Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111

Thread: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    not to be argumentative here how can you ignore career value when evaluating a career? dude has a career WAR of 65.3 which puts him between Andrew Jones at 59.3 and Jim Edmonds at 68.3. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't you say in another thread you thought both those guys should make the hall?
    I never said I ignore career value, but neither do I ignore peak or prime value. I don't rank players simply by their total career WAR.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    5,237

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I never said I ignore career value, but neither do I ignore peak or prime value. I don't rank players simply by their total career WAR.
    i never said that you said that, i feel that was what you were doing by proxy tho. what is wrong with a player providing solid all around consistent value? why isnt that as valuable as a guy with similar WAR but higher peaks and valleys? 60 plus WAR over early equally long careers, seems to me if one is hall worthy the other has to be too...






    /
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Republic of Georgia
    Posts
    12,797

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    i never said that you said that, i feel that was what you were doing by proxy tho. what is wrong with a player providing solid all around consistent value? why isnt that as valuable as a guy with similar WAR but higher peaks and valleys? 60 plus WAR over early equally long careers, seems to me if one is hall worthy the other has to be too...
    Sort of agree...

    If Player A has 10 years and 60 WAR with 30 WAR coming in 3 of the years and
    Player B has 10 years and 60 WAR with 6 WAR per year

    I don't know why you'd say that Player A was better because he had a higher peak, Player B was better in more years.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Republic of Georgia
    Posts
    12,797

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    In this specific case though:

    Lofton: 9234 PA, 65.3 bWAR, 65.1 fWAR = 4.24 bWAR / 600 PA, 4.23 fWAR / 600PA
    Jones: 8173 PA, 59.9 bWAR, 70.5 fWAR = 4.40 bWAR / 600 PA, 5.18 fWAR / 600PA
    Edmonds: 7980 PA, 68.3, bWAR, 68.1 fWAR = 5.14 bWAR / 600 PA, 5.12 fWAR / 600PA

    Edmonds was clearly more productive than Lofton per PA (as a proxy for playing time)
    Jones is a bit more interesting as much of his value came from defense, but still was probably more productive than Lofton per PA



    You can see the Lofton's graph is below Edmonds' and Jones' for the highest ten years.

    Lofton only gains on them in the lesser years and by playing more years

    or

    Lofton was better than Edmonds in 5 years but Edmonds was better than Lofton in 9 years

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    i never said that you said that, i feel that was what you were doing by proxy tho. what is wrong with a player providing solid all around consistent value? why isnt that as valuable as a guy with similar WAR but higher peaks and valleys? 60 plus WAR over early equally long careers, seems to me if one is hall worthy the other has to be too...
    Higher peaks are more valuable because they do more towards the team's goal. Basically, one player providing 7 WAR is more valuable than two players that each provide 3.5 WAR, because the value is concentrated in one player.

    Plus, there is an element of greatness to the Hall. A player that provides 3 WAR a season over 20 years was never a great player. He was just consistently above average. A player with the same 60 career WAR but 5 seasons above 7 WAR and the 25 other WAR spread out over 10 years was clearly a great player for an extended period of time, an MVP candidate for a five year stretch. I don't know how one can conclude that those players are equivalent. The second player was clearly better.

    Filihok displayed the specific case of Lofton/Edmonds/Jones well. For their top 10 years, Edmonds and Jones were 1-2 wins better each year than Lofton's top 10 years. Playing a few extra years and adding a couple WAR per year is good, but adds little to a Hall of Fame case in my opinion. Edmonds and Jones were both clearly better players than Lofton, and not just for a year or two.

    Quote Originally Posted by filihok
    Sort of agree...

    If Player A has 10 years and 60 WAR with 30 WAR coming in 3 of the years and
    Player B has 10 years and 60 WAR with 6 WAR per year

    I don't know why you'd say that Player A was better because he had a higher peak, Player B was better in more years.
    In that instance, both players would make my Hall, but as for how I'd rank them, I'm not sure. 3 all-time great seasons and 7 roughly All-Star caliber seasons of about 4.3 WAR, or 10 All-Star caliber seasons of 6 WAR that are not quite MVP-candidate years?

    I suppose it would depend on contextual things...like did Player B, despite not posting an "MVP level 7 WAR season:", lead his league in WAR a few times?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    5,237

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Higher peaks are more valuable because they do more towards the team's goal. Basically, one player providing 7 WAR is more valuable than two players that each provide 3.5 WAR, because the value is concentrated in one player.

    Plus, there is an element of greatness to the Hall. A player that provides 3 WAR a season over 20 years was never a great player. He was just consistently above average. A player with the same 60 career WAR but 5 seasons above 7 WAR and the 25 other WAR spread out over 10 years was clearly a great player for an extended period of time, an MVP candidate for a five year stretch. I don't know how one can conclude that those players are equivalent. The second player was clearly better.

    Filihok displayed the specific case of Lofton/Edmonds/Jones well. For their top 10 years, Edmonds and Jones were 1-2 wins better each year than Lofton's top 10 years. Playing a few extra years and adding a couple WAR per year is good, but adds little to a Hall of Fame case in my opinion. Edmonds and Jones were both clearly better players than Lofton, and not just for a year or two.


