Page 176 of 181 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2701

Thread: "SPIKES" ...on their combat boots...

Re: "SPIKES" ...on their combat boots...

The "San Diego Clarion"

February 14th 1970

Abandonment no biggie

by Dan Conway (Syndicated)

On this Valentine's Day if not writing about love, at least I could write about not making war - any more.

There has been much wringing of hands, and cries of "Shame", "Humiliation", "Dishonor", and " What will our allies and enemies think of our cowardice if we abandon the South Vietnamese to those horrible Communists ?", if we smarten up and get our men out of Viet Nam.

Those last six words in the last paragraph, in my opinion, outweigh all the arguments by the hawks - of which I used to be one - that we should carry on the good fight against the evil of Communism, in the rhetoric of Jack Kennedy "We will bear any burden", "Pay any price" in the course of that fight.

Has anyone else noticed that its a Democrat President that gets us into these scrapes ?- Roosevelt, Trueman, Kennedy, Johnson, and a Republican, Eisenhower, and, hopefully, soon, Nixon, to pull us out? That aside, the price was always too high, the burden never bearable in the case of Viet Nam. The Cold War is meant to be fought without loss of life. We've lost other humiliating battles without turning a hair, the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia last year, the occupation of Eastern Europe by the Reds without firing a shot, allowing North Korea to go unpunished for starting the Korean war, we should be used to losing.

As for "abandoning" the South Vietnamese to Communism, I've always had this notion that if somebody or some country really want something, they go, get it. For example, I really, really wanted a good baseball team - I got the fabled Phils; America wanted to be free of tyrants like George the Third, Adolf Hitler, and Karl Marx; we got that freedom, in the case of the last-named by getting ourselves labelled by bleeding hearts as "Red-baiters" and "hysterical" over the disease of Communism within our ranks....none of that matters, now that we have what we really wanted - freedom.

If the South Viet Namese, and any other oppressed or threatened country really want democracy they'll fight for it, and not bleat for Uncle Sam to, once more, shed blood and treasure for someone else's cause.

The British should be our role model. When we threw them out of this country back in 1776, they were a little punchy for a while, but recovered enough to pick later fights with the Boers, then Kaiser Wilhelm, then Adolf Hitler, who made them turn and run, ignominiously out of Dunkirk, leaving France in thrall, and their partners, French, in the lurch, and later cleverly turning the rout, by means of propaganda somehow into a saga of Dunkirk heroism and glory. If you're going to lose wars, that's the way to do it.

We're going to lose this war and no apologist is going to get his silver tongue around the fact, that it's our worst military defeat, ever. All we can do now, is to bring all our boys back, gird up our loins, vow never again to intervene in anybody else's war, except our own, because, assuredly, some madman or anti-American fanatic, somewhere, will think that we have lost our will to fight, because of all the noise which the liberal and Communist elements in our society have been making about this war.

It is then, against any threat to this, our homeland, that we must pick up Teddy Roosevelt's big stick, walk softly, yes, but bring it down hard on any who dare intrude.

But from now on, we stay out of other people's wars, okay?
    -30-
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

A letter from Elvira Vines English teacher of Valentine Mercier, to his mother, Lynn Carroll Mercier,

39 Rockwell Crescent
    Winnipeg 7
    Manitoba

2nd February 1970

Dear Mrs Mercier,

As is my custom I plan to invite one of my pupils, in this case, Valentine, to tea as a birthday treat on a date appropriately close to the boy's birthday (On the actual day, the 15th, of course, I am sure, will be spent with you and his family.

I issue this invitation to all the children of my class,on the occasion of individual birthdays. I find that it helps with, collectively, their relationship with me as teacher, their desire to learn more from my teaching, and classroom discipline, generally. A child who has been a guest of the teacher, is less likely to disrupt the class with misbehaviour, thereafter.

Not that I have any of these problems with Valentine, of course. You don't need me, Mrs Mercier, to tell you how gifted and motivated is your son

The tea menu will be based on the nutrition's guide of five fruits or vegetables and will consist of either a fruit, vegetable, or seafood salad, prepared and served by myself and my doting mother, who happens to be a retired nutritionist, herself. If there is any food that you feel should not be offered to Valentine, please inform me in good time - the actual date of my invitation will be at the convenience of you and your son, himself.

My mother and I during these treats usually engage the child in a game of their choice, "Snakes and ladders", "Monopoly" or "Ludo" (Known to Canadians, I believe, as "Parcheesie"), perhaps not all that educational, but good fun for the child, which is the object of the exercise.

As a special treat for a special student, I plan to introduce Valentine to the wonders of word-processing. As a working journalist, you are probably aware of this phenomenal writing machine, I am a fervent disciple of it, and I won't bore you in this note by describing an innovation with which you are already familiar. I am sure that it will delight compulsive writer Valentine who I know has a typewriter of his own on which he bangs out those whimsical examinatation papers, which have me laughing as I mark them, but, sadly, have to award a low rating, as they are too unconventional for what I, personally consider, are hidebound rules by the education authorities

And by the way, if you and your husband care to accompany your child on his trip to my house, you would be made most welcome, we'd be delighted to have you along, the more the merrier.

I enclose my telephone number to facilitate your reply to this invitation.

Best wishes.

Elvira Vines.
    ******************************************************************************** *********
    A letter from Valentine Mercier from the house of his English teacher, Elvira Vines to Lynn Carroll Mercier, his mother
    Augustus Conway, his step-brother
    Augusta Conway, his step-sister
    Dan Conway, a close friend of the family
    "39 Rockwell Crescent
    Winnipeg 7
    Manitoba

7th February 1970

Dear Everybody,
    I am writing this simultaneous letter on the IBM MT/ST which is a sort of glorified typewriter called a word processor; not only do I need but write the one letter, of which you will each receive a copy but I will not experience the usual difficulties of a typist, the application of white lead, the crossings out, the rippings -up of sheets of paper, because this machine corrects or erases any typos, or makes revisions of a word, a line a paragraph, or an entire essay,play or novel, without leaving the machine or a trace.It's a machine made for meticulous editing.

Besides that, using it one can change a font, embolden or italicise words, change cases, anything a normal typewriter can do, but with a single keystroke, and without it leaving the machine.

Furthermore once you're satisfied with what you've written and consider it ready for publishing, or in this case, sending off as a letter, you can record it, within the machine to magnetic tape, thence to paper.

As a 'compulsive writer' which my teacher, Miss Vines calls me, I find that this machine totally suits my tearaway style. As you all know I like to sit down, pound out all sorts of nonsense, then pick the bones out of the piece, later. Thanks for accepting Miss Vines' invitation, Mum(I've had a smashing tea!) for this birthday treat, and you can reward yourself by buying or leasing one of these machines, yourself; that goes for you too, Augie, as well as Uncle Dan, your production will skyrocket, your stress be nullified, it's a dream machine for typists, and I don't know how we got on without it, all these years

I know that Gussie leaves all of her writing to Mrs Laws, but with all that money she's sitting on, she could afford to buy it for Uncle D's faithful secretary, all those years. That's the only snags with this machine, it's expensive (about $10,000 ) and is as big and heavy as a safe, about 14 stones (roughly 200 North American lbs), but for someone who has to do scads of writing like my wealthy nearest and dearest, it will be worth while.

Your loving son/step-brother/ sort of relative.
    Val.

P.S. My hostess and teacher Miss Vines is waiting to make any corrections to this with a keystroke or (more likely) two hundred or so!

P.P.S. Hallo, everyone, this is Elvira Vines, Valentine is vey disciplined, he didn't leave me much to correct, besides I am loath to dampen his vivacious style with pedantic corrections to a spontaneous letter -it's so nice not to have to follow the rigid rules of grammar that education authorities. I can attest to all the good things that this IBM can do.

True, it is heavy, and expensive to even lease as I do, but fortunately my teacher's salary is supplemented by my late father's prosperous plumbing business, and of course, I am aware that it would be totally affordable to all the people to whom this missive of Valentine's is addressed to.

Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of your son's company, Lynn (even though he quickly bankrupted me and Mother at "Monopoly" - he has your family's genes !), and my mother and I will be delighted to accept your own kind invitation to dinner, next week.
    Kindest regards to all addressees,
    Elvira Vines.

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

The London "Daily Mirror"

January 31st 1970

Milestones of the month

by Chatty Cathy

We may moan in this country about living in a corner of the world where our winters seem Arctic, and our summers, merely wintry conditions, but we are blessed with living in a comparatively free earthquake zone (Although I'm forever apprehensive that some scary seismic scientist is going to discover that we're living over the dreaded Old Nick's Fault, and, any day now, our Ming vases, and much else besides are going for a Burton)
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22Ol...-eFs2qjwPK_Jto
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=going...J8qajwP1wJH4DQ
    In China, a highly disaster prone zone - apart from the Communism - they've just experienced a 7.1 Mw earthquake in Tonghai County, part of the Yunnan province, with an extreme maximum Mercalli intensity of X. Something like 10,000 to 14,000 Chinese were killed and 27,000 more were injured.

The seas that surround this tight littl Island cause many of our natural disasters, as witness the loss of another five outstanding men when a lifeboat crew was killed by the capsizing of a Fraserburgh, Scotland vessel, the "Duchess of Kent".
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+%...MpqWjQP94Kz4CQ
    Politics caused the tragedy in Nigeria where a 32-month war for independence from that country, ended when Biafran forces formally surrendered to the Nigerian general, Yakubu

And a personal tragedy occurred when Mick Jagger, the Rock star is fined £200 for possession of cannabis. Why in the world when, as any copper will tell you, booze causes far more havoc than do drugs, is the former tolerated in our society, and the latter penalized?

You'll be glad to know, People, that Pan American Airways is offering the first commercially scheduled Boeing 747 service from Over There to London Heathrow Airport, and back, so if 191 0f you want to visit the land of present chaos with its war and riots and Nixon as President, now's your chance - if you sell your firstborn for a ticket.

If that firstbprn happens to be 18, now, he is legally able to go out and get sozzled, and maybe kill or injure somebody - as long as he don't do drugs, mind! - now that the age of majority, for legal purposes has been reduced from 21 to 18 under the Family Law Reform Act; nor must there be a halfpenny or half-crown in the fare which you tender for a trip in the Boeing Jumbo 747 - they're no longer legal tender,as of this month.

And the Greater London Council has just announced its plans for the Thames Barrier at Woolwich to prevent flooding, which is happening all too frequently, in Britain these days...did I say that we were blessed to be living in this so-called temperate" zone?
    -30-

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

Atlanta Braves at Montreal Expos
    April 25, 1970

TOP OF THE FIRST
    Gene Brabender takes the mound for the Expos.
    Ralph Garr lined out to right. <--->
    Felix Millan walked. <--1>
    The Braves put on the hit and run.
    Orlando Cepeda singled to center, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Hank Aaron flied out to right. <3-1>
    Felix Millan tagged up and scored. <--1>
    Orlando Cepeda stole second. <-2->
    Darrell Evans struck out. <-2->
    1 run, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the first, Atlanta leads 1 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE FIRST
    Pat Jarvis takes the mound for the Braves.
    Larry Lintz walked. <--1>
    The Expos put on the hit and run.
    Larry Lintz was caught stealing second. <--->
    Ron Allen singled to right. <--1>
    The Expos put on the hit and run.
    Brooks Robinson popped up to short. <--1>
    Bob Allison struck out. <--1>
    0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    At the end of the first, Montreal trails 1 to 0.

TOP OF THE SECOND
    Felipe Alou grounded back to the pitcher. <--->
    Hal King struck out. <--->
    Gil Garrido singled through the left side. <--1>
    Pat Jarvis singled to center, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Ralph Garr reached first on a fielding error by the first baseman - a run scored. <-21>
    Felix Millan popped up to the shortstop. <-21>
    1 run, 2 hits, 1 error, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the second, Atlanta leads 2 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE SECOND
    Mack Jones doubled down the first base line. <-2->
    Ed Kirkpatrick singled through the left side. <3-1>
    Larry Howard grounded to short. <32->
    Eddie Leon struck out. <32->
    Gene Brabender struck out. <32->
    0 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the second, Montreal trails 2 to 0.

TOP OF THE THIRD
    Orlando Cepeda doubled down the third base line. <-2->
    Hank Aaron singled to left, scoring a run. <--1>
    Darrell Evans flied out to right. <--1>
    Felipe Alou struck out. <--1>
    Hal King flied out to center. <--1>
    1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the third, Atlanta leads 3 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE THIRD
    Larry Lintz grounded to the shortstop. <--->
    Ron Allen struck out. <--->
    Brooks Robinson singled to center. <--1>
    Bob Allison singled to center, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Mack Jones grounded to short. <3-1>
    At the end of the third, Montreal trails 3 to 0.

TOP OF THE FOURTH
    Gil Garrido grounded to short. <--->
    Pat Jarvis popped up to second. <--->
    Ralph Garr singled to center. <--1>
    Ralph Garr went for an extra base and reached second. <-2->
    Felix Millan singled through the hole. <3-1>
    Ralph Garr advanced on the error by Bob Allison, scoring a run. <--1>
    Orlando Cepeda grounded to second. <--1>
    1 run, 2 hits, 1 error, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the fourth, Atlanta leads 4 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE FOURTH
    Ed Kirkpatrick struck out. <--->
    Larry Howard struck out. <--->
    Eddie Leon struck out. <--->
    0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 0 left on base.
    At the end of the fourth, Montreal trails 4 to 0.

TOP OF THE FIFTH
    Hank Aaron flied out to center. <--->
    Darrell Evans grounded to third. <--->
    Felipe Alou singled to short left-center. <--1>
    Hal King grounded to second. <--1>
    In the middle of the fifth, Atlanta leads 4 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE FIFTH
    Gene Brabender singled through the right side. <--1>
    Larry Lintz walked. <-21>
    Ron Allen walked. <321>
    Brooks Robinson popped up foul down the first base line. <321>
    Bob Allison flied out to left. <321>
    Gene Brabender tagged up and scored. <-21>
    Mack Jones singled through the right side. <321>
    Ed Kirkpatrick singled to short right-center for two RBIs. <3-1>
    Jimmie Hall pinch hit for Larry Howard. <3-1>
    Jimmie Hall grounded to second. <3-1>
    3 runs, 3 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the fifth, Montreal trails 4 to 3.

TOP OF THE SIXTH
    John Stearns came in to play Catcher. <--->
    Gil Garrido popped up to second. <--->
    Pat Jarvis singled to center. <--1>
    Ralph Garr popped up to short. <--1>
    Felix Millan doubled to left-center, scoring a run. <-2->
    Dale Murray now pitching for the Expos. <-2->
    Orlando Cepeda singled to short left-center, scoring a run. <--1>
    Hank Aaron homered to right-center for two RBIs. <--->
    Darrell Evans walked. <--1>
    Felipe Alou grounded to third. <--->
    4 runs, 4 hits, 0 errors, and 0 left on base.
    In the middle of the sixth, Atlanta leads 8 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE SIXTH
    Eddie Leon struck out. <--->
    Dale Murray singled to left. <--1>
    Pat Jarvis threw a wild pitch. <-2->
    Larry Lintz grounded to the pitcher. <-2->
    Ron Allen reached first on a throwing error by the third baseman. <3-1>
    Brooks Robinson grounded to third. <3-1>
    0 runs, 1 hit, 1 error, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the sixth, Montreal trails 8 to 3.

TOP OF THE SEVENTH
    Hal King grounded to third. <--->
    Gil Garrido flied out to right field. <--->
    Tim McCarver pinch hit for Pat Jarvis. <--->
    Tim McCarver flied out to left. <--->
    In the middle of the seventh, Atlanta leads 8 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE SEVENTH
    Rick Kester now pitching for the Braves. <--->
    Bob Allison singled down the left field line. <--1>
    Mack Jones hit an infield single to the third baseman. <-21>
    Ed Kirkpatrick singled to center, scoring a run. <3-1>
    John Stearns doubled down the third base line, scoring a run. <32->
    Eddie Leon doubled down the left field line for two RBIs. <-2->
    Ernie Banks pinch hit for Dale Murray. <-2->
    Ernie Banks grounded to second. <3-->
    The Braves brought the infield in.
    Larry Bradford now pitching for the Braves. <3-->
    The Braves brought the infield in.
    Larry Lintz grounded to short, scoring a run. <--->
    Ron Allen grounded to second. <--->
    5 runs, 5 hits, 0 errors, and 0 left on base.
    At the end of the seventh, the game is tied at 8.

TOP OF THE EIGHTH
    Joe Hoerner now pitching for the Expos. <--->
    Ralph Garr hit an infield single to third. <--1>
    The Braves put on the hit and run.
    Ralph Garr was caught stealing second. <--->
    Felix Millan grounded to second. <--->
    Orlando Cepeda popped up to second. <--->
    0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 0 left on base.
    In the middle of the eighth, the game is tied at 8.

BOTTOM OF THE EIGHTH
    Brooks Robinson doubled down the left field line. <-2->
    Bob Allison struck out. <-2->
    Mack Jones popped up to short. <-2->
    Ed Kirkpatrick reached second on a throwing error by the shortstop - a run scored. <-2->
    John Stearns grounded to second. <-2->
    1 run, 1 hit, 1 error, and 1 left on base.
    At the end of the eighth, Montreal leads 9 to 8.

TOP OF THE NINTH
    Hank Aaron singled to center. <--1>
    Darrell Evans grounded to the pitcher, forcing the runner at second. <--1>
    Felipe Alou singled down the right field line, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Hal King struck out. <3-1>
    Cito Gaston pinch hit for Gil Garrido. <3-1>
    Cito Gaston grounded to the shortstop. <3-1>

EXPOS WIN: 9-8

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

Code:
    Expos best regular -season game in April

Atlanta Braves at Montreal Expos
    April 25, 1970

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 +  R  H  E
            Braves (ATL) 1 1 1 1 0 4 0 0 0    8 15  2
             Expos (MON) 0 0 0 0 3 0 5 1 x    9 15  2

ATLANTA                      ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    Ralph Garr (LF)               5  2  0  1  0  0  0  0    .263
    Felix Millan (2B)             4  2  1  2  0  1  0  0    .384
    Orlando Cepeda (1B)           5  3  0  2  0  1  0  1    .322
    Hank Aaron (RF)               4  3  0  1  1  4  0  0    .407
    Darrell Evans (3B)            4  0  1  0  0  0  1  0    .273
    Felipe Alou (CF)              5  2  0  0  0  0  1  0    .297
    Hal King (C)                  5  0  0  0  0  0  2  0    .182
    Gil Garrido (SS)              4  1  0  1  0  0  0  0    .181
     Cito Gaston (P)              1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .250
    Pat Jarvis (P)                3  2  0  1  0  0  0  0    .154
     Tim McCarver (C)             1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .228
     Rick Kester (P)              0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Larry Bradford (P)           0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    TOTALS                       41 15  2  8  1  6  4  1

2B:  Orlando Cepeda (3), Felix Millan (8), Ralph Garr (5)
       HR:  Hank Aaron (5)
       CS:  Ralph Garr
       E:  Gil Garrido, Darrell Evans

ATLANTA   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
                  Pat Jarvis  6.0  9  3  0  3  3  8 105   2.75
                 Rick Kester  0.1  5  0  0  5  5  0  17  16.88
              Larry Bradford  1.2  1  0  0  1  0  1  17   3.38
                      TOTALS  8.0 15  3  0  9  8  9 139

MONTREAL                     ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    Larry Lintz (2B)              3  0  2  1  0  1  0  0    .071
    Ron Allen (1B)                4  1  1  1  0  0  1  0    .176
    Brooks Robinson (3B)          5  2  0  1  0  0  0  0    .244
    Bob Allison (LF)              4  2  0  1  0  1  2  0    .247
    Mack Jones (CF)               5  3  0  1  0  0  0  0    .286
    Ed Kirkpatrick (RF)           5  3  0  1  0  3  1  0    .293
    Larry Howard (C)              2  0  0  0  0  0  1  0    .157
     Jimmie Hall (P)              1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .167
     John Stearns (P)             2  1  0  1  0  1  0  0    .111
    Eddie Leon (SS)               4  1  0  1  0  2  3  0    .217
    Gene Brabender (P)            2  1  0  1  0  0  1  0    .500
     Dale Murray (P)              1  1  0  0  0  0  0  0    .250
     Ernie Banks (1B)             1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .267
     Joe Hoerner (P)              0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    TOTALS                       39 15  3  9  0  8  9  0

2B:  Brooks Robinson (3), Mack Jones (4), Eddie Leon (7), John Stearns (1)
       CS:  Larry Lintz
       E:  Bob Allison, Ron Allen

MONTREAL   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
              Gene Brabender  5.2 10  1  0  6  4  3 102   5.71
                 Dale Murray  1.1  2  1  1  2  2  0  25   5.57
                 Joe Hoerner  2.0  3  0  0  0  0  1  22   3.44
                      TOTALS  9.0 15  2  1  8  6  4 149

WP: Joe Hoerner (3-1)
         LP: Larry Bradford (0-1)

Temperature: 75F
         Wind: Calm
         Attendance: 28,994
         Time: 3:02

Expos (12-16) are 6th (Last)in the N.L. East 6 GB of the Mets (18-10)

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

San Francisco Giants at San Diego Padres
    April 28, 1970

TOP OF THE FIRST
    Clay Kirby takes the mound for the Padres.
    Ron Hunt flied out to left field. <--->
    Gates Brown flied out to center. <--->
    Willie Mays grounded to second. <--->
    In the middle of the first, the game is tied at 0.

BOTTOM OF THE FIRST
    Juan Marichal takes the mound for the Giants.
    John Donaldson singled to left. <--1>
    The Padres put on the hit and run.
    John Donaldson was caught stealing second. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane doubled to deep left field. <-2->
    Willie Crawford walked. <-21>
    Ken Harrelson struck out. <-21>
    Mike Lum struck out. <-21>
    At the end of the first, the game is tied at 0.

TOP OF THE SECOND
    Willie McCovey walked. <--1>
    Jim Northrup struck out. <--1>
    Dick Dietz walked. <-21>
    Joe Azcue allowed a passed ball. <32->
    The Padres brought the infield in.
    Chris Speier was intentionally walked. <321>
    Paul Schaal flied out to right. <321>
    Willie McCovey tagged up and scored. <-21>
    Juan Marichal popped up to second. <-21>
    1 run, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the second, San Francisco leads 1 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE SECOND
    Jesus Alou struck out. <--->
    Joe Azcue lined out to the second baseman. <--->
    Dick Schofield grounded to the third baseman. <--->
    At the end of the second, San Diego trails 1 to 0.

