Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Everyone has a price tag!

Everyone has a price tag!

I really get tired of proposing a trade and having the AI tell me I'm an idiot. I'm also tired of the AI telling me that it can't build an acceptable trade for the player. Everyone has a price tag!!

I tried this as an example. As the Phillies, I offered the Giants: Halladay, Utley, and top prospect Domonic Brown for Lincecum. I was told: You've got a lot of nerve to think I would accept that offer. Really?!?!? That's just dumb. I realize Lincecum is great and the Giants would hate to lose him, but how do they not make that trade in half of a second?

If I was playing as the Phillies, I would never really offer that deal, I just tried it to see how it would turn out.

The same thing almost always happens when I try to trade for most star players. I realize they are stars, but at some point, I don't see how a team can keep saying no.

Also, as the Cardinals, I just tried trading Pujols to Washington for Ryan Zimmerman and Drew Storen and was told no. What?!?!?

Re: Everyone has a price tag!

Quote Originally Posted by aplviper View Post
    I really get tired of proposing a trade and having the AI tell me I'm an idiot. I'm also tired of the AI telling me that it can't build an acceptable trade for the player. Everyone has a price tag!!

I tried this as an example. As the Phillies, I offered the Giants: Halladay, Utley, and top prospect Domonic Brown for Lincecum. I was told: You've got a lot of nerve to think I would accept that offer. Really?!?!? That's just dumb. I realize Lincecum is great and the Giants would hate to lose him, but how do they not make that trade in half of a second?

If I was playing as the Phillies, I would never really offer that deal, I just tried it to see how it would turn out.

The same thing almost always happens when I try to trade for most star players. I realize they are stars, but at some point, I don't see how a team can keep saying no.

Also, as the Cardinals, I just tried trading Pujols to Washington for Ryan Zimmerman and Drew Storen and was told no. What?!?!?
    You have to remember that salary does play a role.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

In the previously mentioned Phillies-Giants trade, I balanced salaries by also asking the Giants for Rowand and F. Sanchez, who according to the game are both terrible, and was still laughed at by the AI.

Use the "Balance Cash" button to avoid getting snide comments.

I never seem to have enough cash available to satisfy them. I gave myself a ton of cash to see what it would take, and the Halladay/Utley/Brown for Lincecum/Rowand/F. Sanchez trade would cost me an additional $32 million!

as good as Halladay and Utley are, I wouldn't trade Lincecum just because he is a lot younger

Try the other way around:

Be the Giants and offer Lincecum in exchange for Halladay, Utley and Brown.

When I try it as the Giants, the Phillies want Lincecum plus 6 other players for Halladay/Utley/Brown.

What difficulty level do you have the trade set to?

Everything is set to Mogul. Maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by aplviper View Post
    Everything is set to Mogul. Maybe that's why.
    While having the difficulty set to "Mogul" should affect trades, it shouldn't be handcuffing the AI from making trades that would help their team, which it sounds like is happening here. Just another sign that the trading "AI" still needs improvement but I think we knew that already.

Frankly, I'm okay if the game is preventing obviously unrealistic trades from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Frankly, I'm okay if the game is preventing obviously unrealistic trades from happening.
    While I agree with that premise as it applies to the AI trading with itself, I think the human GM should be able to make dumb, "unrealistic" trades if they want to assuming it is good for the computer controlled team. I think you can find many "unrealistic" trades throughout the history of MLB.

The human can, by turning on Commissioner Mode.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    The human can, by turning on Commissioner Mode.
    Well true but I was thinking in terms of this being a game that you try to "win". Once you turn commish mode on in order to trade "unfairly" you've changed it from a strategy game to just a sim based upon your own rules. I just don't see why "Mogul" mode should handcuff the AI from making trades that are in its favor.