    In that instance, both players would make my Hall, but as for how I'd rank them, I'm not sure. 3 all-time great seasons and 7 roughly All-Star caliber seasons of about 4.3 WAR, or 10 All-Star caliber seasons of 6 WAR that are not quite MVP-candidate years?

    I suppose it would depend on contextual things...like did Player B, despite not posting an "MVP level 7 WAR season:", lead his league in WAR a few times?
    obviously for a given season a higher WAR per player is better. however we are talking about career value per player over nearly equal career lengths. from a team perspective all 3 players provided me exactly the same numbers of wins (value) in the same time span, so from that perspective i still won just as many games in that time frame as I would have regardless of which three I chose for that time span, therefore one was no more valuable than another to my team over time. For me the hall should evaluate a players career, anyone can be good for a few short seasons - are we gonna start putting the Ron kittles of the world in the hall because of a couple of good seasons while ignoring guys that are steady producers? Greatness is sometimes defined as prolonged goodness.
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    obviously for a given season a higher WAR per player is better. however we are talking about career value per player over nearly equal career lengths.
    I agree that they have similar overall career value. Again, though, I am not ranking players based solely on overall career value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3
    from a team perspective all 3 players provided me exactly the same numbers of wins (value) in the same time span, so from that perspective i still won just as many games in that time frame as I would have regardless of which three I chose for that time span, therefore one was no more valuable than another to my team over time.
    Concentrated value is more valuable towards the goal of winning a pennant. A player who provides 1 WAR each year for seven seasons didn't provide is team equal value to a player who had one 7 WAR season...at least not when it comes towards the goal of winning a pennant. That one 7 WAR season was 7 wins towards winning that season's pennant, all provided by one player - extremely valuable and hard to replace. A single WAR over 7 seasons is one win provided towards winning 7 different pennants, BUT that one WAR each year is much easier to replace than an MVP caliber season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3
    For me the hall should evaluate a players career
    It should, but peak and prime are part of a player's career.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3
    , anyone can be good for a few short seasons - are we gonna start putting the Ron kittles of the world in the hall because of a couple of good seasons while ignoring guys that are steady producers? Greatness is sometimes defined as prolonged goodness.
    I don't know what Ron Kittle has to do with this conversation, he didn't even have a peak to speak of. His best season was league average.

    I'm not arguing for pure peak value. If I was, Al Rosen would be in my Hall. But neither do I believe in ranking players strictly by career value. My rankings are a mix of a variety of factors - overall career value, peak value, prime value, etc.

    According to what you're saying, Sandy Koufax would be a borderline Hall of Famer who was just as good as Chuck Finley, Bret Saberhagen and Dave Stieb. Sorry, but I can't buy that line of thinking. Koufax may have had his value concentrated in 5-6 year period, but he was the top pitcher in the game for that period, while a guy like Chuck Finley, good for for 11-12 years, was rarely ever in that conversation. Despite providing overall career value similar to Koufax, Finley isn't close to Koufax when it comes to a Hall of Fame conversation.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cowcrap Town
    Posts
    6,066

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    I think there is a new pitcher to consider.

    Soon, the forgotten pitcher had a volunteer army. Gortonís network unearthed an 18-inning, 31-strikeout game, a 27-strikeout game and four 19-strikeout outings. But a bigger world awaited Gorton when his group began unearthing Donaldsonís career with the All-Nations team, which was the forerunner to what became Negro League baseballís most prestigious club.
    Theres also footage here, and his windup does look like a mirror Bob Gibson.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, MO (SEMO)
    Posts
    16,920

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    I am sad to not see Sidd Finch on here

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    None of the new players on the 2012 ballot made my personal Hall of Fame.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    3

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    I am glad you put Martinez in. Just looking at his Baseball Reference Page, it is amazing how good of a hitter he was. I wish I saw more games because he is one of those once in a generation type of player when it comes to talent vs. heart. Pete Rose comes to mind as another. Ichiro once said there was no player who prepared more for games than Edgar. Crazy that he was the best hitter on the Mariners during the nintes not Griffey (allthou griffey offered more value because of defense)

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    None of the new players on the 2012 ballot made my personal Hall of Fame.
    The new players on the 2013 ballot that have made my personal Hall of Fame:

    Craig Biggio, 2B, Houston Astros
    Barry Bonds, LF, San Francisco Giants
    Roger Clemens, SP, Boston Red Sox
    Mike Piazza, C, New York Mets
    Curt Schilling, SP, Philadelphia Phillies
    Sammy Sosa, RF, Chicago Cubs

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Buzzards Bay
    Posts
    1,576

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Still holding out on Dwight Evans huh?


    ďAnti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'Ē
    ― Isaac Asimov

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by acetoolguy View Post
    Still holding out on Dwight Evans huh?
    I haven't gone back and reassessed any former players. As I did say previously, Evans was right on the cusp when I originally made this.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

    I appreciate the request, but I have to decline the offer of induction into your HOF.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •