Thread: Best. Offensive Career. Ever.

Best. Offensive Career. Ever.

Every once in a while I like to have BM start from scratch in 1901, using default settings, and sim through to the present, just to see what would happen. This time around, I was treated to this:

I have never, ever seen a result like this before. Here is a brief list of his accolades:

1927 Rookie of the Year (which, given his stats for that year, looks a bit questionable)
    18-time All-Star
    15-time MVP (1928-36, 1938-42, 1944)
    20-time Gold Glove Winner
    2-time World Champion (1949, 1950; neither was with Philadelphia, sadly)

All-Time Leader in:
    Extra Base Hits (2040), Games Played (3452), Hits (4048), Home Runs (1191), RBIs (3552), Runs Scored (3483), Total Bases (8566), Walks (4049)

10.5% of his AB and 29.4% of his total hits were Home Runs

60+ HR 10 times (1928, 1930-31, 1933-36, 1939-41)
    Hit less than .300 4 times in 25 seasons
    Hit .400+ 5 straight years (1930-34)

---------------------------------------------

I only highlighted some of his single season stats in the picture, but hot damn. 1191 home runs? The all-time leader in pretty much every measurable offensive category...

It's just a shame his teams in Philadelphia (with both the Phillies and the Athletics) were so horrible. The highest either the Phillies or the Athletics finished with him was 3rd, he moved to the Yankees and won back-to-back titles, and then proceeded to go to the cellar-dwelling Giants to close out his career (they finished 7th both years).

These results were achieved using 13.08, a classic game starting in 1901, and no changes to the default settings. Just straight-on simming from 1901 to April of 2010.

Has anyone else seen such freakish stats in a sim before?

Re: Best. Offensive Career. Ever.

More CS than SB? Horrible! No wonder he only got 99% of the HOF vote. Not that many sacrifice hits either. Schmuck.

juicer
    derp

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    juicer
    Makes for a weird universe if that's the case. Mark McGwire went on to hit a few over 600 homers, but never ended up playing with Jose Canseco. They were both drafted by Oakland, but Canseco took 7 years to get to the bigs after being drafted, and McGwire left (for San Francisco, if I remember correctly) the year before Canseco made it.

Still, with that many homers, it makes you wonder if the steroids in this universe reduced in effectiveness after this guy retired.

1927- I see it, he was traded. That 2nd half made him Rookie of the Year. For 319 abats he batted greater than 1.000 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by boomboom View Post
    1927- I see it, he was traded. That 2nd half made him Rookie of the Year. For 319 abats he batted greater than 1.000 OPS.
    Wow, I managed to totally miss that. My eye must have glossed over his first half because it didn't have a team associated with it. It definitely makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy824 View Post
    Wow, I managed to totally miss that. My eye must have glossed over his first half because it didn't have a team associated with it. It definitely makes more sense now.
    His Mexican Winter League stats must have been counted since that's 178 games. DOCTORED! PHONY!

That's not what happened. The 1927 line with the dashes is his real life 1927 line...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    That's not what happened. The 1927 line with the dashes is his real life 1927 line...
    i believe this is due to him being drafted ingame after he made his MLB debut in rl

Quote Originally Posted by ewing6 View Post
    i believe this is due to him being drafted ingame after he made his MLB debut in rl
    After checking his card on Baseball-Reference, the numbers match up, and that makes some sense. That's an odd little quirk. Since I wasn't paying attention to the sim (just letting it go and allowing the game to populate a draft class with some fictional players when necessary) I just assumed the dashes meant he was playing for a team that had folded.

After checking his card on Baseball-Reference, the numbers match up, and that makes some sense. That's an odd little quirk. Since I wasn't paying attention to the sim (just letting it go and allowing the game to populate a draft class with some fictional players when necessary) I just assumed the dashes meant he was playing for a team that had folded.
    Teams don't "fold" in Baseball Mogul, unless you delete them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    Teams don't "fold" in Baseball Mogul, unless you delete them yourself.
    Thanks for helping me get my facts straight, then.

I've also seen Ott become the GOAT a couple times when simming a 1901 game.

Thanks for helping me get my facts straight, then.
    No problem. The game will treat the teams like real life with relocation and expansion, unless you change the settings in the League Editor to require your approval first. You can also prevent those things from happening if you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gore21 View Post
    I've also seen Ott become the GOAT a couple times when simming a 1901 game.
    Definitely. Sometimes I enjoy simming a player's career 50+ times or so and comparing the results. It's fun to see a player who burned out IRL turn out to be a star in the game, or vice versa (like A-Rod peaking at 24 and out of the game by 27 in a recent sim I did).