Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Official "What are you thinking about right now?" (Political Version)

Re: Official "What are you thinking about right now?" (Political Version)

1) Partially true, but they also wish to use their control of the house to simply not fund the healthcare act in any way, strangling any part of it they can. And we all know Repubs will actually use these BS tactics to their full extent.

2) Right, because death panels are just as real as insurance companies terminating coverage of a sick patient, and nationalized/socialized medicine is now just as real as lifetime maximums.

If you really want to be nitpicky you could say my 'things i heard' are just propaganda/hyperbole and non-factual, but the points I bring up on the other side are entirely factual. Extreme examples? Fine. Still, real life example. I bet I can find a lot more lifetime maxes than you can Death Panels.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    a) they know they can't repeal it. its political posturing like the 9/11 bill votes the dems played. BS from our congress but typical in fashion.
    It's what most people want. The CNN poll yesterday showed 50-42 support for repeal. The Quinnipiac poll showed that by 4843, voters want repeal. And Independents want repeal by 54-37. The Gallup poll on the 7th showed 46-40 support for repeal. Republicans will be able to at least say they tried to repeal it, but it'll be important to see what Republicans do after HR2.

Again, large %'s of those respondents are likely not knowledgeable and swayed by scare tactics - i.e. job-killing, death panels, government takeover, nationalized/socialized, etc etc. The voices talking about the actual benefits and true legislation in the bill are unfortunately often drowned out.

And another significant minority oppose the legislation because it doesn't go far enough - stripped of the public option to satisfy the more conservative democrats (who are all now voted out). That's where I would sit, if we actually had knowledgeable leadership instead of people playing obfuscation games while taking money from big healthcare companies.

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

Also a factor is simplistic polling.

This poll shows a more detailed breakdown with individual pieces of the plan. In this reading, only 18% of the public favor full repeal. In other recent polls 80-90% of the public favor most individual items - removing lifetime maxes, increasing dependent coverage window, removing pre-existing conditions, and not letting patients be kicked at a whim.

That's what I really want to see. I want to see republicans repeal the healthcare bill, and then deal with the backlash over the next 5-10 years when insurance companies continue the practices I see everyday that cost people their money, livelihood, and even their lives. If you think the Bush fallout was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Watching C-SPAN. Representative Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut scares the hell out of me. If HR2 passes, I swear she'll probably attack John Boehner and Eric Cantor with her pen or something.

All of these personal stories from both parties (about somebody with cancer, somebody who lost their job, etc.) just kind of get lost in the rush of these two-minute speeches and sounding all the same to me.

Final vote on repeal, 245-189. Four Democrats voted for repeal. No Republicans voted against.

And surprise, the insurance companies win again. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Owens View Post
    Don't sigh, little guy. It's not over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Owens View Post
    The American Gov't: The best money can buy

Discussing healthcare legislation isn't good for my health.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post

2) Right, because death panels are just as real as insurance companies terminating coverage of a sick patient, and nationalized/socialized medicine is now just as real as lifetime maximums.

If you really want to be nitpicky you could say my 'things i heard' are just propaganda/hyperbole and non-factual, but the points I bring up on the other side are entirely factual. Extreme examples? Fine. Still, real life example. I bet I can find a lot more lifetime maxes than you can Death Panels.
    for starters, i didn't say your examples weren't "real" i said they were exaggerations. you make it sound as if everyone everytime gets dropped coverages when they get sick and told they aren't covered, etc. thats totally untrue and equally as rediculous.

the term "death panel" may be ludicrous but its not totally "unreal". Even today we have panels of some sort determining whether or not elderly should get cancer treatments, who gets organ transplants and who doesn't, etc. These are based upon numerous issues but lets face it, when there are limited resources and risks associated, someone is going to make a decision at some point who gets care and who doesn't. They do exist...but are exaggerated in the same manner you admit to exaggerating other aspects of healthcare. These exaggerations only fuel hostility and do nothing to push forward meaningful debate. Thats my point.

you are very opinionated on this topic and appear to be well educated. i'm just offerin some constructive criticism in saying that you appear to be attacking nonsense with nonsense which is not a good way to debate. You claim you want to stop the "fear" but you use "fear" as a method to attack it. I don't quite get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    for starters, i didn't say your examples weren't "real" i said they were exaggerations. you make it sound as if everyone everytime gets dropped coverages when they get sick and told they aren't covered, etc. thats totally untrue and equally as rediculous.
    After working a couple years at [major insurance company], this isn't really true at all either. There were a lot of procedures that can be worthy of being medically necessary not being covered. Some actual treatments that were more cost effective were not covered as well under a lot of the plans I dealt with.

Dropped coverages I didn't deal with in my field, so I can't say person A. got sick and insurance cancelled them, to me though it's not much different than being told you cannot have this procedure done. You pay for insurance and if the doctor is qualified you should be able to get treated.

There was even some downright illegal things going on as well I can't get into.
    I'm an idiot

lern 2 english

Probably shouldn't name who I worked for lol.
    I'm an idiot

lern 2 english

Quote Originally Posted by ragecage View Post
    After working a couple years at [major insurance company], this isn't really true at all either. There were a lot of procedures that can be worthy of being medically necessary not being covered. Some actual treatments that were more cost effective were not covered as well under a lot of the plans I dealt with.

Dropped coverages I didn't deal with in my field, so I can't say person A. got sick and insurance cancelled them, to me though it's not much different than being told you cannot have this procedure done. You pay for insurance and if the doctor is qualified you should be able to get treated.

There was even some downright illegal things going on as well I can't get into.
    i never said that wasn't the case. i said its certainly however not the norm or an everyday everytime occurrence. its not infrequent either....but lets stop the overexaggerating fear mongering from both camps.