Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Score Parser II - The Sequel

The Box Score Parser II - The Sequel

I am working on a brand new version of the Box Score Parser, written in C#. I am grabbing every possible piece of information available to me in the text box scores. It is still a bit from being finished (the piece that gathers data is done, but the interface has not been written), but it is time to open the discussion:

Given what is available in the box scores (text), what information would you want to see, and how would you want it displayed? Assume anything is possible - I'll let you know if it is not. I have lots of possibilities in my head, but I want to see what people want to have. Assume we have a clean slate - like the current Box Score Parser does not exist. What would you want to see, and what would you want to be able to do with it?

I already have added the ability to search subdirectories of a given main directory, so that more box scores can be found. I am also thinking of a display with multiple tabs - maybe the team summary on the first tab, followed by player details...or maybe hitting and pitching data on separate tabs...or maybe hitting streaks and such on a separate tab.

I cannot promise anything, but I am always up for a challenge, as most of you know by now.

(By the way, this is why I have not been posting in my dynasty...I have been learning C# from the ground up, using the BSP as my learning project)

The first version of the Box Score Parser II is hereby released! I am hoping that a lot of people explore this and see what it can do, and come up with ideas for what can be done now that all of the data is in a database and is persistent. I have not yet incorporated OPS+ or ERA+ or WAR or RC, but I think all of that is possible.

The zip file below consists of two files - setup.exe and BoxScoreParser.msi. Extract them both to a folder of your choice, and then run the setup.exe. Note: You must remove any earlier versions of the Parser that you got from this thread, using Add/Remove Programs, before installing this one. I hope in the future to be able to bypass that step, but I have not figured out how just yet.

Here it is!

EDIT: I have replaced this file with one that seems to work with Windows 7 (and should be more stable). This version also includes some enhancements in progress, like giving the season series between two teams and listing team streaks. These features are not complete, I don't think, but I would appreciate feedback on them.

BSPNew.zip

I will try to post some screenshots to give an idea of what can be done with this, but it can really do a lot.
    Last edited by Mizerak; 03-24-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Added new version that works with Win7

Thumbs up Re: The Box Score Parser II - The Sequel

That is wonderful news! I've very excited to see what you come up with.

Here's my wishlist, including how I use the current BSP:

I like using the BSP for things I can't get in the regular player cards in Baseball Mogul. That means I like being able to see:

- How my team does against other teams (or how other teams and players do against my guys)

- Total numbers for guys while on my team (i.e., career numbers on my team)

- Total numbers for position X (has third base been a problem this year/the last three years?)

- Total contributions from players (how much offense has player X given to me over the last year, compared to how much offense player Y has in the three months I've had him? I use the RC/27 sort to check this currently, but would like to see whole RC numbers - BM has them, but they aren't in the sortable stats so you can only see leaders or the rate stat given in the lineup dialog)

Now, as for things the BSP doesn't have, I would love a version of OPS+ and ERA+; even if it doesn't make park adjustments. Just the ability to see how my first baseman stacks up against the league average OPS would be very nice. The ability to see this by position would be cool as well. How does my team performance at second base stack up against a league average second baseman?

I like the current display, but I would probably value speed over presentation. If speed wasn't a problem, I'd love the option to have tabs for different splits if I'm looking at a player (month-by-month, home-away, and combinations of those). I also love the ability that baseball-reference gives you to highlight several seasons and see a pop-up with the totals from those seasons. I don't know how reasonable that is.

Thanks for doing this, Miz! Your apps really add to my BM experience. I've got a lot of respect for all the work you put into it.

Re: The Box Score Parser II - The Sequel

I'm giddy with excitement. I'll get a nice big wish list up at some point this weekend.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

Thx miz I will try to use this in my dynasty.

btw I love my wrestling and my favourite wresteler is the miz and his favourite quote is

"I am the Miz and I am AWESOOOOOOOOME!
    I can only think of one person older than Baseball it's self, Jamie Moyer.

An overview of the batting orders and defensive alignments used throughout the season. Include the table showing the lineup each game, the amount of games started and/or played at each position and spot in the order, as well as the most commonly used lineups. As well as stats for each player at each position/spot in the lineup.

Streaks like before for individual teams, divisions, leagues and throughout the entire major leagues.

Can WAR be calculated?

League/Team leaders, possibly split into position(s).

That's all I've got atm. I'll probably think of more and post them later.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

Oh, I just remembered one more thing that would be useful. It would be nice to be able to look at one month's stats over several years. How has player X performed in the month of April for the last three years? Etc. This would also be nice for seeing just the regular season stats and not have to include postseason if I want to look at multiple years.

Cool Early Screenshots

Wow, you guys have come up with some interesting stuff! The good news is that the way I am coding it is a two-step process that should work pretty well.

Step 1: The user enters data (date range, team(s), directory for files) for what I call the entire dataset. This is the full set of data that can then be parsed in various ways:

Name:  DataSetEntry.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  54.2 KB

After the dataset has been produced, you get the following message:

Name:  DatasetCollected.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  13.4 KB

Step 2: Enter in the parameters for the data you want to see right now. This data must be a subset of the dataset that was just gathered.

Name:  GenerateParameters.jpg
Views: 1975
Size:  64.0 KB

The idea is that the left-hand side will populate with team(s) and players that you can click on to see their "cards", i.e. the team "card" will show the team data sorted as desired, and the player "cards" will show the individual data for the players.

Now, the first step may take longer, but the second step should be much faster, and should enable you to quickly see different team data within the dataset that was collected. The team dropdowns have an "ALL" selection that can show all teams.

Re: Early Screenshots

I like the "Look in subdirectories" option.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

Wow, that looks fantastic!

Quick question: would it be possible to add an "all opponents" to the drop down? Or possibly a way to select multiple opponents and sort by team or player?

Quote Originally Posted by Borker View Post
    Wow, that looks fantastic!

Quick question: would it be possible to add an "all opponents" to the drop down? Or possibly a way to select multiple opponents and sort by team or player?
    I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I am guessing that you would want to see your team's (in this case Boston's) stats against each other team individually? So there would be a "vs NYY" card and a "vs BAL" card and such?

I had not thought to do that, but IF my original concept works (keep in mind, I have only just started coding in C#), it should be expandable to doing something like that, yes. It is not in the current design, but I will keep it in mind, as I know that kind of data could be useful.

Yes, but also, how my opponents did against me. So, if I'm Boston, it would be nice to have those cards for NYY, BAL, TBR, etc. I can do this team by team in the current version of the BSP by putting in the Yankees as the team I want data for, and then seeing how they performed against Boston, but it takes a little while. What I like to do is if (for example) I made it into the playoffs, see how I've performed that season against the other playoff teams, and how they've done against me. Or perhaps see who's been hitting me hard in the AL East.

So, like you said, a vs NYY, vs BAL card. But also NYY vs Me, BAL vs me cards as well.

Anyway, just another wish list item. It sounds really, really cool what you have planned so far. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Getting really excited about this now. It seems weird, since I have not yet coded the part of the program that calculates and displays the "cards"...but I have been making significant progress. Below is a screenshot of what the user will see after selecting the date range, the team, and whatever split (Home/Away, Position, Batting Slot) the user wants to see for team data.

My idea is that the "Player Cards" will contain Home/Away, Position, and Batting Slot (for batters only, of course) data, along with personal streaks and such. The "Team Data" will show all batters or pitchers together, split by whatever the user has chosen and sorted by the field chosen as well.

I am not sure where I will put the Team Streaks (like there is in the BSP now)...streak data may be on the wish list for the moment. Depends on when I want to release this to the public .

As you can see, there is a section to see data against all opponents faced during the date range, and also their data against you. If I can do one, I should be able to do the other.

Name:  TreeView1.jpg
Views: 1846
Size:  101.7 KB

Wow, that looks really good, Miz!

Thanks for the feedback! The more work I do on this, of course, the more work I see needs to be done. I need to remember that the original BSP took 12 major versions to get where it is now.

There are many cool things that I coded in the last few days. The batting stats are just about in place (just have to work on the calculated stats like OBP, wOBA, etc).

One of the coolest things is that the stats change IMMEDIATELY when you change the splits (by clicking on the split in the left-hand menu) or change the sort (at the top of the window in the stats screen):

Name:  BattingStatsCIN.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  109.9 KB

You can also instantaneously see the batting (for now) stats of any team in the gameset AGAINST the chosen team (I need to change the display in the header to be more clear, but the stats are right):

Name:  LADvsCINBatting.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  101.6 KB

The major issue with this version of the Parser is that it takes a very long time to do the initial load of data, especially if you gather data for all teams instead of just one. One possibility is to allow for the saving of data into an attached database. Then you can add only new files to the database. Another idea is to allow the application to POLL the box score directory and parse any new files that it finds as it finds them, which would allow all of the data to be available shortly after exporting the box scores from Baseball Mogul.

Thoughts? Feedback? Additional ideas for stats?

NOTE for those who have been looking for it: If we find a way to load the data in a time-efficient manner, I could see calculation of league-wide stats (OPS+, ERA+, etc) being a possibility.

Progress Report

I have finished the team data for batting and pitching, for the selected team and for other teams AGAINST the selected team.
    I have made it so that changes to the selected team will change the menu on the left automatically, and changes to the sorts will take effect immediately.
    For the selected team, I have all stats sortable by Home/Road, Position, and Batting Slot.
    I have added Average Game Score as a column in both Batting and Pitching. This sort of incorporates the Game Score App into the Parser.

To Do list:

1. Add "Player Cards", showing overall stats, position-specific stats, and batting order stats for the selected player.
    2. Add team streak data and player streak data.
    3. Add team stats against selected opponents.

Possible Next Version list (some of these may go into the current version, depending on when I release it):

1. Allow for "polling" to add data to current gameset as files are added to directory.
    2. Allow saving of data in a database so that it can be called up later without loading it again, only loading the new files in the directory.
    3. Calculate league-wide leaders and league-wide stats.

Feedback/thoughts appreciated. For instance, should I bother releasing a version of this without the ability to save data in between uses of the app? If I release before then, the app will be very good for analysis of a lot of data for a given season, but will not be very good for analysis of data after each series, as you would have to reload all of the data every time.

That being said, if you load data for a single team as you do now with the current parser, the time needed to load the data is not prohibitive, but can still take a few minutes. Once the data is loaded, showing the data in many different formats is instantaneous.