TOP OF THE THIRD
    Ron Hunt lined out to center field. <--->
    Gates Brown grounded to short. <--->
    Willie Mays doubled in the left field gap. <-2->
    Willie McCovey was intentionally walked. <-21>
    Jim Northrup flied out to right. <-21>
    0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the third, San Francisco leads 1 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE THIRD
    Clay Kirby singled down the third base line. <--1>
    John Donaldson singled to short left-center, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Cristofer Ezane grounded to third. The lead runner was tagged out at home. <-21>
    Willie Crawford reached second on a throwing error by the catcher - a run scored. <32->
    Ken Harrelson walked. <321>
    Mike Lum singled to right for two RBIs. <3-1>
    Jesus Alou singled to short left-center, scoring a run. <3-1>
    Jim Johnson now pitching for the Giants. <3-1>
    Joe Azcue struck out. <3-1>
    Dick Schofield struck out. <3-1>
    4 runs, 4 hits, 1 error, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the third, San Diego leads 4 to 1.

TOP OF THE FOURTH
    Dick Dietz lined out to right. <--->
    Chris Speier walked. <--1>
    Paul Schaal walked. <-21>
    Clay Kirby threw a wild pitch. <32->
    Jim Johnson walked. <321>
    Ron Hunt singled to center field for two RBIs. <-21>
    Gates Brown grounded to third. <32->
    Willie Mays grounded to short. <32->
    2 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the fourth, San Francisco trails 4 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE FOURTH
    Clay Kirby flied out to center. <--->
    John Donaldson grounded to third. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane singled to right. <--1>
    Cristofer Ezane stole second. <-2->
    Willie Crawford flied out to right. <-2->
    At the end of the fourth, San Diego leads 4 to 3.

TOP OF THE FIFTH
    Willie McCovey singled to left. <--1>
    Jim Northrup flied out to left field. <--1>
    Dick Dietz struck out. <--1>
    Chris Speier struck out. <--1>
    In the middle of the fifth, San Francisco trails 4 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE FIFTH
    Ken Harrelson popped up to second. <--->
    Mike Lum walked. <--1>
    Jesus Alou grounded to the shortstop. <-2->
    Joe Azcue singled to short right-center, scoring a run. <--1>
    Dick Schofield singled to center, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Elias Sosa now pitching for the Giants. <3-1>
    Ed Charles pinch hit for Clay Kirby. <3-1>
    Ed Charles walked. <321>
    John Donaldson grounded back to the pitcher. <321>
    1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, and 3 left on base.
    At the end of the fifth, San Diego leads 5 to 3.

TOP OF THE SIXTH
    Leon Everitt now pitching for the Padres. <--->
    Paul Schaal grounded to third. <--->
    Elias Sosa reached first on a throwing error by the second baseman. <--1>
    Ron Hunt grounded to second, forcing the runner at second. <--1>
    Gates Brown struck out. <--1>
    0 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the sixth, San Francisco trails 5 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE SIXTH
    Cristofer Ezane doubled in the right field gap. <-2->
    Willie Crawford singled down the third base line, scoring a run. <--1>
    Ken Harrelson grounded to third for a double play (5-4-3). <--->
    Mike Lum hit an infield single to short. <--1>
    Jesus Alou singled up the middle. <-21>
    Randy Moffitt now pitching for the Giants. <-21>
    Dick Dietz allowed a passed ball. <32->
    Joe Azcue grounded to the second baseman. <32->
    1 run, 4 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the sixth, San Diego leads 6 to 3.

TOP OF THE SEVENTH
    Willie Mays lined out to second. <--->
    Willie McCovey struck out. <--->
    Jim Northrup doubled to the wall in right. <-2->
    Dick Dietz was intentionally walked. <-21>
    Chris Speier reached first on a fielding error by the second baseman. <321>
    Paul Schaal flied out to left. <321>
    0 runs, 1 hit, 1 error, and 3 left on base.
    In the middle of the seventh, San Francisco trails 6 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE SEVENTH
    Dick Schofield grounded to first. <--->
    Fred Rico pinch hit for Leon Everitt. <--->
    Fred Rico grounded to the pitcher. <--->
    John Donaldson popped up to short. <--->
    At the end of the seventh, San Diego leads 6 to 3.

TOP OF THE EIGHTH
    Steve Simpson now pitching for the Padres. <--->
    Tito Fuentes pinch hit for Randy Moffitt. <--->
    Tito Fuentes popped up to second. <--->
    Ron Hunt struck out. <--->
    Gates Brown walked. <--1>
    Willie Mays grounded to the pitcher. <--1>
    0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the eighth, San Francisco trails 6 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE EIGHTH
    Gary Lavelle now pitching for the Giants. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane flied out to center. <--->
    Willie Crawford reached first on a throwing error by the third baseman. <--1>
    Ken Harrelson hit an infield single to third. <-21>
    Mike Lum struck out. <-21>
    Jesus Alou grounded to the second baseman. <-21>
    0 runs, 1 hit, 1 error, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the eighth, San Diego leads 6 to 3.

TOP OF THE NINTH
    Willie McCovey grounded to short. <--->
    Jim Northrup grounded to second. <--->
    Dick Dietz popped up foul down the third base line. <--->

PADRES WIN: 6-3

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

Code:
    Padres best regular-season game in April

San Francisco Giants at San Diego Padres
    April 28, 1970

Giants (SFG) 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 0    3  4  2
            Padres (SDP) 0 0 4 0 1 1 0 0 x    6 14  2

SAN FRANCISCO                ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    Ron Hunt (2B)                 5  1  0  0  0  2  1  0    .327
    Gates Brown (LF)              4  0  1  0  0  0  1  0    .275
    Willie Mays (CF)              5  1  0  0  0  0  0  0    .290
    Willie McCovey (1B)           3  1  2  1  0  0  1  0    .319
    Jim Northrup (RF)             5  1  0  0  0  0  1  0    .247
    Dick Dietz (C)                3  0  2  0  0  0  1  0    .221
    Chris Speier (SS)             2  0  2  1  0  0  1  0    .247
    Paul Schaal (3B)              2  0  1  1  0  1  0  0    .221
    Juan Marichal (P)             1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .286
     Jim Johnson (P)              0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Elias Sosa (P)               1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Randy Moffitt (P)            0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Tito Fuentes (P)             1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Gary Lavelle (P)             0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    TOTALS                       32  4  9  3  0  3  6  0

2B:  Willie Mays (10), Jim Northrup (7)

DP:  Willie McCovey, Ron Hunt, Paul Schaal
       E:  Dick Dietz, Paul Schaal

SAN FRANCISCO   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
               Juan Marichal  2.1  6  2  0  4  2  3  58   2.58
                 Jim Johnson  2.1  3  1  0  1  1  2  45   2.70
                  Elias Sosa  1.0  4  1  0  1  1  0  23   4.76
               Randy Moffitt  1.1  0  0  0  0  0  0  15   6.75
                Gary Lavelle  1.0  1  0  0  0  0  1  17   2.38
                      TOTALS  8.0 14  4  0  6  4  6 158

SAN DIEGO                    ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    John Donaldson (2B)           5  2  0  1  0  0  0  0    .202
    Cristofer Ezane (3B)          5  3  0  2  0  0  0  1    .295
    Willie Crawford (LF)          4  1  1  1  0  1  0  0    .322
    Ken Harrelson (CF)            4  1  1  1  0  0  1  0    .255
    Mike Lum (1B)                 4  2  1  1  0  2  2  0    .363
    Jesus Alou (RF)               5  2  0  0  0  1  1  0    .255
    Joe Azcue (C)                 4  1  0  0  0  1  1  0    .259
    Dick Schofield (SS)           4  1  0  0  0  0  1  0    .247
    Clay Kirby (P)                2  1  0  0  0  0  0  0    .250
     Ed Charles (P)               0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Leon Everitt (P)             0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Fred Rico (P)                1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Steve Simpson (P)            0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    TOTALS                       38 14  4  6  0  5  6  1

2B:  Cristofer Ezane 2 (9)
       GDP:  Ken Harrelson
       CS:  John Donaldson
       E:  John Donaldson 2

SAN DIEGO   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
                  Clay Kirby  5.0  3  7  0  3  3  3 108  10.96
                Leon Everitt  2.0  1  1  0  0  0  2  36   1.32
               Steve Simpson  2.0  0  1  0  0  0  1  34   2.65
                      TOTALS  9.0  4  9  0  3  3  6 178

WP: Clay Kirby (1-3)
         LP: Juan Marichal (3-3)
         SV: Steve Simpson (2)

Temperature: 90F
         Wind: 9 MPH (out to center)
         Attendance: 33,889
         Time: 3:35

Padres (11-15) are 6th in the NL West, 6 GB of the SF Giants (17-10)

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

The “San Diego Clarion”

31st March 1970

New teams' prospects gloomy

by Al Terego

On the eve of a brand new regular season, we scribes who follow the fortunes of the four expansion teams, can find little positive to say about any of them, save that Kansas City (11-14) is the only one of the quartet which is not at the bottom of their particular division.

The only team doing worse than our own San Diego Padres (11-15) in the Spring Training just ended, was the hapless Milwaukee Brewers who started their miserable existence - so far - as the Seattle Pilots (for one year); they could only come up with an unbelievably poor pre-season record of 3 wins against 26 losses (Although such is the irony of Grapefruit baseball one of those scant wins was a 13-6 thrashing of the ultimate American League leaders of the pre-season, the Detroit Tigers (21-7)

The Padres’ expansion rivals, the Montreal Expos, could crow a little louder than our West Coast team, they gaining one more win, although sustaining one more loss than San Diego, despite their team hitting (.235) being even more execrable than that of the lowly Brewers, a mystery in view of the prodigious sluggers like Allison, Banks,Brooks Robinson and Mack Jones on their roster.

Their team ERA average (4.66) was also inferior to the National League average of 4.02, Luis Tiant (3-4 with an ERA of 4.47) being their only starter of note, and the reliever Joe Hoerner being the outstanding guy in the 'Spoes bullpen with his four wins and three saves against two losses with a creditable ERA of 3.48.

As for the Padres, of the hitters, only Mike Lum(BA.351). Willie Crawford (BA.319) and Cristofer Ezane (BA.312) could look back upon their Spring Training batting with any satisfaction, and Ezane’s fielding at third base was terrible, he booting five times for an FA of 961 , and ultimately being dropped in favour of Grabarkewitz for the regular season beginning tomorrow.

As for the Padres’ awful pre-season pitching, only starter Jim McAndrew (2-2 ERA 4.05), and brilliant fireman Stevie Simpson (3-0 ERA 3.21) are worth mentioning.

In fact the only redeeming feature of the Padres’ Grapefruit season was their fielding.The Padres' team FA was .981. a point better than the NL average, and the best of all four expansion teams. Fans and players must take what comfort they can from that as they wait for the opening of the regular season tomorrow.
    -30-

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

The London "Daily Mirror"

February 28th 1970

Milestones of the month

b
    y Chatty Cathy

The eight people charged with causing the rioting at the 1968 Democratic National Convention seem to have gotten away with it. They were found not guilty of conspiring to incite a riot, although five of the defendants are found guilty on the lesser charge of crossing State lines to incite a riot.

The verdict is viewed, Over There, as a travesty of justice, caused by the antics of the defendants and their lawyers who should all been gaoled for contempt of court, at least, for they hooted and jeered at hostile witnesses, and generally made a farce of the proceedings.

Similarly.in this country, eight students subsequently received a tap on the wrist in the form of "Custodial sentences" for their part in a demonstration at the Garden House Hotel by Cambridge University students against the visiting Greek military junta, the subsequent rioting leading to police intervention, and arrest of the students;

Another court ordered David Irving to pay £40,000 libel damages to Capt. John Broome over his book The Destruction of Convoy PQ17 In the book, Irving alleged ???

Much of the rest of the month's news involved the world's auto industries. The American Chrysler car manufacturers in Coventry launched its new Hillman Avenger small family car, which would compete with the Ford Escort and Vauxhall Viva. Don't like the sound of that...do the Yanks allow us to build cars in their country?

And Rolls Royce had its hand out begging the taxpayers for 50 million smackers towards the development of their RB 211-50 Airbus jet engine.
    Whatever happened to the billion or so, that the company has made out of their fabled "Silver Ghost" over the decades? And how much money that the fat cats at the top of the R-R Corporation hope to make out of us taxpayers with this Airbus thingy?
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=How+m...DcGo0gLlw5q4BA

Certainly, the rock group Black Sabbath hope to make a mint out of their first album regarded as the first true heavy metal album. Another rock group The Who got into the act by recording "Live at Leeds".

Other folks hoping to make some easy money must have come a right cropper when the shares in an Australian mining company Poseidon NL, which zoomed to about $280 per share before the speculative bubble burst, and now is worth about $0.80 per share.

Gains and losses: Guyana, the former British Guinea colony won its independence as a republic within the Commonwealth and Bertrand Russell, regarded in some academic circles by some as the 20th century's greatest philosopher, and others as one of the Commies' "Useful idiots" died at the age of 97.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=usefu...C-HZ0gLgg6nQBA

Hey, guess what? His Highness, Charles the Prince of Wales has joined the Royal Navy as a Fleet Air Arm pilot. Who said our Royals were a useless bunch? Anyone who has ever served in Blighty's armed services has my admiration. Charles is following a grand Royal tradition. his dad, Philip, his Grandad George the Sixth, were all naval types, God bless 'em.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=Charl...DOrf0gKyvaPgBA
    Hurrah for our Royal Navy!
    -30-

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

February 4th 1970 Lynn Carroll Mercier phones her ex-husband Dan Conway down in Culver City, California

Lynn: Hi Dan, guess what our Val wants for a birthday gift?...to go to Florida for a month.

Dan Bit young for a snowbird, don't you think?

Lynn: It's for to watch the Spring Training...he wants to be a baseball scout when he's older.

Dan: Bully for him, Hon...I can dig that...get paid to watch baseball games...but what about school?

Lynn:He says he's dropping out

Dan: Groans) Oh, no!...with all that he's got goin' for him?...you're not gonna allow it?

Lynn: I'm the one who should be groaning ...I'm his Mom...one word from me, and he does as he likes. It won't be so bad though...he's years ahead in his schooling, anyway...and he soaks up stuff like a sponge...I think he already knows more about Sabremetrics than Bill James, himself.

Dan: Chuckles) So what you want me to do, Hon?...watch over him at Dunedin? Both our teams will be there, of course.

Lynn: That's the idea if it won't inconvenience you, Dan?

Dan; It'll be a pleasure, Hon...the kid's darn good company...got an interesting take on things.

Lynn: Valentine's sure got our over-achieving genes, Dan...he's spreading out in all directions...you should hear us go hammer-and -tongs over Canadian politics...he's not seventeen, yet, and he's also writing for "Le Chanticleer".

Dan: That French-Canadian paper, big on separatism? A journalist ,yet!...you're right, Hon, he is a chip off our old blocks...

Lynn: He's even discovered girls, I think, keeps on about a brainy knockout at school called Eve something.

Dan: Hoo, Boy!...women trouble, already...you sure he's not a Conway, Hon?

Lynn: Laughs) Nah, he's he's a one-woman-at-a-time- guy...thinks Evelyn somebody is the best thing since the Montreal Expos.

Dan: Chuckles) Well,I 'll have to disabuse him o' that...time I'm done in Dunedin, he'll be a Padre fan...I'm really looking forward to this, Hon...just send him along here, okay?... and I'll take him round with me when I go to Spring Training, later this month.

Lynn: Bless you, Dan...you're the nearest thing to a father that he has, now.

Dan: Yep, it'll be good to have a boy around the place, again...I always was the family man, spawnin' baseball nuts and journalists!

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

San Diego Padres at Montreal Expos
    May 18, 1970

TOP OF THE FIRST
    Larry Dierker takes the mound for the Expos.
    John Donaldson walked. <--1>
    John Donaldson stole second. <-2->
    Larry Howard allowed a passed ball. <3-->
    Cristofer Ezane grounded to short, scoring a run. <--->
    Jesus Alou grounded to first. <--->
    Ken Harrelson grounded to the shortstop. <--->
    1 run, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 0 left on base.
    In the middle of the first, San Diego leads 1 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE FIRST
    Johnny Podres takes the mound for the Padres.
    Jimmy Rosario popped up to second. <--->
    Ed Kirkpatrick singled up the middle. <--1>
    Mack Jones struck out. <--1>
    Brooks Robinson singled to left, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Ron Allen struck out. <3-1>
    At the end of the first, Montreal trails 1 to 0.

TOP OF THE SECOND
    Mike Lum grounded to short. <--->
    Larry Biittner walked. <--1>
    Joe Azcue singled to left, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Dick Schofield struck out. <3-1>
    Johnny Podres struck out. <3-1>
    In the middle of the second, San Diego leads 1 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE SECOND
    Phil Gagliano flied out to center. <--->
    Larry Howard walked. <--1>
    Eddie Leon popped up foul down the first base line. <--1>
    Larry Dierker struck out. <--1>
    At the end of the second, Montreal trails 1 to 0.

TOP OF THE THIRD
    John Donaldson struck out. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane popped up behind home plate. <--->
    Jesus Alou grounded to second. <--->
    In the middle of the third, San Diego leads 1 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE THIRD
    Jimmy Rosario reached first on a fielding error by the second baseman. <--1>
    Ed Kirkpatrick walked. <-21>
    Mack Jones singled to center, scoring a run. <-21>
    Brooks Robinson doubled down the right field line, scoring a run. <32->
    Ron Allen flied out to right. <32->
    Mack Jones tagged up and scored. <-2->
    Phil Gagliano grounded to second. <3-->
    Larry Howard grounded to short. <3-->
    3 runs, 2 hits, 1 error, and 1 left on base.
    At the end of the third, Montreal leads 3 to 1.

TOP OF THE FOURTH
    Ken Harrelson homered over the left field fence. <--->
    Mike Lum hit an infield single to short. <--1>
    Mike Lum was picked off first. <--->
    Joe Azcue flied out to right. <--1>
    Dick Schofield was hit by a pitch. <-21>
    Johnny Podres grounded to the second baseman. <-21>
    1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the fourth, San Diego trails 3 to 2.

BOTTOM OF THE FOURTH
    Eddie Leon grounded to the pitcher. <--->
    Larry Dierker flied out to center. <--->
    Jimmy Rosario walked. <--1>
    Jimmy Rosario stole second. <-2->
    Ed Kirkpatrick lined out to left. <-2->
    At the end of the fourth, Montreal leads 3 to 2.

TOP OF THE FIFTH
    John Donaldson singled into right field. <--1>
    John Donaldson went for an extra base and reached second. <-2->
    Cristofer Ezane lined out to right. <-2->
    John Donaldson tagged up and reached third. <3-->
    Jesus Alou popped up foul down the third base line. <3-->
    Ken Harrelson was intentionally walked. <3-1>
    Mike Lum grounded to short. <3-1>
    In the middle of the fifth, San Diego trails 3 to 2.

BOTTOM OF THE FIFTH
    Mack Jones singled down the third base line. <--1>
    Brooks Robinson grounded to first, forcing the runner at second. <--1>
    Ron Allen popped up behind home plate. <--1>
    Phil Gagliano popped up to the second baseman. <--1>
    At the end of the fifth, Montreal leads 3 to 2.

TOP OF THE SIXTH
    Larry Biittner popped up to second. <--->
    Joe Azcue singled to center field. <--1>
    Joe Azcue went for an extra base and reached second. <-2->
    Dick Schofield struck out. <-2->
    Johnny Podres grounded to the second baseman. <-2->
    In the middle of the sixth, San Diego trails 3 to 2.

BOTTOM OF THE SIXTH
    Larry Howard singled through the left side. <--1>
    Eddie Leon walked. <-21>
    Larry Dierker laid down a sacrifice bunt to third. <32->
    Jimmy Rosario singled up the middle, scoring a run. <3-1>
    Ed Kirkpatrick struck out. <3-1>
    Mack Jones flied out to right. <3-1>
    1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the sixth, Montreal leads 4 to 2.

TOP OF THE SEVENTH
    Cristofer Ezane reached first on a fielding error by the second baseman. <-21>
    Jesus Alou grounded to short for a double play (6-4-3). <3-->
    Ken Harrelson was intentionally walked. <3-1>
    Mike Lum grounded to second. <3-1>
    0 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the seventh, San Diego trails 4 to 2.

BOTTOM OF THE SEVENTH
    Rusty Gerhardt now pitching for the Padres. <--->
    Brooks Robinson singled down the first base line. <--1>
    Brooks Robinson advanced on the error by Jesus Alou. <-2->
    Ron Allen lined out to short. <-2->
    Phil Gagliano was intentionally walked. <-21>
    Larry Howard flied out to right. <-21>
    Eddie Leon singled through the left side, scoring a run. <-21>
    Jimmie Hall pinch hit for Larry Dierker. <-21>
    Jimmie Hall struck out. <-21>
    1 run, 2 hits, 1 error, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the seventh, Montreal leads 5 to 2.

TOP OF THE EIGHTH
    Fred Scherman now pitching for the Expos. <--->
    Joe Azcue popped up to the shortstop. <--1>
    Dick Schofield laid down a sacrifice bunt to first. <-2->
    Bobby Brooks pinch hit for Rusty Gerhardt. <-2->
    Fred Scherman threw a wild pitch. <3-->
    Bobby Brooks was intentionally walked. <3-1>
    Ed Charles pinch hit for John Donaldson. <3-1>
    Ed Charles grounded to the pitcher. <3-1>
    0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    In the middle of the eighth, San Diego trails 5 to 2.

BOTTOM OF THE EIGHTH
    Chico Salmon came in to play Second Base. <--->
    Jimmy Rosario popped up to the shortstop. <--->
    Ed Kirkpatrick singled to left. <--1>
    Mack Jones singled to center, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Brooks Robinson popped up to short. <3-1>
    Ron Allen grounded to first. <3-1>
    At the end of the eighth, Montreal leads 5 to 2.

TOP OF THE NINTH
    Joe Hoerner now pitching for the Expos. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane walked. <--1>
    Jesus Alou laid down a sacrifice bunt to the pitcher. <-2->
    Ken Harrelson struck out. <-2->
    Mike Lum grounded to first. <-2->

EXPOS WIN: 5-2

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

Code:
    Expos best game in May

San Diego Padres at Montreal Expos
    May 18, 1970

Padres (SDP) 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0    2  5  2
             Expos (MON) 0 0 3 0 0 1 1 0 x    5 11  1

John Donaldson (2B)           2  1  2  1  0  0  1  1    .200
     Ed Charles (P)               1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .100
     Chico Salmon (P)             0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    Cristofer Ezane (3B)          4  0  1  0  0  1  0  0    .269
    Jesus Alou (RF)               4  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .275
    Ken Harrelson (CF)            3  1  2  1  1  1  1  0    .261
    Mike Lum (LF)                 5  1  0  0  0  0  0  0    .344
    Larry Biittner (1B)           1  0  3  0  0  0  0  0    .340
    Joe Azcue (C)                 4  2  0  0  0  0  0  0    .290
    Dick Schofield (SS)           2  0  0  0  0  0  2  0    .237
    Johnny Podres (P)             3  0  0  0  0  0  1  0    .190
     Rusty Gerhardt (P)           0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Bobby Brooks (P)             0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0    .273
    TOTALS                       29  5  9  2  1  2  5  1

