Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stealing Bases

Stealing Bases

When I'm playing in play-by-play, it feels like it's almost impossible to steal bases. Even with Jacoby Ellsbury (93 speed), I have stolen 5 bases while being caught 7 times! And the thing is, I've been stealing off weak catchers with weak arms, yet they're still throwing me out.

Another thing is that I find that in order to steal (especially with a good base stealer), I must go into the "Player" mode, and take the first pitch or two. If I stay in "Manager" mode, the computer often pitches out and catches me stealing. So I find the stealing component quite unrealistic. And it pisses me off when Ellsbury can't even steal a bag off a guy with ~70 arm strength.

Re: Stealing Bases

run on wakefield and victor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    run on wakefield and victor
    Well, I'm the Red Sox...and I must say the computer stealing off V-Mart is quite realistic in terms of percentage success.

****, I'm playing now and I'm stealing off Mike Napoli (68 Arm) and they pitch out right when I steal. What is this?

I know this needs fixing....

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan5 View Post
    When I'm playing in play-by-play, it feels like it's almost impossible to steal bases. Even with Jacoby Ellsbury (93 speed), I have stolen 5 bases while being caught 7 times! And the thing is, I've been stealing off weak catchers with weak arms, yet they're still throwing me out.

Another thing is that I find that in order to steal (especially with a good base stealer), I must go into the "Player" mode, and take the first pitch or two. If I stay in "Manager" mode, the computer often pitches out and catches me stealing. So I find the stealing component quite unrealistic. And it pisses me off when Ellsbury can't even steal a bag off a guy with ~70 arm strength.
    http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showpos...30&postcount=3

People complain about this ALL THE TIME.

But I've never noticed it when I PbP. In my current game my best base stealer is an 85 speed and PbPing all games I've been successful something like 18 out of 20 times.

You need to check the skills tab for his base stealing ranking, stealing bases isn't just about speed.

I find that over 7 seasons I've gone against looking at the catcher's arm rating for the most part (if its over 97 I'll maybe lay off but anything from 0 to 95 is the same to me) and ignoring the pitcher's speed all together (its as easy to steal against a 99 mph fastball as a knuckleball for me). It seems the weaker the arm, the more the expect you to steal and catch me pretty much equally to any other catcher arm strength.

I know I mistakenly left a pinch hitter (SS) at catcher one inning and he threw out a baserunner which seemed crazy.

This part of the game ticks me off to no end myself...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is this bbm 2010?

Bbm 2011

was this all done in pbp or did you sim it all?

This has been done all in PBP mode and this issue screws me over especially in games when the offense is not producing

Quote Originally Posted by Jsing88 View Post
    This part of the game ticks me off to no end myself...
    Look how much you are running.

Granderson has been attempting < 30 steals a season.

You have him on pace for about 75 attempts.

I've long suspected that this was at least part of the problem. You guys are trying way too many steals.

maybe so, but i figure granderson is so fast (in real life too) that he can out run even pitchouts which has obviously been a problem

Here is curtis granderson with my sim:

This was all done with simming not pbp.
    Attached Images Attached Images