Thread: Offseason rating changes

Offseason rating changes

I just finished season 1 of my franchise, and noticed a few strange things with ratings. I was wondering if someone could explain it...

1. My 32 year old CB, who got hurt last season and was listed to miss 25 weeks due to the injury, was an 88 is season 1, and going into season 2 is now a 67. Do players lose rating points if they get major injuries or is this a bug or what?

2. During free agency, I signed a free agent DT who was rated 83. Now that season 2 is ready to start, he is now rated a 73. Do some players pull an Albert Haynesworth on you or is this some sort of bug as well?

3. I drafted a CB in the 1st round who had a peak of 85. Now that the season is ready to start is peak is now 78. Is it that I just drafted a bust or is there something else wrong?

Thanks for any answers you provide.

Re: Offseason rating changes

1. I've had this happen to veteran players, and I don't think its a bug. It's actually pretty cool how it mirrors real life. At 32 your CB's body is so beat up he probably can't recover as fast as if he were 22. Remember, this is football where one injury can end your career. I had this happen with D.J. Williams of the Broncos. He led my team in tackles for four straight years until he tore his Achilles and plummeted from a 93 to a 65. I had to cut him and he went to Pittsburgh where he languished for three years on the bench before retiring.

2. This one I'm not so sure. I know that I've re-signed players at the end of the season whose ratings fell by the start of the next season, but not for players released into the free agent pool. Although again, it does mirror real life. A lot of the time I'll look at stats over the actual ratings, because I've seen too many players in the low 80's do squat while in their primes.

3. I'm absolutely sure this isn't a bug. The NFL Draft is very hit and miss. You can draft what looks like a can't miss prospect only to get him into camp and realize he ain't worth nothing. You can list all the familiar names (Couch, Akili Smith, Leaf, JaMarcus) all of whom never lived up to their draft potential. This works in reverse too, as I've had many players in the 3rd to 5th rounds blossom into Hall of Famers.

I'm just curious, do you play with Perfect Scouting?

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, I am using Perfect Scouting. I am running a league and I use Perfect Scouting so everyone knows what the players correct overall/peak is.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeItsZoltan View Post
    1. I've had this happen to veteran players, and I don't think its a bug. It's actually pretty cool how it mirrors real life. At 32 your CB's body is so beat up he probably can't recover as fast as if he were 22. Remember, this is football where one injury can end your career. I had this happen with D.J. Williams of the Broncos. He led my team in tackles for four straight years until he tore his Achilles and plummeted from a 93 to a 65. I had to cut him and he went to Pittsburgh where he languished for three years on the bench before retiring.

2. This one I'm not so sure. I know that I've re-signed players at the end of the season whose ratings fell by the start of the next season, but not for players released into the free agent pool. Although again, it does mirror real life. A lot of the time I'll look at stats over the actual ratings, because I've seen too many players in the low 80's do squat while in their primes.

3. I'm absolutely sure this isn't a bug. The NFL Draft is very hit and miss. You can draft what looks like a can't miss prospect only to get him into camp and realize he ain't worth nothing. You can list all the familiar names (Couch, Akili Smith, Leaf, JaMarcus) all of whom never lived up to their draft potential. This works in reverse too, as I've had many players in the 3rd to 5th rounds blossom into Hall of Famers.

I'm just curious, do you play with Perfect Scouting?
    I wanted to talk about your 3rd point. Ive never had a later roundguy blossom which i though was weird, just guys bottom out. I understand the realism factor but what happens if a guy in his prime 26-29 bottoms out between seasons? ive had that happen before too. Its a bit random IMO
    MLB Champz Commish
    Longtime Outahere GM
    Mariners & Braves Fan

GO MARINERS!!!