Thread: Second Life

Second Life

I have read a 'tiny bit' about the game, seems like it's another Sims game basically, has anyone ever played it? Do you like it?

Re: Second Life

It's basically a 3D representation of a chat room where everything in the game world is created by the users. There's not much to do other than create your avatar, explore the world, chat with other avatars, work at a virtual job to earn virtual money to go virtual shopping for more stuff for your avatar, and design stuff to sell to other avatars. In short, its target audience is Martha Stewart.

Yeah - I love computer games, the nerdier the better - but anything that takes hours of clicking to grow/earn in some linked social environment, and either costs money or demands your constant attention is a big NO in my book. Farmville, Second Life, and most MMORPGs are on that list.

The beginning of Hot Tub Time Machine shows the nerdy pale kid in the basement, playing Second Life where he's a mean guy in jail doing push-ups. It comes down to a huge time waster, shopping/outfits/hairdos, and the creators owning everything - meaning even if you buy all kinds of stuff (like a private in-game island) they can take it away on a whim.

Companies are trying to get in on it by having a presence in second life - if your target market has even less of a life than me, then it's worth a bit of time and effort. Otherwise, wait for the next Big Thing.

Michigan, the textbook definition of hell froze over.

If you set up a buisness in game, the only difference between it and any other MMORPG is that you can convert your fake money to real money, at a like insane amount of game dollars to real dollar. I mean convert it legally, WOW people.