Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Sports Mogul MLB Awards

2012 Sports Mogul MLB Awards

PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES
    There have been some changes to the ballots, most notably the Gold Glove award for outfielders.

Rules:
    • 1) All ballots must be sent by email to thoughtxriot at gmail dot com with the subject "Sports Mogul Awards" OR sent via private message to me with the same subject. Please do not send both an email and a private message. If you email it to me, please list your forum user name as well. You can post your votes on the forums, if you want, but only votes sent via email or PM will be officially counted. I will be making a thread where you can post your ballots. Please do not post ballots in this thread.
    • 2) Please try to be as unbiased as you can when voting. Please vote for players based on the merits of their performance and the award at hand. Don't vote for your favorite players if they're clearly not worthy.
    • 3) All ballots must be easily readable. Each award has multiple slots on the ballot. Please number your ballot for each award so that the spot you place a player is easily seen. Alternatively, you can list players separated by commas, with your #1 vote being first, #2 second, and so on.
    • 4) You do not have to vote for each award. Just make sure to designate which awards you are voting for. See the following for an example of an organized ballot:
      AL MVP
      1) Player X
      2) Player F
      3) Player V

NL MVP
      1) Player Z
      2) Player A
      3) Player B

AL Cy Young
      1) Player 1
      2) Player 2
      3) Player 3
      or, alternatively:
      AL MVP: Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, Player 4, etc.
      AL Cy Young: Player 1, Player 2, Player 3
      AL ROTY: Player 1, Player 2, Player 3
    • 5) Please fill out the EXACT amount of slots available for any awards you're voting for. For MVP, please list exactly 10 players, no more, no less. For Cy Young, exactly 5 pitchers. For Gold Glove and Silver Slugger, exactly 3 players per position, and so on.
    • 6) Any ballots that don't adhere to these rules will not be counted. I will reply to you if your ballot does not follow the rules, and give you a chance to resubmit it in accordance with the rules.

The awards we will be voting on are as follows. Each award will have two winners, one from each league, so please vote separately for each league in each award. Note that this does not apply to the Loaiza/Anderson/Turnbow awards, which will have one winner from all of MLB rather than one per league. The numbers in parenthesis are the amount of players per league each voter must list on their ballot.

For the 10-slot MVP ballot, a 1st place vote is worth 14 points, a 2nd place vote is worth 9 points, a 3rd place vote is worth 8 points, and so on down to a 10th place vote being worth 1 point.

For the 5-slot Cy Young ballot, a 1st place vote is worth 7 points, a 2nd place vote is worth 4 points, a 3rd place vote is worth 3 points, a 4th place vote is worth 2 points and a 5th place vote is worth 1 point.

For all 3-slot ballots, a 1st place vote is worth 5 points, a 2nd place vote is worth 3 points, and a 3rd place vote is worth 1 point.

One per league:
    Most Valuable Player (10)
    Cy Young Award (5)
    Rookie of the Year (3) (The rookie thresholds are 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched, or 45 days on the active roster of a major league club, excluding time on the disabled list. A player who, at the beginning of the season, is over any of those thresholds is not eligible for the award.)
    Relief Pitcher of the Year (3)
    Hank Aaron Award (3) (Best offensive performer)
    Gold Glove (3 P, 3 C, 3 1B, 3 2B, 3 3B, 3 SS, 3 LF, 3 CF, 3 RF)
    Silver Slugger (3 P in NL, 3 DH in AL, 3 C, 3 1B, 3 2B, 3 3B, 3 SS, 3 LF, 3 CF, 3 RF)
    Manager of the Year (3)
    General Manager of the Year (3)
    Comeback Player of the Year (3)
    Breakout Position Player of the Year (3)
    Breakout Pitcher of the Year (3)

One for MLB:
    Esteban Loaiza Award (3)
    Brady Anderson Award (3)
    Derrick Turnbow Award (3)

Other:
    Team Most Valuable Players (3 per team)

For the individual team MVP's, please submit a 3-player ballot for each team.

Please make note that each separate outfield position will get its own award for Gold Glove. On your ballots, please list a player at the position which he played the most games.

For descriptions of the following six awards - Comeback Player, Breakout Position Player, Breakout Pitcher, Esteban Loaiza, Brady Anderson, Derrick Turnbow - along with possible candidates, please see the Preliminary Candidate Discussion thread. For the Loaiza/Anderson/Turnbow awards, we will only be awarding one player, rather than one player per league, so please vote accordingly. This is due to the limited number of candidates.

Please feel free to post or PM any questions you may have. Thanks all, and I look forward to the voting!
    Last edited by HoustonGM; 10-22-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Re: 2012 Sports Mogul MLB Awards

If you wish to post or discuss your ballot, either prior to submitting it or after you have submitted it, please use the appropriate thread. This thread is not for discussion of the ballots, and should only deal with questions concerning the voting process itself.

2) Please try to be as unbiased as you can when voting. Please vote for players based on the merits of their performance and the award at hand. Don't vote for your favorite players if they're clearly not worthy.
    6) Any ballots that don't adhere to these rules will not be counted. I will reply to you if your ballot does not follow the rules, and give you a chance to resubmit it in accordance with the rules.

so just because you think someone is wrong, you can discount their vote until they change it to your liking?

Quote Originally Posted by karebear View Post
    so just because you think someone is wrong, you can discount their vote until they change it to your liking?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    No.
    i think ALL votes should be required to be public so that everyone can see potential problems in the way someone is voting. it should not be up to one person to pass their judgment on the matter. how does that sound?

i think ALL votes should be required to be public so that everyone can see potential problems in the way someone is voting. it should not be up to one person to pass their judgment on the matter. how does that sound?
    People are free to post their votes in the provided thread if they wish.

I do not "pass my judgment" on the votes I receive. I count all the votes as they are. The only times I have waited to count a vote and sent a message back asking for a correction have been when there were too few spots on the ballot filled out, or an ineligible player was listed (such as for Rookie of the Year), and other such discrepancies.

We're not interested in your voting clearinghouse, is how that sounds.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

HGM: Corrupt politician

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    HGM: Corrupt politician
    OH MAN do you think this guy could be the return of MightyZug?!?!?!??
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

Quote Originally Posted by haveacigar View Post
    OH MAN do you think this guy could be the return of MightyZug?!?!?!??
    I hope so. I really hope so. Of course no mention of Nied yet

HGM wont throw away your ballot if you vote miguel first. He probably would if you put adam greenberg first in the mvp ballot.

If a player switched leagues, can they still be under consideration for an award in his first league? I really want to put Adrian Gonzalez as 1B Gold glove but I don't know if he's eligible in the AL

Mike Trout had 83 days of service time entering this season. I'm not sure how much of that was spent on the DL. Is he eligible for the ROTY this year? I just assumed he was because of everyone talking about how much of a shoo-in he was for the award.
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

Quote Originally Posted by LQ1Z34 View Post
    HGM wont throw away your ballot if you vote miguel first. He probably would if you put adam greenberg first in the mvp ballot.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by asianinvasion View Post
    If a player switched leagues, can they still be under consideration for an award in his first league? I really want to put Adrian Gonzalez as 1B Gold glove but I don't know if he's eligible in the AL
    If you believe that the value in the field that Adrian Gonzalez provided in 123 games puts him in the top 3 of AL first basemen, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
    Mike Trout had 83 days of service time entering this season. I'm not sure how much of that was spent on the DL. Is he eligible for the ROTY this year? I just assumed he was because of everyone talking about how much of a shoo-in he was for the award.
    He's a rookie. http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-a...the-year-award

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Gawd, MLB roster rules are crazy.
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi