Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Depressing News Item of the Day

Re: Depressing News Item of the Day

Only the same amount as we're apparently already comfortable with on ssn.gov. Or with filing your taxes electronically.

Its weird, the banal stuff, people are fine with. Try to push for modern technology to assist us in ways we are failing a very basic democratic right, and they're all like OH NO MAI SANCTITY.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post
    Only the same amount as we're apparently already comfortable with on ssn.gov. Or with filing your taxes electronically.

Its weird, the banal stuff, people are fine with. Try to push for modern technology to assist us in ways we are failing a very basic democratic right, and they're all like OH NO MAI SANCTITY.
    Honestly, I want it to require a bit more effort to vote for political office and laws than to vote for American Idol. Voting is a right, but if people aren't willing to put forth some effort to exercise that right, they really don't care much about it to begin with. You want to organize public transportation to get to polling stations, I'd be all for that. If you want to provide free of charge a voter ID card required to vote, I'm okay with that, too. If people are too lazy or unwilling to utilize those services, then I'm perfectly fine with their voice not being heard.

Right, I agree with most of that. I just realize that we as a society have made a business of putting up roadblocks (gender, race, poll tax, intimidation, and now photo ID) over the past century or so, and to cap it off we just unlocked the floodgates of corporate money into politics more than every before to drown out the individual's voice.

So swinging it back in the other direction a little bit to make things more open and accessible seems acceptable to me. I would argue that some of it is not laziness, but apathy and remnants of what has been a disappointing system. Whether its the massive F-up of votes that gave Bush Florida in 2000, or the immense corruption unearthed in the Ohio Report from 2004, we don't exactly have a stellar reputation in terms of fair elections - we're not Russia, but jesus we could be better. I'm all for things that get us better, and help push us to 60 or 70 or 80% turnout instead of letting the tiniest factions swing elections. Hell I would push for a national holiday (instead of Columbus day, for instance) so that everyone has voting day off and can spend a few hours learning, making the right choice, and then getting to the polls. Making it compete with work (or school, or child care) is a disadvantage for those worse off, every single election - I can take a day off, a lot of people can't.

Speaking of American Idol, holy crap some of those votes make more sense than ours. With our system you get the one vote and that's it - plus primaries you vote in, if you want. Other countries' voting systems have runoffs, where you can vote for your first choice, and then go to a fallback, mainstream, "electable" candidate if you're guy isn't in the top 2 or 3 or 4. What if we could do that? What if everyone could vote for the far out person they really want, without fear of 'wasting their vote'? Jeez the big two parties would suffer pretty quickly.

Havent put anything up in a while, so let's talk about another pastor looking for handouts, for a private jet. Not his old crappy jet, but a new top of the line $65M jet.

The contributions, from those poor souls? Tax deductible! The ministry? Tax exempt, officially a 'non-profit'.

I feel like Genesis already lampooned this 20+ years ago...

Watched Cowspiracy.

I knew that animal gas/poo was a big contributor to greenhouse gases and climate change - but more than all worldwide transportation easily? Wow. Water use, land use, amazon deforestation, hunger - all of it can be traced to our agribusiness, or Big Meat. That's all kind of common knowledge I guess.

The tougher part is that the big environmental non-profits - from Greenpeace to Al Gore to the Sierra Club - wouldn't confront that issue on camera. They want everyone to worry about using less water and power and gas, when the biggest threat to our surviving on this planet is our intense meat-eating habit.

5 tons of animal waste is produced per American, annually.

I don't eat red meat at all, and beef is a rare thing for me (maybe a burger two/three times a month, that's it). I gave up shrimp two years ago. We went for meatless mondays, and now I'm adding thursdays as well…but it's not enough. I am thinking about removing beef entirely from the diet - per the documentary, a full Vegan diet is 1.8 tons in terms of savings, while just eliminated beef is 1.4 (vegetarian is 1.6). I can survive pretty easily without beef.

I also convinced the wife to do 2 weeks of vegetarian diet after Thanksgiving. Let's give it a try - i will keep dairy and eggs in the picture, and see if veggies, breads, and fruits will do it for us.

If the rest of the world ate like the US does - meat all the time - we'd need like 10+ earths to support all the livestock. We have to change our diet radically…I have a few friends that are vegetarian, and I really wish I could snap my fingers and do it. For the species and the earth, but also for my own gut.