2B:  Joe Azcue (6), John Donaldson (6)
       HR:  Ken Harrelson (7)
       HBP:  Dick Schofield
       GDP:  Jesus Alou
       CS:  Mike Lum
       E:  John Donaldson, Jesus Alou

Johnny Podres  6.0  7  4  0  4  3  4 109   5.76
              Rusty Gerhardt  1.0  2  1  0  1  1  1  20   1.35
               Steve Simpson  1.0  2  0  0  0  0  0  22   2.64
                      TOTALS  8.0 11  5  0  5  4  5 151

MONTREAL                     ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    Jimmy Rosario (CF)            4  1  1  1  0  1  0  1    .329
    Ed Kirkpatrick (RF)           4  2  1  1  0  0  1  0    .253
    Mack Jones (LF)               5  3  0  1  0  1  1  0    .258
    Brooks Robinson (3B)          5  3  0  1  0  1  0  0    .250
    Ron Allen (1B)                4  0  0  0  0  1  1  0    .182
    Phil Gagliano (2B)            3  0  1  0  0  0  0  0    .286
    Larry Howard (C)              3  1  1  1  0  0  0  0    .172
    Eddie Leon (SS)               3  1  1  0  0  1  0  0    .210
    Larry Dierker (P)             2  0  0  0  0  0  1  0    .125
     Jimmie Hall (P)              1  0  0  0  0  0  1  0    .136
     Fred Scherman (P)            0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Joe Hoerner (P)              0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    TOTALS                       34 11  5  5  0  5  5  1

2B:  Brooks Robinson (7)

DP:  Phil Gagliano, Eddie Leon, Ron Allen
       E:  Phil Gagliano

MONTREAL   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
               Larry Dierker  7.0  5  6  1  2  2  4 126   4.94
               Fred Scherman  1.0  0  2  0  0  0  0  19   5.23
                 Joe Hoerner  1.0  0  1  0  0  0  1  14   4.68
                      TOTALS  9.0  5  9  1  2  2  5 159

WP: Larry Dierker (4-6)
         LP: Johnny Podres (2-6)
         SV: Joe Hoerner (6)

Temperature: 82F
         Wind: 6 MPH (out to left)
         Attendance: 21,036
         Time: 3:01

Expos (21-36) are last in the N.l. East 20 GB of Mats (41-16)

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

New York Mets at San Diego Padres
    May 8, 1970

TOP OF THE FIRST
    Blue Moon Odom takes the mound for the Padres.
    Bud Harrelson struck out. <--->
    Ken Boswell singled to center field. <--1>
    The Mets put on the hit and run.
    Amos Otis grounded to short. <-2->
    Ed Kranepool was intentionally walked. <-21>
    Art Shamsky homered down the right-field line for three RBIs. <--->
    Ron Swoboda reached first on a fielding error by the first baseman. <--1>
    John Bateman grounded to the pitcher. <--1>
    3 runs, 2 hits, 1 error, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the first, New York leads 3 to 0.

BOTTOM OF THE FIRST
    Nolan Ryan takes the mound for the Mets.
    John Donaldson struck out. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane walked. <--1>
    Jesus Alou singled through the right side, advancing the runner to third. <3-1>
    Ken Harrelson walked. <321>
    Mike Lum homered over the left field fence for a grand slam. <--->
    Joe Azcue flied out to right field. <--1>
    Dick Schofield flied out to center. <--1>
    4 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    At the end of the first, San Diego leads 4 to 3.

TOP OF THE SECOND
    Bobby Pfeil struck out. <--->
    Nolan Ryan struck out. <--->
    Bud Harrelson popped up behind home plate. <--->
    In the middle of the second, New York trails 4 to 3.

BOTTOM OF THE SECOND
    Blue Moon Odom hit an infield single to first. <--1>
    John Donaldson grounded to short, forcing the runner at second. <--1>
    John Donaldson was caught stealing second. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane struck out. <--->
    0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 0 left on base.
    At the end of the second, San Diego leads 4 to 3.

TOP OF THE THIRD
    Ken Boswell flied out to center field. <--->
    Amos Otis tripled to left-center. <3-->
    Amos Otis went for an extra base and reached home, scoring a run. <--->
    Ed Kranepool doubled down the left field line. <-2->
    Art Shamsky doubled to deep left field, scoring a run. <-2->
    Ron Swoboda struck out. <-2->
    John Bateman struck out. <-2->
    2 runs, 3 hits, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    In the middle of the third, New York leads 5 to 4.

BOTTOM OF THE THIRD
    Jesus Alou lined out to right. <--->
    Ken Harrelson singled through the hole. <--1>
    Mike Lum struck out. <--1>
    Larry Biittner flied out to left. <--1>
    At the end of the third, San Diego trails 5 to 4.

TOP OF THE FOURTH
    Bobby Pfeil flied out to right. <--->
    Nolan Ryan struck out. <--->
    Bud Harrelson struck out. <--->
    In the middle of the fourth, New York leads 5 to 4.

BOTTOM OF THE FOURTH
    Joe Azcue singled to center. <--1>
    Dick Schofield walked. <-21>
    Blue Moon Odom laid down a sacrifice bunt to the third baseman. <32->
    John Donaldson flied out to right field. <32->
    Joe Azcue tagged up and scored. <-2->
    Cristofer Ezane flied out to center. <-2->
    1 run, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 1 left on base.
    At the end of the fourth, the game is tied at 5.

TOP OF THE FIFTH
    Ken Boswell popped up to short. <--->
    Amos Otis grounded to second. <--->
    Ed Kranepool singled to left. <--1>
    Art Shamsky was hit by a pitch. <-21>
    Ron Swoboda popped up to second. <-21>
    In the middle of the fifth, the game is tied at 5.

BOTTOM OF THE FIFTH
    Jesus Alou grounded to second. <--->
    Ken Harrelson singled back through the middle. <--1>
    Ken Harrelson went for an extra base and reached second. <-2->
    Tug McGraw now pitching for the Mets. <-2->
    Mike Lum popped up to third. <-2->
    Larry Biittner singled to right, scoring a run. <--1>
    Larry Biittner went for an extra base and reached second. <-2->
    Joe Azcue lined out to center field. <-2->
    At the end of the fifth, San Diego leads 6 to 5.

TOP OF THE SIXTH
    John Bateman grounded to the second baseman. <--->
    Bobby Pfeil grounded to second. <--->
    Tug McGraw flied out to right. <--->
    In the middle of the sixth, New York trails 6 to 5.

BOTTOM OF THE SIXTH
    Dick Schofield popped up to the catcher in foul ground. <--->
    Blue Moon Odom struck out. <--->
    Cristofer Ezane struck out. <--1>
    At the end of the sixth, San Diego leads 6 to 5.

TOP OF THE SEVENTH
    Bud Harrelson walked. <--1>
    Ken Boswell laid down a sacrifice bunt to first base. <-2->
    Amos Otis was intentionally walked. <-21>
    Blue Moon Odom threw a wild pitch. <32->
    Ed Kranepool was intentionally walked. <321>
    Rusty Gerhardt now pitching for the Padres. <321>
    Art Shamsky lined out to first. <321>
    Ron Swoboda walked, scoring a run. <321>
    John Bateman flied out to center field. <321>
    1 run, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 3 left on base.
    In the middle of the seventh, the game is tied at 6.

BOTTOM OF THE SEVENTH
    Ron Taylor now pitching for the Mets. <--->
    Jesus Alou popped up to second. <--->
    Ken Harrelson grounded back to the pitcher. <--->
    Mike Lum reached first on a fielding error by the shortstop. <--1>
    Larry Biittner grounded to short. <--1>
    0 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, and 1 left on base.
    At the end of the seventh, the game is tied at 6.

TOP OF THE EIGHTH
    Bobby Pfeil singled to center. <--1>
    Al Weis pinch hit for Ron Taylor. <--1>
    Al Weis struck out. <--1>
    Bud Harrelson laid down a sacrifice bunt to the pitcher. <-2->
    Ken Boswell singled down the right field line, scoring a run. <--1>
    Amos Otis flied out to right field. <--1>
    In the middle of the eighth, New York leads 7 to 6.

BOTTOM OF THE EIGHTH
    Ray Culp now pitching for the Mets. <--->
    Joe Azcue popped up to second. <--->
    The Mets guarded the lines.
    Dick Schofield struck out. <--->
    Bobby Brooks pinch hit for Rusty Gerhardt. <--->
    Bobby Brooks walked. <--1>
    John Donaldson walked. <-21>
    Cristofer Ezane struck out. <-21>
    0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, and 2 left on base.
    At the end of the eighth, San Diego trails 7 to 6.

TOP OF THE NINTH
    Ed Kranepool singled to center. <--1>
    Art Shamsky laid down a sacrifice bunt to first. <-2->
    Ron Swoboda walked. <-21>
    John Bateman struck out. <-21>
    Bobby Pfeil walked. <321>
    Ray Culp popped up to short. <321>
    0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, and 3 left on base.
    In the middle of the ninth, New York leads 7 to 6.

BOTTOM OF THE NINTH
    Jesus Alou hit an infield single to third. <--1>
    Ken Harrelson laid down a sacrifice bunt to first. <-2->
    Mike Lum homered down the left-field line for two RBIs. <--->

PADRES WIN: 8-7

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

Code:
    Padres' best game in May

New York Mets at San Diego Padres
    May 8, 1970

Mets (NYM) 3 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 0    7  9  1
            Padres (SDP) 4 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 2    8  9  1

NEW YORK                     ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    Bud Harrelson (SS)            3  0  1  1  0  0  2  0    .414
    Ken Boswell (2B)              4  2  0  1  0  1  0  0    .256
    Amos Otis (CF)                4  1  1  1  1  1  0  0    .240
    Ed Kranepool (1B)             3  3  2  2  0  0  0  0    .379
    Art Shamsky (LF)              3  2  0  1  1  4  0  0    .314
    Ron Swoboda (RF)              3  0  2  0  0  1  1  0    .280
    John Bateman (C)              5  0  0  0  0  0  2  0    .150
    Bobby Pfeil (3B)              4  1  1  1  0  0  1  0    .300
    Nolan Ryan (P)                2  0  0  0  0  0  2  0    .105
     Tug McGraw (P)               1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Ron Taylor (P)               0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Al Weis (P)                  1  0  0  0  0  0  1  0    .200
     Ray Culp (P)                 1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
    TOTALS                       34  9  7  7  2  7  9  0

2B:  Ed Kranepool (7), Art Shamsky (3)
       HR:  Art Shamsky (6), Amos Otis (4)
       HBP:  Art Shamsky
       E:  Bud Harrelson

NEW YORK   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
                  Nolan Ryan  4.1  6  4  1  6  6  3  86   3.86
                  Tug McGraw  1.2  1  1  0  0  0  2  31   7.11
                  Ron Taylor  1.0  0  0  0  0  0  0  14   2.16
                    Ray Culp  1.1  2  2  1  2  2  2  28   7.94
                      TOTALS  8.1  9  7  2  8  8  7 159

John Donaldson (2B)           2  0  2  0  0  1  1  0    .198
    Cristofer Ezane (3B)          4  0  1  1  0  0  3  0    .285
    Jesus Alou (RF)               5  2  0  2  0  0  0  0    .296
    Ken Harrelson (CF)            3  2  1  2  0  0  0  0    .260
    Mike Lum (LF)                 5  2  0  2  2  6  1  0    .361
    Larry Biittner (1B)           3  1  1  0  0  1  0  0    .400
    Joe Azcue (C)                 4  1  0  1  0  0  0  0    .255
    Dick Schofield (SS)           3  0  1  0  0  0  1  0    .257
    Blue Moon Odom (P)            2  1  0  0  0  0  1  0    .182
     Rusty Gerhardt (P)           0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .000
     Bobby Brooks (P)             0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0    .316
    TOTALS                       31  9  7  8  2  8  7  0

2B:  Larry Biittner (2), Ken Harrelson (8)
       HR:  Mike Lum 2 (5)
       CS:  John Donaldson
       E:  Larry Biittner

Blue Moon Odom  6.1  6  4  2  6  6  7 103   5.80
              Rusty Gerhardt  1.2  2  1  0  1  1  1  35   1.25
               Steve Simpson  1.0  1  2  0  0  0  1  22   3.00
                      TOTALS  9.0  9  7  2  7  7  9 160

WP: Steve Simpson (4-0)
         LP: Ray Culp (0-2)

Temperature: 71F
         Wind: 6 MPH (left to right)
         Attendance: 26,494
         Time: 3:14

The Padres (19-34) are last in the N.L.West, 9.5 GB of the Giants

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

Jacy goes rural

March 1970

Now that things were going so well with their three shops, Jacy and Toni Conway decided to give themselves a break.

Young Donny Twinn had taken a real proprietory interest in the Thrift Shop, and was content to operate it 48 hours a week, especially as the Conways - who under the terms of his probation, weren't required to pay him at all - cut him in for 10% of the handsome profits that the second-hand shop was now bringing in. It was far from a living-wage, but the youth seemed to appreciate it, highly, and, in fact, extended his wealth by amazing prescience at the betting-shop, a few doors away, where he placed winning bets far more than the average punter.

Once Toni had made her morning rounds of the store, and the Conway beauty-salon next door, smoothly run, as always, by Dora, the head stylist, she was free to go home to Mount St, tend to the toddler, Queenie, who had been under the watchful eye of Mrs Harris, and relieve her husband for the breakfast and lunch-breaks, after which she took her own. Their workdays at the newsagent's shop were now curtailed by Emily Walker, one of the previous owners of the store, who was quite happy to come in, for a handsome wage, to run the shop for the last two hours before closing.

Now that they had avoided the bane of most Mom-and-Pop operators,of stores like the newsagents in Britain, a work-week of anything between 70 to 80 plus hours, the two began to plan to cut it down to a mere 55 hours, Monday to Friday. they would, with Emily's cheerful co-operation, extend her hours to work the weekend in the newsagents with yet another part -time hiring of one more spry retiree, a Mrs Baker; the two elderly ladies would spell each other throughout the Saturday, and the Sunday mornings, that newsagents traditionally were open for, whilst the young Conway family took its weekend ease in the country.

Much as the Conways enjoyed the bright lights and the hustle and bustle of London, like most Metropolitans, they yearned to get away for a spell to unwind in the countryside, most houses and cottages out in the sticks, already having been long snapped up by rich out -of towners, a new lifestyle had evolved in the land - that of living in caravans on designated sites which had been approved by the local rural councils of being supplied with fresh water, adequate toilet facilities, and access to electric power.https://www.google.ca/search?q=carav...FeaP0gKO2YXIBw

A further hurdle for the Londoner who was a wannabe weekend countryman, was that the site be within reasonable access to the "Smoke" Many a rural weekende was spoiled by having to journey tiresome hours each way Friday evening, leaving of City homes, and Sunday afternoon returnings thereto.

The Conway's objective was to find a large enough caravan for the three of them, with all the amenities of home, and not too far out of London, but after a month of investigation they discovered that weekends and holidays spent in a caravan was the dream of thousands of other Londoners.

There were many caravan sites in the immediate six or seven counties adjacent to London, but they all seemed to be filled with happy holidaymakers already - the nearest one available that Tommy Cooper offered was one on the Sussex coast, near Brighton, a couple of hours commute, in the Conways venerable Morris Minor.

Was the game worth the candle? Jacy and Toni asked themselves...little Queenie had her say on the subject, but they couldn't figure out the eighteen-month's old childish babble .
    (To be continued)

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.