Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

Re: HoustonGM's Personal Hall of Fame

I'm guessing that you didn't include retired players who haven't been out for six years yet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by scooterbracy View Post
    Again, awesome stuff...thanks for the answers...one final question. In general, did the magic numbers (3000 hits, 300 wins, etc) hold any value in the individual player rankings or with selecting your hall? As an example, I'm guessing Harold Baines isn't all that close to making your (or any other) Hall...but had he reached 3000 hits (which possbily would have led to 400 home runs); would that have changed his placement much (outside of whatever value those 134 hits and 16 home runs provided)?
    I'm pretty sure HGM's answer to the Baines query will be: not a snowball's chance in hell.
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    I'm guessing that you didn't include retired players who haven't been out for six years yet, right?
    Yes. Otherwise Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds among others would be there.
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

Quote Originally Posted by scooterbracy View Post
    Again, awesome stuff...thanks for the answers...one final question. In general, did the magic numbers (3000 hits, 300 wins, etc) hold any value in the individual player rankings or with selecting your hall? As an example, I'm guessing Harold Baines isn't all that close to making your (or any other) Hall...but had he reached 3000 hits (which possbily would have led to 400 home runs); would that have changed his placement much (outside of whatever value those 134 hits and 16 home runs provided)?
    Nope. I'm only interested in value. Round number milestones mean nothing to me. You'll notice that Lou Brock, with 3,000 hits, isn't in, and a 300 game winner, Early Wynn, isn't either (along with Mickey Welch), though Wynn I could be convinced on. Brock isn't close. Baines, too, wouldn't be close even with 3,000 hits.

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    Correct. This is what my Hall of Fame looks like as of today, so that it can be directly compared to how the real life Hall looks today. Assuming I don't forget, I will, each year, add to this list as players hit the ballot in real life.

After some more consideration, I've bumped Early Wynn up a few spots in my rankings and added him to my Hall.

no Kenny Lofton?

He had no real peak, but a pretty impressive career WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    After some more consideration, I've bumped Early Wynn up a few spots in my rankings and added him to my Hall.
    Why? He seems more like Jack Morris and Dennis Martinez than a hall of famer

Michigan, the textbook definition of hell froze over.

Tigers graciously thank you for enshrining both Sweet Lou and the Tramm. Make sure you put their placks right next to each other.

You didn't add Cool Papa Bell? Seemed like one of the Negro Leaguers I'd add.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercaptain254 View Post
    Tigers graciously thank you for enshrining both Sweet Lou and the Tramm. Make sure you put their placks right next to each other.

So long as they both get in before Jack (I'm overhyped) Morris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    no Kenny Lofton?

He had no real peak, but a pretty impressive career WAR.
    Not enough peak for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Why? He seems more like Jack Morris and Dennis Martinez than a hall of famer
    Wynn has 500+ more innings than both of them at a slightly higher level of performance. Plus, he has multiple years in which he has a legitimate argument as being the best pitcher in his league (1951, 1954, 1955, 1956). Martinez and Morris have none like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercaptain254 View Post
    I mostly deferred to the Hall of Merit on the Negro Leaguers, since they have done extensive research on them. While they did select Bell to the HoM, they ranked him last among center fielders, and I left off a few Negro Leaguers that they ranked very low in their positional rankings.

Olerud a borderline player?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Owens View Post
    Olerud a borderline player?
    http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthr...02#post1537702

Bah, Olerud was better than Terry and Giambi.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Owens View Post
    Bah, Olerud was better than Terry and Giambi.
    I already replied to this in the other thread. Career-value wise, they're all very close (56.8 Olerud, 55.4 Terry, 52.8 Giambi, according to BB-ref WAR). And here's the top 6 seasons for each player:

8.2, 8.1, 5.3, 5.3, 5.2, 5.1 (Olerud, 37.2)
    7.9, 7.6, 6.8, 6.2, 5.3, 5.0 (Terry, 38.8)
    10.3, 8.7, 7.3, 6.9, 4.6, 4.3 (Giambi, 41.2)

It's close. I like the better peak of Giambi, and the greater consistency of Terry, so I ranked them ahead of Olerud. They're all really close...close enough that I think you can't claim with certainty that any of the three were "better" than any of the other two. It's a matter of taste in career value, peak value, and consistency at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Not enough peak for me.
    not to be argumentative here how can you ignore career value when evaluating a career? dude has a career WAR of 65.3 which puts him between Andrew Jones at 59.3 and Jim Edmonds at 68.3. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't you say in another thread you thought both those guys should make the hall?
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .