Thread: Starting Date

Starting Date

I continue to have a problem with the starting date of a new dynasty. April 1 is just wrong, as far as I'm concerned. Let me first state that I recognize that there are many other areas in which the game could use a little improvement, as others have pointed out. I'm all in favor of many of the other suggestions as well.

When I begin a new game I do not want to assume control of the team on opening day. Say that I want to take over the Yankees starting in the 1991 season, to see how long it takes me to build a last place team (yeah, thats right, dead last and the worst team in the AL in 1990) into a champion. I want to assume control of this team at the end of the 1990 season, preferably, the day after the regular season ends, or at least the day that the postseason ends.

Obviously, I want the right to negotiate contracts, release players, and maybe sign some free agents for the following year. Now, all this is already done for me, and I frequently don't like what the teams did in real life. I want these options. Yes, I know that I can make a series of pre-opening day trades on April 1, and thats exactly what I do, but a big part of being the GM/owner is missing.

Seems to me that it shouldn't be all that difficult to change the starting date for a new game. I should add that I play only historical games, starting a new game somewhere between 1930 and 1980. I dont see a downside to changing the starting date, although I realize there may be one.

The reason I would prefer a start day immediately after the regular season ends is because I have always had the desire to go back and replay some of the great World Series of the past, with the actual players that were on the WS teams. Maybe I'm the only one who longs for this feature, I dont know.

If I couldn't get a start date after the regular season, then I would gladly take a new game beginning immediately after the WS ends, for the reasons stated above. I would actually rather have the option of one or the other.

I expect that there is maybe a 1% chance that this will be changed. Thats Ok, the game is still good. This change would make it that much better, at least to me.

PS-The historical schedules still need a little work too. Thanks.

Re: Starting Date

The issue I would have as a fellow historical player is that more often then not when I start as a team in a particular year I want that team. I understand your desire, and I think that perhaps moving the start date prior to spring training would make some sense, though I realize that wouldn't answer your issue. I guess while I can see the value of your idea. I think that what I play the game for works better with the later start date.

You can always start the season prior and sim until the end of the season. To play 1990 you can start in 1989, for example.

It's not perfect, of course, since it changes history.

I agree with your suggestion and am adding it to the suggestions thread in my sig

It might even make sense to allow a choice of starting dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Logan View Post
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Logan View Post
    Thirded.
    ]

I've also found that the arbitrary start date wreaks havoc on normal getaway days. Not that it really matters, but generally, getaway days are Mondays and Thursdays, and it hardly ever works out that way in Mogul.
    derp

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I've also found that the arbitrary start date wreaks havoc on normal getaway days. Not that it really matters, but generally, getaway days are Mondays and Thursdays, and it hardly ever works out that way in Mogul.
    That's a different issue: first day of the season. This thread, despite the misleading title, is about what day you take control of a team when you start a new dynasty.