Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ukraine

Ukraine

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...eshatters.html

Has anyone else been following the events in Ukraine? One of my best friends studies in Kiev (she is safe, her apartment is relatively far from Euromaidan), where I visited her a few years ago, so for me this is all incredibly surreal. I've been watching the live streams quite a bit over the past few days, watching areas where I've walked and taken photos be overcome by flames and swarming with riot police.

Re: Ukraine

The situation is craziness. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in the middle of it. As far as the political landscape goes, I really believe that Putin wants to be the next Stalin, and this is his attempt to bring Ukraine into the fold. Europe and the U.S. are going to have to stay on top of this one, possibly sanctioning the Ukraine government, and maybe even Russia as well.

I've been following it, talk about a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

Quote Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
    The situation is craziness. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in the middle of it. As far as the political landscape goes, I really believe that Putin wants to be the next Stalin, and this is his attempt to bring Ukraine into the fold. Europe and the U.S. are going to have to stay on top of this one, possibly sanctioning the Ukraine government, and maybe even Russia as well.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.575259 The EU will impose sanctions. 75 dead, 67 police officers taken prisoner, hundreds injured.

can someone explain to me why the US should stay atop of this one? I'm not much on Russian politics but what is the US role in this? Why do we have to listen to Obama draw yet another meaningless "line in the sand" bs? Wasn't it just a few ago where Russia invaded Georgia and the world pretty much turned a blind eye out of fears relating to oil distribution? I specifically remember Obama in a presidential debate back then saying that Russia wasn't much of a threat...so why now?

what are the US interests?

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    can someone explain to me why the US should stay atop of this one? I'm not much on Russian politics but what is the US role in this? Why do we have to listen to Obama draw yet another meaningless "line in the sand" bs? Wasn't it just a few ago where Russia invaded Georgia and the world pretty much turned a blind eye out of fears relating to oil distribution? I specifically remember Obama in a presidential debate back then saying that Russia wasn't much of a threat...so why now?

what are the US interests?
    Mostly it sounds like the U.S interests are in not having Russia be a bully to a democratic (if somewhat corrupt) country that has a large portion of the country that wants closer ties with Europe and the U.S. Ukraine also acts as a sort of "buffer country" between Russia and Poland, and Poland is a NATO member and basically despises Russia.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...ould-US-do-now

Mostly it sounds like the U.S interests are in not having Russia be a bully to a democratic (if somewhat corrupt) country that has a large portion of the country that wants closer ties with Europe and the U.S. Ukraine also acts as a sort of "buffer country" between Russia and Poland, and Poland is a NATO member and basically despises Russia.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...ould-US-do-now
    So in other words they have no real interests. Gotcha.

Not to mention NATO and other treaty organizations would seem even more powerless then they already do. Also, it is not just Poland who are afraid of Russia's actions, as practically any country with a sizable Russian minority (Latvia, Lithuania, etc.) now has a legitimate reason to fear a Russian intervention under the guise of "defending" the minority. Such a move would be unlikely, given that Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland are considerably more integrated into the European community than Ukraine, but it is still reasonable to worry about it.

Question Re: Ukraine

Putin has a case, even if it is only bolstered by the thousands of Russian soldiers lost in the offensives and counter-offensives that raqed in the Ukraine, and the Crimea (both of which were then, certainly, an integral part of the Soviet Union), during WW2. The U.N. was right in freeing countries like Poland; Hungary; Yugoslavia; etc from the Soviet yoke, at the end of the Cold War, dismantling the Mother country, itself, not so much
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    Putin has a case, even if it is only bolstered by the thousands of Russian soldiers lost in the offensives and counter-offensives that raqed in the Ukraine, and the Crimea (both of which were then, certainly, an integral part of the Soviet Union), during WW2. The U.N. was right in freeing countries like Poland; Hungary; Yugoslavia; etc from the Soviet yoke, at the end of the Cold War, dismantling the Mother country, itself, not so much
    The Soviet Union dismantled itself. Gorbachev resigned, and then within the next few months the republics that had made up the Soviet Union all voted for independence.

Ukraine Rebels shoot down a civilian airliner. I see things haven't improved since the last post.
    I am blessed, blessed blessed to live in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersam View Post
    Ukraine Rebels shoot down a civilian airliner. I see things haven't improved since the last post.
    I am blessed, blessed blessed to live in the USA.
    Spent my first night in Kiev and just got back from my first journey out into the city.

I feel more alive than I have in 2 years.
    Much as an infant must feel - today everything is new, exciting and unexpected.

Went to the Ukrainian Independence Memorial and shed a few tears as there are displays set up for the individuals killed in the current conflict.

Name:  DSC03670 Monument to Ukrainian Independence copy.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  652.5 KB

I've been there! This is a photo I took of the same location, with better lighting. Kiev is a beautiful city, and I'm glad to see that the Memorial has gone unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    So in other words they have no real interests. Gotcha.
    Remember how the US and Britain ignored Hitler at first when he began his march to invade other European countries? Remember how many people died because of that? But yeah, they weren't Americans so fck 'em.