Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daily Reminder That The World is Awesome

Daily Reminder That The World is Awesome

In contrast to the Depressing news item story, I'll post a semi-daily news item, event, advancement, or thing that is amazing, or great, or gives me some hope about humanity's worth, our chances of survival, and justification for our being the dominant species.

The first has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with one of the greatest insects: bee sting venom kills HIV

It might also help end hepatitis B and C, and other STDs.

A pic of TNP once he found out about this:

Name:  38072089937846817.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  43.9 KB

Re: Daily Reminder That The World is Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post
    In contrast to the Depressing news item story, I'll post a semi-daily news item, event, advancement, or thing that is amazing, or great, or gives me some hope about humanity's worth, our chances of survival, and justification for our being the dominant species.

The first has nothing to do with us, and everything to do with one of the greatest insects: bee sting venom kills HIV

It might also help end hepatitis B and C, and other STDs.

A pic of TNP once he found out about this:

Name:  38072089937846817.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  43.9 KB
    The world is awesome because we've found another way to exploit animals for our own gain?

:shrug:

I mean somewhere on the AIDS virus internet it was probably posted how awesome it was when the virus discovered that it could use humans as hosts as well as monkeys.

Curing a disease isn't a "gain"; it's just evening the score.

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Curing a disease isn't a "gain"; it's just evening the score.
    Of course it is a gain.

As human genes do their best to dominate the world, so too do other genes.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    The world is awesome because we've found another way to exploit animals for our own gain?

I mean somewhere on the AIDS virus internet it was probably posted how awesome it was when the virus discovered that it could use humans as hosts as well as monkeys.
    I think, given the content provided by AOW, that it should be rather clear that the "world" AOW is referring to is strictly that within which all human interaction is contained, as opposed to the actual, physical world. Of course, because this is not defined it is certainly possible to be nit-picky about it, but I don't really see that as being necessary.

As for the animal right's question, I am of course no fan of the one-sided exploitation of nature, but I feel there are obvious cases (such as this) in which it really can't be viewed in an entirely negative light (unless you are of the stance that humans should make no efforts to preserve themselves and should rather let nature take its course).

Yes. Bees are merely a resource. I openly do not place animals/insects as equals to the human race.

#meateaterandlovinit

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    #meateaterandlovinit
    Eat a lot of bees, do ya?

Or, perhaps, you spelled "#willfullyignorantandlovinit" incorrectly

Yes. Bees are merely a resource. I openly do not place animals/insects as equals to the human race.

#meateaterandlovinit
    You could have made a much stronger argument in defense of this, but in referring to bees as merely a resource and then concluding with a hashtag, your post simply comes off as highly disrespectful. Whether or not it is morally correct to exploit animals is one thing, but to openly do so and no acknowledge how grateful you are? Ugh. Might as well just say that slaves were a "resource" as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FloydtheBarber View Post
    You could have made a much stronger argument in defense of this, but in referring to bees as merely a resource and then concluding with a hashtag, your post simply comes off as highly disrespectful. Whether or not it is morally correct to exploit animals is one thing, but to openly do so and no acknowledge how grateful you are? Ugh. Might as well just say that slaves were a "resource" as well, right?
    no...slaves were humans. You failed to read:

I openly do not place animals/insects as equals to the human race.

BTW, no disrespect meant. One could say that you saying my honest opinion is disrespectful then you yourself are being disrespectful. I simply do not place animals/insects as the equal to humankind. I take no offense if you disagree. If it makes you feel better, i'm very grateful for the pig that provided me my bacon this am as well as the mealworm I hooked to catch the trout i'm eating for dinner tonight. Oh..i'm thankful for the trout as well.

Eat a lot of bees, do ya?

Or, perhaps, you spelled "#willfullyignorantandlovinit" incorrectly
    Another who failed to read and then ironically made a joke about ignorance lol.

Hint: I was referring to all animals/insects other than the "human race". I do not look at them as equals in anyway. I have had pets. I have loved them dearly yet they are not nor could they ever be an equal to humankind. I do not eat humans. I do however eat other animals. As for bees, I'm a fan of honey and moreso am very aware of the many other ways bees help then environment - hence help humans. If this comes to be yet another way...than great!

Yes, but those who were in favor of slavery often viewed slaves as subhuman (no, not all, but certainly some).

While few would argue that insect life is as valuable as human life,with 7 billion humans already here, and bees rapidly disappearing, bee colonies could be argued as more valuable than many human lives at this point...

Exploiting animals for our own amusement (such as in horse racing and dog fighting) is deplorable and should be outlawed.

Exploiting animals for the betterment of mankind (handicap assistance animals, using animals to find cures for disease) is regrettable, but the ends justify the means (as long as the animals are treated humanely).

Taking part in the natural cycle of life (kill, eat, be killed, be eaten) by consuming animals is... the very definition of nature.

#justmyopinion

Another who failed to read and then ironically made a joke about ignorance lol.

Hint: I was referring to all animals/insects other than the "human race". I do not look at them as equals in anyway. I have had pets. I have loved them dearly yet they are not nor could they ever be an equal to humankind. I do not eat humans. I do however eat other animals. As for bees, I'm a fan of honey and moreso am very aware of the many other ways bees help then environment - hence help humans. If this comes to be yet another way...than great!
    I fully read.
    Nothing in this thread has anything to do with eating meat.

#non sequitur

I fully read.
    Nothing in this thread has anything to do with eating meat.

#non sequitur
    Yawn

#yourintellectualdishonestyisboringmebro

Yawn

#yourintellectualdishonestyisboringmebro
    Perhaps you'd be less bored in this thread if you had the intellectual ability to see that bees have a lot more to do with plant life than carnivorism or that bees are much more valuable to the other life on this planet than humans are.

#BeesAren'tOurEqualsWeAreDependantOnThem

Also, some carnivorous animal species kill and eat each other. Take lions and hyenas as an example. Both lions and hyenas are meat eaters (and, presumably, enjoy, if not, love, it). Are lions or hyenas unequal to each other? In what way does the inequality of different species of animal have anything to do with what a species eats?

#IDon'tThinkYouKnowWhatThe****YouAreTalkingAbout
    Last edited by filihok; 11-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.