Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 111

Thread: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cowcrap Town
    Posts
    6,066

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    I appreciate the request, but I have to decline the offer of induction into your HOF.
    You didn't realize you're already in the HOF of Douchenozzles?
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    I appreciate the request, but I have to decline the offer of induction into your HOF.
    Who cares.
    derp

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by acetoolguy View Post
    Still holding out on Dwight Evans huh?
    As far as the real HOF goes, it's criminal that Jim Rice is in and Evans isn't.
    derp

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    The new players on the 2013 ballot that have made my personal Hall of Fame:

    Craig Biggio, 2B, Houston Astros
    Barry Bonds, LF, San Francisco Giants
    Roger Clemens, SP, Boston Red Sox
    Mike Piazza, C, New York Mets
    Curt Schilling, SP, Philadelphia Phillies
    Sammy Sosa, RF, Chicago Cubs
    The new players on the 2014 ballot that have made my personal Hall of Fame:

    Tom Glavine
    Greg Maddux
    Frank Thomas
    Mike Mussina
    Jeff Kent

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    The new players on the 2014 ballot that have made my personal Hall of Fame:

    Tom Glavine
    Greg Maddux
    Frank Thomas
    Mike Mussina
    Jeff Kent
    The new players on the 2015 ballot that have made my personal Hall of Fame:

    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    John Smoltz
    Gary Sheffield

    Johnson becomes the first player to be "inducted" with an Arizona Diamondbacks cap, and Sheffield the first with a Miami Marlins cap.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    The new players on the 2015 ballot that have made my personal Hall of Fame:

    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    John Smoltz
    Gary Sheffield

    Johnson becomes the first player to be "inducted" with an Arizona Diamondbacks cap, and Sheffield the first with a Miami Marlins cap.
    The only way Sheffield belongs in the HOF is if he buys a ticket.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleWie View Post
    The only way Sheffield belongs in the HOF is if he buys a ticket.
    140 OPS+ in nearly 11,000 PA is Hall-worthy by any definition. The only argument against him is PEDs.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    140 OPS+ in nearly 11,000 PA is Hall-worthy by any definition. The only argument against him is PEDs.
    He has admitted to intentionally making errors because he wanted out of Milwaukee. There should be no place in the HOF for a player who tries to make his team lose on purpose. PED's I can forgive at least he is doing it to put up better numbers which in turn helps the team.

    I don't see how a guy who deliberately sabotaged his own team can be allowed on the HOF.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    I wouldn't let some idiotic actions someone took in their late teens/early 20s invalidate the other 20ish years of their career.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I wouldn't let some idiotic actions someone took in their late teens/early 20s invalidate the other 20ish years of their career.
    I disagree. But it doesn't matter anyway because with the intentionally sabotaging of games, admitted PED use, racist comments and just being a douche in general his whole career, it's safe to say he'll never get in. I'll shed no tears for him.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleWie View Post
    I disagree. But it doesn't matter anyway because with the intentionally sabotaging of games, admitted PED use, racist comments and just being a douche in general his whole career, it's safe to say he'll never get in. I'll shed no tears for him.
    Man, if racist comments and being a douche actually were disqualifiers for the HoF, who would be left?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Man, if racist comments and being a douche actually were disqualifiers for the HoF, who would be left?
    We all know the reason he won't get in is PED's. But even with out the PED's he would have a long wait to get in. There is a reason he played for so many teams. He wasn't just your run of the mill douche he is probably the biggest douche to play in MLB in decades. Even bigger than Bonds or Clemens. From racist comments about Jewish people & Latinos to intentionally committing errors to ripping teammates this guy has done it all. I get there were a lot of racist douche bags voted in in the early days but for modern era douches, he is one of a kind.

    Sheffield is lucky he played the majority of his career before social media and the 24 hour news cycle. Guaranteed he would have been fined and suspended several times over in today's MLB.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, MO (SEMO)
    Posts
    16,920

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    140 OPS+ in nearly 11,000 PA is Hall-worthy by any definition. The only argument against him is PEDs.
    and....his defense.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    and....his defense.
    A flaw in his game is not an argument against his Hall worthiness.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Man, if racist comments and being a douche actually were disqualifiers for the HoF, who would be left?
    They can be disqualifiers:

    From the BBWAA voting criteria:

    Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.
    A voter can certainly refuse to vote for said player because of his "doucheness"

    A flaw in his game is not an argument against his Hall worthiness.
    Sure it is, if the flaw was significant enough.

    All this aside...Sheffield is most certainly a HOFer based solely on his play. At his best, he was one of the best players I've ever seen play the game. He was also one of the biggest "douches" to play the game so I wouldn't hold it against a writer if they didn't vote for him on that accord. Surely there may be bigger jackasses in the HOF, but that shouldn't be the gauge for current voters to cast votes by.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •