From the desk of Dan Conway in early April of 1974

A letter to Dieter Eisenreich, an automoblle dealer in West Berlin.

Dear Herr Eisenreich,

Congratulations on your new "Golf" Volkswagen. It looks like a fine machine, and I would like to sell some here, in North America. I have applied directly to the VW manufacturer in Wolfsburg but am informed that they have not the capacity to serve me, whilst the rest of Europe is demanding these automobiles.

As the biggest automobile dealer in West Germany, I presume that you have a number of these cars for sale. I know that you are bound to sell at a fixed price, both by your supplier, and the German government, but if you ship some of those "Golfs" to me I will pay you, personally, one hundred dollars per car, over that limit, besides paying for the shipping and other expenses, of course. in their transit.This means for every dozen cars you can send me, you make more than a thousand American dollars, for your own personal use, which, I understand, are worth far more than that enumeration in Western, and , especially, Eastern Germany.

I hope that you can co-operate with me in a deal, lucrative to both of us.

Yours truly,

Dan Conway.
******************************************************************************** ****************************
Memo to Albert Porter, Head of Conway Productions.

" I think that the time has come for us to focus less on movies for the theatre, and move onto lesser fare for the t.v. channel. Situation comedies. and mini-series seem to be the going thing on the television screen right now, and the commercial spots are numerous, and lucrative.

We ought to be in there.

Please attend to this."
******************************************************************************** *******************
Memo to John MacNamara, Coach of the San Diego Padres

" Whilst watching a game, recently, I saw a catcher apparently just miss tagging a runner sliding for home plate, but the umpire giving the runner out, anyway. As the television slo-mo replay later revealed, the ump had spotted that the catcher had just managed to make contact with a corner of a batting glove, stuffed into the runners left hip pocket.

Would you, therefor, impress upon our players that they should carry nothing that can protrude, from this pocket, which of course, is open to the field of play.

A trivial detail, to be sure, but it may save a run, which may save a game which will save a season, one never knows in baseball, right?"