Thread: Varient

Varient

Has anybody looked at or thought about having defensive playbooks. I.E., since there are 4 offensive basic plays have 4 defensive formations and highlight a defensive player as is done for the offense. You could have an inside def card with a DT getting a bonus on a tackle or run which ever is highlighted. Let's say that off plays an inside run which offers the def player to use either Tackle or Run defense--if the def has committed an inside def with a tackle bonus he gets those points but if he selected a short pass def which only had Pass def then no bonus is forth coming and play proceeds as usual. What this does in effect is to have the def commit a player just as the off does. Now all of this might throw off the game balance but I was looking for a greater game play by the def--does this make any sense.

Re: Varient

Quote Originally Posted by benneythejet View Post
    Has anybody looked at or thought about having defensive playbooks. I.E., since there are 4 offensive basic plays have 4 defensive formations and highlight a defensive player as is done for the offense. You could have an inside def card with a DT getting a bonus on a tackle or run which ever is highlighted. Let's say that off plays an inside run which offers the def player to use either Tackle or Run defense--if the def has committed an inside def with a tackle bonus he gets those points but if he selected a short pass def which only had Pass def then no bonus is forth coming and play proceeds as usual. What this does in effect is to have the def commit a player just as the off does. Now all of this might throw off the game balance but I was looking for a greater game play by the def--does this make any sense.
    Audible cards are used for what you're trying to explain. We understand we could put a defensive position bonus on each playbook card, as we've tried, but it wouldn't work as well as the gameplay does now.
    Thanks!
    Connor Milliken

Sports Mogul
    Game Designer
    connor@sportsmogul.com

Re: Varient

I think what I will try is to have 4 def plays and play the game as normal. However, if the def play matches the off play than the off bonus will be negated--that way no need to have bonus def points to figure out. Because, there is a 25% random chance to pick the correct play the overall score might be diminished--however, this will at least give the player some def input where it actually pays to follow off traits. In any event, I'll keep this board updated.