Thread: Uggla extension.

Uggla extension.

The Braves are closing in on a five-year extension worth $60-61MM with Dan Uggla, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (on Twitter). Braves GM Frank Wren and agent Terry Bross were planning to discuss an extension earlier in the month. Uggla rejected a four-year, $48MM deal from the Marlins before the Braves acquired him in a November trade.

Does anyone think this might be a mistake? I mean how long is it going to take upper management to realize that this guy is pretty dreadful as a defensive second baseman? Secondly, don't you think he'll only be productive for three more years? I mean, he's probably going to level out with that batting average, and he strikes out at a maddening rate. Maybe I'm wrong and Jason Heyward will protect his bat in the lineup in a couple of years (or maybe vice versa) and it'll work out in a better hitters ballpark with the winning attitude the Braves permeate ... but I'm skeptical for some reason.

11/12 mil a year too much? Or just right?

Re: Uggla extension.

Difficult to say. He's been a solid player for most of his career (hitting-wise at least), but he's 31 next year and he could start declining.

seems like a solid deal, judging by WAR it seems he been a bit of a roller coaster posting like 4.5, 3, 5 his last 3 years ---

even at 3 WAR it puts the number about right, i think FG has been saying 1 WAR is like $4.5M; so theres no reason to think he wont be a 3-4 WAR player and even at 31, there no reason to expect a signifcant decline over the next 3-4 years,

Quote Originally Posted by gRYFYN1 View Post
    seems like a solid deal, judging by WAR it seems he been a bit of a roller coaster posting like 4.5, 3, 5 his last 3 years ---

even at 3 WAR it puts the number about right, i think FG has been saying 1 WAR is like $4.5M; so theres no reason to think he wont be a 3-4 WAR player and even at 31, there no reason to expect a signifcant decline over the next 3-4 years,
    I actually think there's a lot of reason to expect a significant decline over the next few years. He's got old people skills, he's unathletic, he already can't really play 2nd and if his defense gets any worse he has to move to first which will kill his WAR.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

Quote Originally Posted by haveacigar View Post
    I actually think there's a lot of reason to expect a significant decline over the next few years. He's got old people skills, he's unathletic, he already can't really play 2nd and if his defense gets any worse he has to move to first which will kill his WAR.
    this. and he's not gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    this. and he's not gritty.
    I would actually expect him to get more gritty as time goes on.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

Quote Originally Posted by haveacigar View Post
    Also, second basemen, historically, seem to not age well, with a lot of them experiencing deep drop offs around 32/33.

Meanwhile David Eckstein STILL is jobless.

5/62 made official today

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    Meanwhile David Eckstein STILL is jobless.
    And this is STILL true.

I'd be willing to bet he won't be a second baseman much longer.
    derp

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this extension. Hopefully he won't decline too much, and someone on MLBTR said he had a 1.4 UZR away from his home stadium, so maybe the fact that will hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this extension. Hopefully he won't decline too much, and someone on MLBTR said he had a 1.4 UZR away from his home stadium, so maybe the fact that will hold up.
    UZR over one season isn't very reliable, let alone cutting that season in half.