Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: peyton hillis subjected to racial slurs....

peyton hillis subjected to racial slurs....

interesting how this has been really a non-story. the insinuation of racism towards obama in another thread on this forum reminded me of this article. I feel kind of appalled at the double standard in society today. If this were a group of white defenders making racial slurs to a black HB it would be a huge story with suspensions involved. Why isn't Jesse Jackson and Rev. Sharpton out there defending Hillis and racial equality?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_811915.html

people are quick apparently to write this kind of stuff off as a non-story. "whites deserve it" is something i've heard, or "get used to it, its part of society now".

not only now is there a double standard towards racism, but apparently if one is white and subjected to racism they are supposed to accept it and not take issue. i'm not so certain our society has in fact moved forward in this area as far as it appears on the surface.

Re: peyton hillis subjected to racial slurs....

It seems to me that black people are hypocrites, always whining about us calling them ****** and whatever else we call them. Then they turn around and call themselves and white people a whack load of different derogatory remarks but as soon as a white person says something they all gang up on him, Calling him a racist and what not. Personally I think black people themselves have made this a bigger issue than it ever was, as I was never offended when anyone called me a cracker or whatever else they may call me. They always blame other people for not being hired or accepted into a school because they are black. Without even looking at maybe the reason was they didn't have the proper merits or education, no they just immediately think its because they're black, and it sickens me that people think like that. That's just my two cents, and I was never personally around back in the days when Martin Luther King was fighting for free speech and equality but that's how I see it. And maybe the simple reason this is a Non-story is because white people don't make a huge deal out of it like a black person would.

I don't really know what kind of mental effect being the decedents of a slave race has on a person. Considering the poorest area's of this nation are still majority black I would assume it would be a pretty heavy burden. Perhaps in the future when slums are not divided by color we can all look back and call each other racist names and laugh at ourselves.

Athletics was the first "in" black people had in this country, yeah some might be protective. I can tell you as a pretty good white basketball player who has played in slums in NC, NY, NJ, RI, DC and VA, from 91 to 06 where I was always the only white guy, I was treated with respect 100% of the time.
    If you find yourself agreeing with Glenn Beck, odds are pretty good you're wrong.
    Alloutwar

Why should white people make a big deal about it? Yeah there's a double standard, but I don't really see why I as a white person am supposed to care. White people are still ahead like 400 to 5 in terms of having advantages in their lives due to race.

Sometimes people with the least ****, get to say the most ****. And the people who got the most ****, gotta say the least ****.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

Yeah, I don't see this as a big deal. This is kind of like "Where is White Entertainment Television?" Uh, CBS, NBC, and ABC

Non-story, because it's not about race, it's about taunting an opponent. The defenders would be trash talking him if he was black, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Non-story, because it's not about race, it's about taunting an opponent. The defenders would be trash talking him if he was black, too.
    so it would be OK if urlacher or some other white defensive player called McNabb the "n" word and all other kinds of racial epithets?

Why should white people make a big deal about it? Yeah there's a double standard, but I don't really see why I as a white person am supposed to care. White people are still ahead like 400 to 5 in terms of having advantages in their lives due to race.

Sometimes people with the least ****, get to say the most ****. And the people who got the most ****, gotta say the least ****.
    i understand all that but am wondering if we as a society really haven't grown and evolved from where we were in the not so distant past. As a society I would hope we would take issue and frown upon this behavior. There was a time when it was acceptable by society to degrade blacks, and now we find it acceptable yet again years later as a society to degrade people yet again based upon the color of their skin.

I don't care because i'm white...i care because i'm human and think we should be beyond degrading another human based upon skin color. Be it in sport, or anything for that matter.

I don't think we as a society will ever be able to evolve beyond that, frankly.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    You would be correct if the taunts weren't racist in nature.
    “Whenever legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience.”

-John Locke, 1690

"Trusting contemporary governments means dividing humanity into two classes: those who can be trusted with power to run other people’s lives, and those who cannot even be trusted to run their own lives. "

-James Bovard, 2010

“When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.”

-C.P. Snow

I'll agree with Dickay on this one...there is an enormous double standard when it comes to racism. Look, black people are CLEARLY much more discriminated against white people in this country...no one is denying that..but that doesn't make this behavior okay and doesn't mean white people should just have to deal with it. If people like Sharpton and Jackson are going to be so passionate against racism, it should be against ALL racism, not just racism against black people.

If this were Michael Vick talking about how Peyton Manning was calling him a n***** and other racist language, it would be an enormous story...but when it's the other way around..no big deal. That's not right. Doesn't mean we need to make it some enormous issue..but it's clearly a double standard that stands in the way of getting past racism itself.
    My runs created per 27 posts (RC/27p) was 12.4 last year. I should've been MVP.

Right because if there really was a WHITE ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK or a WHITE BEAUTY PAGEANT or a WHITE COLLEGE FUND or a WHITE HISTORY MONTH it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

And it's not reverse racism.. it's racism pure and simple and they get away with it because of their color.

And the assumption that 'whites' in this country have it so much better and have so many more opportunities is ridiculous. There are so many more athletic scholarships and black scholarships and scholarships for the poor and the underprivileged that as a white person you'd just about better have the money to get into college because you're probably not going to otherwise. Not to mention the equal rights movement and many companies being absolutely forced (under the term equality) to hire blacks and other minorities even if there is a more appropriate white candidate. And then with everything being politically correct and how dare a white person ever raise his voice or concerns over things like this...... yep, we have it sooooo much better.

(sorry, late to the party on this one, been busy with family stuff but do think this is an important topic)

By the way, since this is an NFL story, it's ALWAYS hilarious to me to hear guys like Rev. Jackson and that ilk complaining about the lack of black owners or head coaches in the NFL and make it sound like it's their God given right to hold those positions and basically claim racism because they feel the numbers don't equal up.

Once, just once I'd like some reporter to have the frackin balls and ask the good Rev why is it that he considers it racism that there aren't enough black owners or head coaches... but NOT racism when 85% of the NFL is black and only approximately 13% of the country is. Seems to me there are far too many blacks playing ball and not nearly enough whites.

Racism?
    Top Tier Mogul
    Where the Best come to Play

Top Tier Mogul

Rambling-Rich the Blog

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Right because if there really was a WHITE ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK or a WHITE BEAUTY PAGEANT or a WHITE COLLEGE FUND or a WHITE HISTORY MONTH it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

And it's not reverse racism.. it's racism pure and simple and they get away with it because of their color.

And the assumption that 'whites' in this country have it so much better and have so many more opportunities is ridiculous. There are so many more athletic scholarships and black scholarships and scholarships for the poor and the underprivileged that as a white person you'd just about better have the money to get into college because you're probably not going to otherwise. Not to mention the equal rights movement and many companies being absolutely forced (under the term equality) to hire blacks and other minorities even if there is a more appropriate white candidate. And then with everything being politically correct and how dare a white person ever raise his voice or concerns over things like this...... yep, we have it sooooo much better.

(sorry, late to the party on this one, been busy with family stuff but do think this is an important topic)

By the way, since this is an NFL story, it's ALWAYS hilarious to me to hear guys like Rev. Jackson and that ilk complaining about the lack of black owners or head coaches in the NFL and make it sound like it's their God given right to hold those positions and basically claim racism because they don't feel the numbers don't equal up.

Once, just once I'd like some reporter to have the frackin balls and ask the good Rev why is it that he considers it racism that there aren't enough black owners or head coaches... but NOT racism when 85% of the NFL is black and only approximately 13% of the country is. Seems to me there are far too many blacks playing ball and not nearly enough whites.

Racism?
    appreciate and agree with your feedback (most of it anyway), even if it is late...no need to apologize. I'm glad some aren't looking at this as a "non-issue" because it really shouldn't be. The fact that many expect whites to in fact look at these things as "non-issues" and just accept clear instances of racism is what the real issue is.

I do think that there may be some racism amongst owners in "their" elite club of team owners and certainly think there is racism in terms of head coaching. I agree one can't make that claim however solely on numbers and percentages and your point of using the percentage of players that are black highlights why. I think in general there are far more talented black players than there are whites, which is why the numbers are higher amongst players. Biology may have something to do with it, as well as culturally. Maybe whites aren't looking to play football professionally as much as blacks are. I don't know those answers, but would guess some of both maybe.

White people complaining about being the victims of racism feels to me like a billionaire complaining to a guy in line at the soup kitchen that the soda machine ate his dollar.

No, clearly I was joking at that part.

I would hate to think it is racism, and it's probably more 'elitism' as you put it but the assumption from them many times is that they are due the jobs or it's their right, which it certainly isn't. Just as it isn't the right of some old fat white man to hold the job 'cause he's in the club.

As far as sports in general, I think that's mostly athleticism.... but that then leads to an old argument that most don't want to get into of whether or not 'blacks' are more athletically inclined whereas 'whites' tend to do better academically.

Don't ever bring that up to a black person.

But like I said, it's humorous at best that they think or feel they are owed certain things and that there is a double-standard when it comes to racism or what's politically correct or not. Racism is just wrong plain and simple and it doesn't matter who it's coming from.
    Top Tier Mogul
    Where the Best come to Play

Top Tier Mogul

Rambling-Rich the Blog

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    White people complaining about being the victims of racism feels to me like a billionaire complaining to a guy in line at the soup kitchen that the soda machine ate his dollar.
    we've made little to no progress in this area if as a society we are going to just accept racism because its towards a white person. racism is wrong, and needs to be treated as such and seriously, regardless of where its directed.