Thread: Long-Time User, First-Time Poster Suggestions

Thumbs up Long-Time User, First-Time Poster Suggestions

Hi everyone. I'm guessing some of these suggestions have already been made here, but because I'm new, I'm going to throw them out there. My apologies if some have been discussed. Some quick background: I've been playing the series since 2003 or so, and usually buy a new version every other year. I prefer simming seasons fairly rapidly, rather than meddling in every game. I'm currently up to the 2051 season in Baseball Mogul 2009. I just keep going

Here are some things I've seen after playing the game a long time, along with a ballpark degree of difficulty at how hard they'd be to implement. (And Dee or Clay if you're reading this, please understand that this is the BEST sports game I've ever played. So don't think I'm being disrespectful in the slightest!)

1. Have a place on each team page where we can add our own logos
    I know due to MLB copyrights, etc. that you can't include team names or logos, but just like you do with the name field at the beginning- where GMs can modify team names- have an avatar in the top left of every team page. It can begin blank, or with a more generic logo, but then users can add the logos of their choice.
    Degree of Difficulty to Add: Easy

2. Make the Play-by-Play page look more custom for each team/city
    Dee, I think I e-mailed you this suggestion a few years ago, and you thought it was a good idea at the time. Take pictures of each MLB stadium, so that the background changes based on venue. You could also have 4 "sky skins" that change above the stadium- day, night, cloudy, rainy- to match the weather conditions given for each game.

Also, I know you can't use team logos, but that shouldn't prevent the team colors on the batters' helmets/socks/etc. from being accurate. Drop the blue/black for every team! I know the point of the game isn't play-by-play, but I think it would be pretty easy to make it city/team specific. I would certainly use the screen more if it didn't look so generic!
    DOD: Easy

3. Replace the Team Strategies page with an actual Manger function
    Here's how I see it working: Rather than setting the tendencies with individual sliders, you must HIRE a manager closest to the tendencies you prefer. You could have a choice of them, just like the player FA page. Managers should have popularity/happiness ratings, just like the players, which affect your overall team performance. As a manager ages, his tendencies will change, so if he deviates too far from what you like, you fire him and hire a new one.

Without complicating the game too much, I think this could more accurately reflect the big roles managers have on MLB clubs.
    DOD: Medium

4. Have other GMs change, and have different attributes
    As many of you may know, if you play the game long enough, it eventually changes some of the GM pictures- it even replaces some with Grey aliens if you play long enough! I think it would be cool if each GM had a "slider bar-style" attribute that read:

Professional Relationship--> Bad to Good

So if you've traded with the same GM a few times, the bar moves more towards good, and it's easier to get an offer going. But if you send the GM a few awful offers, the bar moves towards bad, and it's tougher. Agents seem to have this ability built in during contract negotiations, but GMs don't seem to change. I think this would prevent us from offering total clunkers of deals at first. It would also make GMs establish a new relationship if a computer team's GM changed.

You could certainly have other attributes as well, like Prefers--> Prospects to Veterans, or Prefers--> OPS over OBP, etc. But I think Professional Relationship would be a good start in the right direction.

5. Allow previous teams to be clickable on the Team History page
    The only way I have records of who was on my World Series Champions is by saving a new file each year that I win it. This could be changed by allowing us to click on our previous teams in the Team History page. It could bring up a simple, non-interactive statistical summary page of every player that was on your active roster that season.

6. Add to the Awards history page by making it a "Trophy Room" page
    I'm guessing you aren't able to use the real likenesses of the World Series trophy, etc., but that's okay. You could make up trophies for World Series, AL/NL Pennants, MVPs, etc. When a user clicks on this link, it will take him to an image of his/her OFFICE, where wood shelves display these awards, pictures of the newspapers from when they won the Series, etc.

If you wanted to take it a step further, the office could get nicer if your Mogul Rating increases, and more ghetto if it decreases. I think users would really like a function like this, and it wouldn't really involve changing the programming, as the awards are already in the game. Like the team colors, it would just be a matter of presenting them nicer!

7. Make injured players still receive a World Series ring in their Transactions page
    I think we've all had it happen: a great player gets injured during the playoffs, so you replace him with someone else. Then when you win it all, that guy doesn't have a title show up in his Transactions page, even though he was a big part of the team.

