Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arrested For Dancing

Arrested For Dancing

An interesting wave of civil disobedience at the Jefferson Memorial in unfurling the last few months. It started when a woman and some friends decided to dance at the Jefferson Memorial in appreciation of Jefferson's birthday. She was arrested and lost the following court case. Now the laws states any person or group that is looking for attention in anyway is protesting and will be arrested.

So an Iraq war vet decided to test the ruling and this is what happened (link below). This weekend supposedly over 1500 people will meet at the Memorial at noon on June 6th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUU3yCy3uI
    If you find yourself agreeing with Glenn Beck, odds are pretty good you're wrong.
    Alloutwar

Re: Arrested For Dancing

Ironic.

This really reminds me of George Carlin talking about freedom. @ 3:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

i don't know....this seems like a bit of slanted editing. I can certainly see how people dancing in large groups can become a disturbance. I certainly can see how playing music loud enough to dance to can become a disturbance. May I ask the purpose of their "dancing" at the Jefferson Memorial? It seems to me they are trying to become a disturbance and push the envelope. when that happens, usually someone ends up being a jacka$$ and crossing the line.

if i had to guess, this is the chain of events that likely took place in some fashion or another;

- At some point a couple of overly exuberant individuals were playing an mp3 and dancing around the memorial.

- Their dancing likely disturbed others in the memorial, who complained.

- The security politely asked them not to dance as it was disturbing others.

- The couple either blogged about it in some freedom of expression website, or maybe even got upset and argued and were thrown out of the memorial or arrested.

- A chain of events unfolded in which half the story was given out, drawing sympathy for the "dancers" who weren't allowed to dance.

- In protest, many now have begun dancing in the Memorial to test the patience of security, becoming a spectacle and a disturbance.

Just a guess. I'd say that is more likely than a rogue security officer who significantly overreacted to someone dancing and trying to limit free speech & expression.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    i don't know....this seems like a bit of slanted editing. I can certainly see how people dancing in large groups can become a disturbance. I certainly can see how playing music loud enough to dance to can become a disturbance. May I ask the purpose of their "dancing" at the Jefferson Memorial? It seems to me they are trying to become a disturbance and push the envelope. when that happens, usually someone ends up being a jacka$$ and crossing the line.

if i had to guess, this is the chain of events that likely took place in some fashion or another;

- At some point a couple of overly exuberant individuals were playing an mp3 and dancing around the memorial.

- Their dancing likely disturbed others in the memorial, who complained.

- The security politely asked them not to dance as it was disturbing others.

- The couple either blogged about it in some freedom of expression website, or maybe even got upset and argued and were thrown out of the memorial or arrested.

- A chain of events unfolded in which half the story was given out, drawing sympathy for the "dancers" who weren't allowed to dance.

- In protest, many now have begun dancing in the Memorial to test the patience of security, becoming a spectacle and a disturbance.

Just a guess. I'd say that is more likely than a rogue security officer who significantly overreacted to someone dancing and trying to limit free speech & expression.
    Nope the first woman arrested was dancing standing in place with ear phones on. It was at midnight was barely anyone there. She was asked to stop and didn't, then they arrested her. And for the record I'm not sure which side to agree with, I've heard very good arguments from both sides.
    If you find yourself agreeing with Glenn Beck, odds are pretty good you're wrong.
    Alloutwar

The only ones creating any kind of disturbance were the police.
    “Whenever legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience.”

-John Locke, 1690

"Trusting contemporary governments means dividing humanity into two classes: those who can be trusted with power to run other people’s lives, and those who cannot even be trusted to run their own lives. "

-James Bovard, 2010

“When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.”

-C.P. Snow

Quote Originally Posted by guidi2009 View Post
    Nope the first woman arrested was dancing standing in place with ear phones on. It was at midnight was barely anyone there. She was asked to stop and didn't, then they arrested her. And for the record I'm not sure which side to agree with, I've heard very good arguments from both sides.
    i haven't followed the story...but do we know this was the first woman arrested for sure? Do we know she wasn't suspected of being under the influence, and that is why she was arrested? I don't know....midnight and someone has headphones on, dancing around the memorial??? seems a bit quirky to me. I'd like to hear from the cops exactly what they were thinking and why they arrested her.

from her though, the video that was linked shows a small movement of people really trying to be obnoxious and disturbing. They bring cameras to video tape their provoked altercations with the police. its all premeditated. maybe they all aren't dancing at the same time, but are taking turns trying to aggrevate police. Hows that not a disturbance??

maybe it was a mistake initially. it doesn't make what these bozo's are doing OK. they should pool their money and hire the first an attorney rather than be jackassess. its so juvenile, reminds me of middle school tbqh.

i haven't followed the story...but do we know this was the first woman arrested for sure? Do we know she wasn't suspected of being under the influence, and that is why she was arrested? I don't know....midnight and someone has headphones on, dancing around the memorial??? seems a bit quirky to me. I'd like to hear from the cops exactly what they were thinking and why they arrested her.

from her though, the video that was linked shows a small movement of people really trying to be obnoxious and disturbing. They bring cameras to video tape their provoked altercations with the police. its all premeditated. maybe they all aren't dancing at the same time, but are taking turns trying to aggrevate police. Hows that not a disturbance??

maybe it was a mistake initially. it doesn't make what these bozo's are doing OK. they should pool their money and hire the first an attorney rather than be jackassess. its so juvenile, reminds me of middle school tbqh.
    Nothing wrong with peaceful civil disobedience, as an American you should love it. The video was the 2nd incident in protest of the first two months prior.
    Alloutwar

Quote Originally Posted by guidi2009 View Post
    Nothing wrong with peaceful civil disobedience, as an American you should love it. The video was the 2nd incident in protest of the first two months prior.
    i dont' know if i agree. this seems like an extremely childish overreaction and a disturbance. those involved in the video deserved to be arrested. i'm not speaking of the initial person, because I don't know.

I agree. I also think those black people in the 1960's shouldn't have been so "obnoxious and disturbing" either.

inb4 you tell me it isn't the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    I agree. I also think those black people in the 1960's shouldn't have been so "obnoxious and disturbing" either.

inb4 you tell me it isn't the same thing
    if you know it's not the same thing, than why post it? It's actually as absurd a comparison as one can come up with and almost insulting tbqh.

if you know it's not the same thing, than why post it? It's actually as absurd a comparison as one can come up with and almost insulting tbqh.
    In terms of gravity and circumstance, yeah, it isn't the same thing. There are some similarities insomuch as both being forms of civil disobedience. I just find it funny that you seem to reject it out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    In terms of gravity and circumstance, yeah, it isn't the same thing. There are some similarities insomuch as both being forms of civil disobedience. I just find it funny that you seem to reject it out of hand.
    i dont' reject civil disobedience out of hand. there's a time and place for it. i don't really think i could even explain it, but this dancing issue doesn't seem to come close to it IMHO. Again, i've admitted that I don't know the facts surrounding this entirely, and don't know tbh if anyone in here does. I admit to speculating, but from what i've read, this is juvenile. They have many other avenues to express their dissatisfaction and this seems like something that seems to steamroll from an overly exaggerated event. Even if there was a single excessive use of police force, going in group to act like jackasses and purposely create a disturbance over it is absurd.

when i was, oh i don't know...15 or so, the seniors in my highschool began discussing a school walkout as a form of civil disobedience to object to something. As it trickled throughout the school that there would be this walkout, what got lost was the reason. Most, myself included, didn't even know what it was about....we just heard school walk out and jumped in. I was one of the small percentage who followed through with the walkout, and was given detention as a result. This dancing fiasco seems equally as juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
    The only ones creating any kind of disturbance were the police.
    ********. These people deliberately created a disturbance in order to provoke a police response. It's a valid point of debate as to whether or not a police response was truly warranted, or whether or not the police used excessive force, but that the demonstrators were creating a disturbance is pretty obvious.