'm kind of a data nerd by trade, so I'm going to try and organize data on all the mogulers I've ever played with, as well as all the leagues currently open and active. I'm sure I could dig up some guys who have been out of it for a few years and are willing to give it another try, and at the same time, identify those that are definitely out for good so we never bother them again.

Another slant of this, of course, would be feedback collection - kind of like an Angie's List or review system on both owners and leagues/admins. Don't you know that one owner that always causes a fight? Or the guy that always signs up excitedly but then never posts a lineup and has flaked out within 2 weeks? OR maybe that commish that isn't quite above-board? It's not a huge community so we probably know most of these guys, but getting independent feedback can't hurt. When you're looking at a league and file, you can tell some things, but having reviews at your fingertips might make your decision easier.

Maybe this is a lot of effort for not much gain (this is a community of like <200 people), but heck if I am going to be in a few leagues and spend this kind of time/effort, I'd like to take this extra step. It might help find owners, and maybe resuscitate the league activity a little bit for BM. Here's some interesting demographics from what I have seen already:

- mode (most common) birth year for a mogul leaguer is 1988
    - mean/average birth year is 1980 though (oldest weighing it down)
    - oldest mogul league player still active (that I know of) was born in 1935!! Wow! Clay, we should write a human interest story about this one!

If you want to be a part of this, send me an email (ailoutwar@aol.com). What I am looking for at first is:
    - handle (like mine is alloutwar), any other names you've used (or real/full name if you're comfortable)
    - aim name if you have one (I know, its 2015, yadda yadda)
    - DOB (just year if you want! No identify theft needed here)
    - Leagues you have admin'd, run, or served as a moderator
    - Leagues you've participated in as an owner, and any feedback
    - BM versions you have, or would play with
    - Preferences - Certain team you play only? throwback league guy, or current/future only? Anything you hate (agents, etc) or love in leagues? Are you looking for leagues, currently full with 1 or more, or retired and not coming back?

thanks for considering helping me out with this.

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

Re: Mogul Leaguers Data Collection Project

Your email says ailoutwar@aol.com.

Is that correct or is it supposed to be alloutwar@aol.com?

Yah it's ailoutwar. Got yours thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

Just sent one to you as well.

Thanks guys. Another aspect of this is getting league information, since our 'pinned' topics around current leagues are old and dead.

I currently have 9 leagues I've found that are active:
    FCM - First Class Mogul
    NSM - No Strike Mogul
    MLM - Major League Mogul
    OSML - Old School Mogul League
    NAM - New Age Mogul
    GBA - Global Baseball Association
    UMBL - Ultimate Mogul Baseball League
    HHSL - Homerun Heroics Sim League
    BMJ - Baseball Mogul Junkies

Can anyone add any others currently running?
    Last edited by Alloutwar; 02-24-2015 at 10:00 PM.

http://overtimeheroics.com/forumdisp...-15-Sim-League

In season 3 with a few teams open. We do stuff like live sims where I post box scores for teams since we have a few teams without mogul and we do stuff like GM Cash where you can use it to improve your team.