8. Improve the development engine so that converted Pitchers can actually improve in the field
    If you're like me, every few drafts you find a guy that is a pitcher, but has INSANE hitting ratings. So you go into Commissioner mode, change him to an easy fielding position like 1B, LF, RF, etc., only to see that his "55" rating never ever ever changes, no matter how many years he's in your system. So you just end up trading him to an AL team as a DH, since he's a butcher in the field

*Edit the game so that you don't have to go to commissioner mode to change a pitcher to a hitter, since it DOES happen in real life sometimes, i.e. Rick Ankiel.
    **Even though these guys should never be great in the field, allow them to at least reach a 70 rating for their position if you leave them in the minors long enough.
    DOD: Medium to difficult

9. Reduce the computer teams' extreme fetish for drafting Relief Pitchers at the top of the draft
    Part of the reason it's easier to build a dynasty over the long haul is because year after year, the computer GMs draft Relief Pitchers with their top picks, because they have higher ratings. Unfortunately, this flies in the face of real life, in which relief pitchers are hardly EVER taken in the first round, unless you're an idiot team like my Pirates, who could've had Matt Wieters, but took RP Dan Moskos instead.
    DOD: Difficult

10. Reduce the computer's willingness to trade their #1 pick to you as soon as they draft them
    This may be indirectly corrected in the new version, since Clay said it's tougher to get top prospects from other teams. But in the 2009 version, I've made my living off of cherry picking the best players from each draft by trading for them as soon as they are signed by a team. Yeah, I trade players with good RATINGS to get them, but in real life, I doubt a team would trade the top pick of a draft for a 28-year old RP with good numbers.

11. Add a GM of the Year award, that's presented during the player awards
    It could be based off of Mogul Rating, biggest improvement in Mogul Rating during a season, etc. If you did the latter, it would prevent the large market GMs (which usually have high mogul ratings) from winning every year. This could be added to the Trophy Case room.
    DOD: Easy to Medium

12. Add a "Top 100 Prospect Report" that comes out at the start of every season
    It would take a bit of programming, but I think all you'd have to do is base it off of a combination of a prospect's age, skill, and statistics- just like the real-life reports do. It would give a GM a better idea of what good, young prospects are out there, instead of just doing filtered searches for them.

13. Make the Draft and Trade portions of the Transactions page easier to scroll through consecutive players
    And what I mean is this: If you want to see how the top 10 players in a draft class are doing- or if you want to see how all the players you got/gave up in a trade are doing- you have to individually click on each one, since hitting the scrolling arrows at the bottom will just take you to the next player on that team's actual roster beside the player you are looking at. It makes quickly perusing a past event very time consuming. This would probably actually be a tougher fix, since you'd have to actually have 2 different types of scrolling attributes at the bottom, but I think it would be VERY helpful!

14. Just like Microsoft Word, have a highlighter function that you can use to highlight different players in your system with different colors
    Once you play so many seasons- and make so many trades- you start to lose track of who came from where, and have to check the Transactions page often. But an open-ended highlighter function could allow GMs to create their own tracking system if they wanted to. They could highlight who they think are their top prospects in yellow, all the guys they received from trading a slugger in green, or guys they're about to trade/cut in red.

Re: Long-Time User, First-Time Poster Suggestions

15. Give teams a price break for buying out the rest of a player's arbitration years
    Even if you reduce the Player Salary Demands increase in Commissioner mode, you still get to a point where any decent player is getting 8 figures- even if you buy out his arbitration years as soon as he becomes eligible. Just like in real life, players should sign for a slightly cheaper amount if a team is willing to lock them up early, i.e. Evan Longoria, etc. GMs should get a price break for taking that risk.

16. Make it tougher to unload awful contracts
    In real life, almost every team has 1-2 players that are basically untradeable. Users would not be so cavalier in ponying up big contracts, if they knew there was a chance they could never move the guy.
    DOD: Difficult, as it would involve changing a lot of AI

17. Make taxpayers pony up a significant amount when you build a new stadium
    Sans the new Yankee stadium, almost every stadium built these days has a large amount of public funding given to it. In the sim, I have over $400,000,000 saved, yet I still can't build a new top-of-the-line stadium for my Pirates (PNC Park is getting old in 2051, after all)!

18. Make arbitration a little more forgiving from the GMs end
    Players are rewarded too much for their ratings, rather than what they've done on the field statistically, which is the opposite of how real life MLB arbitration works. I've had players bomb for me on the field, and still get a HUGE arbitration award, because their ratings are good.

Also, I'm not saying have individual arbiters with different tendencies- but maybe give GMs a possible salary "range" to offer in, to increase chances of winning. It's just so tough to get a handle on how much it should be- especially when you get into the 2020's and 2030's, where players are getting over $20,000,000 a year awarded in arbitration.

Wow. I thought I only had about 7 or 8 changes. If you actually made it the whole way through this, thanks for reading!

JIm

19. On the Search Page, increase the attributes you can filter
    Just some off the top of my head that would really help GMs:
    *LH vs RH- in case you really need one or the other at the trade deadline
    *Peak rating- to filter out all the guys that HAVE the numbers you're looking for, but not the ceiling
    *Contract size- to filter out those big paycheck guys if you can't afford to add salary
    DOD: Easy to Medium

JIm

There are some good ideas here but it's a little overwhelming to deal with such a long list. Concerning #10, you have to wait a year after a player is drafted in 2010 or 2011 before you can trade for him; I thought it was the same in 2009. I still cherry pick but it seems most players become unhappy in their first year and I won't trade for someone with happiness below 50.

some good suggestions here.

I suggest that you pick two to three of the list of 19 and make a post of each suggestion. Nobody is going to 5 star this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Logan View Post
    Concerning #10, you have to wait a year after a player is drafted in 2010 or 2011 before you can trade for him; I thought it was the same in 2009.
    Yeah, the "Pete Incaviglia Rule". Although you can turn the option off in Baseball Mogul, you can't trade a draftee in real life until after the first year, so it only makes sense that it's the same way in the game.

For #1 are you just referring to adding logos? Cause that is very easy. Maybe i'm reading it wrong though.

A lot of these are good suggestions. My favorites would be 2, 6, 12, 13, 14, 18 and 19.

mnstonecold Guest

1, 2, and 10 can be enabled by using the user created stadium/catcher views on the download page. the ones for mogul 08/09 works with 2011. I do like 3 and 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Factor View Post
    2. Make the Play-by-Play page look more custom for each team/city
    Dee, I think I e-mailed you this suggestion a few years ago, and you thought it was a good idea at the time. Take pictures of each MLB stadium, so that the background changes based on venue. You could also have 4 "sky skins" that change above the stadium- day, night, cloudy, rainy- to match the weather conditions given for each game.
    Check the Mods Forum. There are plenty of alternate stadium backgrounds. The weather idea is cool enough, I suppose.

3. Replace the Team Strategies page with an actual Manger function
    Here's how I see it working: Rather than setting the tendencies with individual sliders, you must HIRE a manager closest to the tendencies you prefer. You could have a choice of them, just like the player FA page. Managers should have popularity/happiness ratings, just like the players, which affect your overall team performance. As a manager ages, his tendencies will change, so if he deviates too far from what you like, you fire him and hire a new one.
    Yes...this seems pretty simple. A lot of people have asked for it as well...I'd also throw in this idea. IF the current logic tries to adjust team strategies based on the skills of the players on the team then having managers that are capable of doing this in varying degrees would be cool too.

4. Have other GMs change, and have different attributes
    As many of you may know, if you play the game long enough, it eventually changes some of the GM pictures- it even replaces some with Grey aliens if you play long enough! I think it would be cool if each GM had a "slider bar-style" attribute that read:

Professional Relationship--> Bad to Good

So if you've traded with the same GM a few times, the bar moves more towards good, and it's easier to get an offer going. But if you send the GM a few awful offers, the bar moves towards bad, and it's tougher. Agents seem to have this ability built in during contract negotiations, but GMs don't seem to change. I think this would prevent us from offering total clunkers of deals at first. It would also make GMs establish a new relationship if a computer team's GM changed.

You could certainly have other attributes as well, like Prefers--> Prospects to Veterans, or Prefers--> OPS over OBP, etc. But I think Professional Relationship would be a good start in the right direction.
    Good idea. I'd prefer to see some sort of non-terrible general AI first

7. Make injured players still receive a World Series ring in their Transactions page
    I think we've all had it happen: a great player gets injured during the playoffs, so you replace him with someone else. Then when you win it all, that guy doesn't have a title show up in his Transactions page, even though he was a big part of the team.
    I do agree with this

8. Improve the development engine so that converted Pitchers can actually improve in the field
    If you're like me, every few drafts you find a guy that is a pitcher, but has INSANE hitting ratings. So you go into Commissioner mode, change him to an easy fielding position like 1B, LF, RF, etc., only to see that his "55" rating never ever ever changes, no matter how many years he's in your system. So you just end up trading him to an AL team as a DH, since he's a butcher in the field ]
    HUGE improvements are needed in all types of player conversions. I'm really disappointed that Clay didn't add any type of feature to do this, similar to the pitcher conversions added last year.

14. Just like Microsoft Word, have a highlighter function that you can use to highlight different players in your system with different colors
    Once you play so many seasons- and make so many trades- you start to lose track of who came from where, and have to check the Transactions page often. But an open-ended highlighter function could allow GMs to create their own tracking system if they wanted to. They could highlight who they think are their top prospects in yellow, all the guys they received from trading a slugger in green, or guys they're about to trade/cut in red.
    One of our very creative and original forum posters, Rongar, suggested that one could 'tag' players by using the player editor and adding symbols behind a players name. For example, 'Don Prospect ^' would be a guy to look out for.

15. Give teams a price break for buying out the rest of a player's arbitration years
    Even if you reduce the Player Salary Demands increase in Commissioner mode, you still get to a point where any decent player is getting 8 figures- even if you buy out his arbitration years as soon as he becomes eligible. Just like in real life, players should sign for a slightly cheaper amount if a team is willing to lock them up early, i.e. Evan Longoria, etc. GMs should get a price break for taking that risk.
    Yes 40/60/80 would be nice. Though, I'm not so sure that idea isn't falling by the wayside IRL.

16. Make it tougher to unload awful contracts
    In real life, almost every team has 1-2 players that are basically untradeable. Users would not be so cavalier in ponying up big contracts, if they knew there was a chance they could never move the guy.
    DOD: Difficult, as it would involve changing a lot of AI
    Yes. I can offer up any player, with any salary, at any time and EVERY team will be willing to trade for him. That's just not realistic.

18. Make arbitration a little more forgiving from the GMs end
    Players are rewarded too much for their ratings, rather than what they've done on the field statistically, which is the opposite of how real life MLB arbitration works. I've had players bomb for me on the field, and still get a HUGE arbitration award, because their ratings are good.
    There is a 'Stats vs Ratings' slider that should allow some control over this. I haven't studied it enough to know how well it works.

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses. I'm not quite sure what a 5-star thread means, but I'm not really worried about the post becoming "popular" or anything. Just wanted to get all of my thoughts out there from years of playing the game. You guys clearly know a ton about it.

Although I am very interested about the custom logos and stadiums part already being possible. I honestly didn't know you could do that. Is it tough to pull off?

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses. I'm not quite sure what a 5-star thread means, but I'm not really worried about the post becoming "popular" or anything.
    Well, the more "popular" threads (higher rated) have a higher likelihood that it will be added in a future version down the line. Some people come up with a "MUST HAVE FEATURE" in the game that only two or three people would enjoy, so the thread won't have a high rating, and therefore Clay won't pay much attention to it, compared to a higher rated thread.

That's why it's best to break down your suggestions into separate threads, because it looks like some of them are great ideas on their own, but with 20 things at once, it can get overwhelming and off topic fast.

Wow, thanks for the awesome responses. I'm not quite sure what a 5-star thread means, but I'm not really worried about the post becoming "popular" or anything. Just wanted to get all of my thoughts out there from years of playing the game. You guys clearly know a ton about it.

Although I am very interested about the custom logos and stadiums part already being possible. I honestly didn't know you could do that. Is it tough to pull off?
    http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthread.php?t=172649

I don't remember what stadium pics I use, but you should find some stuff in here. Search around in the mods forum.

As for as '5 Stars', threads/suggestions/bugs rated 5 stars tend to get Clay's attention and more readily addressed.

Interesting. Thanks for explaining the rules of the forum to me. Maybe I'll take the top 4-5 ideas from this thread that people seem to like and make a separate one for it down the road.

Thanks fellahs!