Thread: 16.02 Fielding Stats buggy...

16.02 Fielding Stats buggy...

So after a couple of seasons, my players defensive ratings suddenly vanish, turning them into major liabilities and causing my WS championship team to drop to last place the following season despite no major injuries or personnel changes. One player (as an example) played one year at Third base with mediocre defense and tallied 13 errors in 752 innings. The next season he tallied 101 errors in 473 innings...destroying my team. His DEF rating dropped down to 25 and his ratings at each position fell to a point below 36. I never once changed his official position.

Re: 16.02 Fielding Stats buggy...

Yeah I've also encountered this. I was wondering why I was 1st in batting average and 1st in era, but in last place... turns out moving Maury Wills to 2B from SS yielded him 400+ errors with a whopping .172 fielding average. Also same with using Bobby Knoop at 3B, 400+ errors. I have pitchers with 400+ runs allowed and only 60 of them earned.

Something might be wrong here.

Clay posted a new Universe file a day or two ago that seems to have addressed this. I've only had time to try one team though. I started with Atlanta in 2000, but for some reason I can't get to the Free Agency period at the end of 2004...it freezes when it tries to compress pitching data. Back to your issue though, I checked defense ratings regularly after getting the new Universe file, and that hasn't happened yet. It did happen to me previously.

the universe file did not fix the defensive range rating issue...every players range is way too low

Same for me.
    Playing fictional league, started 1901. In the second season, somewhere in the middle of it (didn't notice exactly when) fielding rating for all my 1st basemen (only for them) suddenly dropped to value of 25, and ratings for positions dropped to 30-35, though fielding ratings (positioning, glovework and so on) remain on the same level. Screen for that issue is here. This is 1902 season, and this guy is 1901 GG Winner at 1st base. Though in second year his defensive stat didn't dropped, staying much the same... Worrying about next season Name:  Fielding bug.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  358.1 KB

Tarbot, that's the exact issue I had, except mine started with my catchers. It's a bug which makes the game completely broken for long-term simulation.

Agree, though, starting 1903, it doesn't affect defensive stats of my 1st basemen. Simulated first 2 months, mentioned player stays my starter, commit 1 error in 600+ chances, 400+ innings.
    Right now (at least for me) it seems like a "presentation" bug more than "simulation".

I just wanted to add to this thread that all of the catchers appear to have ratings in the 60's as far as handling goes. Years before 2013 don't appear to have the same problem in the little bit I have tested so far.

as I've gone through and edited players in Commissioner Mode it seems that part of the defensive rating problem is that its basing things off false numbers.

For example, a player's defensive numbers are thrown off by the fact that the game predicts he will play 450 games, have 1700 POs, etc. When I reset the values to realistic numbers, I get a more accurate defensive rating.

While you're fixing defense...how about this: http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthr...sition-Players

It's irritating that your average catcher can play RF as well or better than an elite CF. Note below: McManaman is an elite CFer (except for his arm, another bug unfixed). When moved to RF he's awful. Marc Ramming (A CATCHER!!!!) is at least approximately as good as Murray when he plays RF. This is absurd.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Still buggy in 16.03 with an entire fictional universe. I've seen catchers defensive stats fall to under 35 for all categories for no reason.

But the range stat is the biggest problem and another thread I believe alluded to this. It has to do with the predicted stats being completely out of whack.

Ive seen this for the AI and the human several seasons into the game. I started seeing really high scoring games that appeared strange. When I looked at the box score each team would have anywhere from 5 to 15 errors.

It looks like when the AI moves a IF to different positions even though they have high defensive ratings the low range is making them commit errors at positions they should be playing better or as good defensive as their primary position.

Pitchers commit many errors as well. But I don't always see their errors showing up in the box score. I only noticed because I play PbP games and notice the pitchers committing a handful of errors. Then when you look at the box score it will say 3 errors but doesn't list who committed them.

A little bit of numbers. Started new fictional league in 1901. Simulated it through 1907, now it's March, 1, 1908.
    37 - total number of batters.
    4 - total of players with position ratings of 40 and below for every position.
    4 - total of players with the best position rated 41 to 50.
    7 - total of players with the best position rated 51 to 60.
    11 - total of players with the best position rated 61 to 70.
    So, 26 of 37 players (70%) rated below average for any of position possible.

Of those 11 left:
    7 has two positions with at least 70+ rating in position.
    6 of those 7 are left fielders with identical position numbers (78 for LF, 70 - RF, 63 - 1B, 62 - CF, 46 - 3B, 44 - 2B,SS, 36 - C) and extremely close to identical fielding and throwing stats in "Skills" folder and overall Arm/Range/Fielding. That's what they call "innate", I believe.
    As well, 6 of those 7 played 2 or less seasons (with batting stats for Majors) in MLB.
    And 79 is the best position rating by any fielder. Only one player has it, and he's a RF, played 143 games in 5 seasons, 67 of them in right field (594 innings).

Conclusions:
    1. "Innate" fileding ratings doesn't work properly, since they looks like unaffectable by any thing and (with so many players involved) lead to big number of identical players in the field.
    2. Position ratings looks to go downward any single season a certain player played. So, the more he played, overally, the more he dropped in his defense. It looks even more disastrous for those who played not their main position.
    3. Initially, position ratings looked reliable, as I had good number of players with 85+ number. And only one, before the start of the first season was "bugged" with below 40 for every position. But it declined from year to year (as well as number of "bugged" players grew up), so, I still suspect that predicted stats (growing, I believe, from year to year) does affect position ratings in some way.

So, I guess, there's still a bug (a long-term bug) that isn't fixed despite declared to be fixed.

Desperately waiting for some patches that change this situation... because, with those kind of "gameplay" it's completely unplayable. It's not even my team.
    435 errors in 445 chances... whoa.Name:  How.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  443.1 KB