Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Park Factors App

Park Factors App - version 1.3 released!

Based on a suggestion from Filihok, I have developed a small app that will calculate the Park Factors for all of the home teams in the Mogul universe over a selected date range.

The factors themselves, are shown in the app window. All of the underlying data is stored in a CSV file that can be opened in Notepad or Excel.

At this time (version 1), the only sort is by park (three-letter team code). The factors I am calculating are for the following:

Name:  PF_v1b.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  163.3 KB

The underlying data shows the totals for home and road in the various categories, as well as per-game calcs:

ParkFactors.csv

VERSION 1.3 is now released! Version 1.3 fixes a bug in the code for when there have been no home games played. Zip file is below:

ParkFactors.zip

Comments/Feedback welcome.
    Last edited by Mizerak; 11-20-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added version 1.3

Re: Park Factors App

That looks

EDIT: Stupid Mods Forum

Really good. As always.

I'd just suggest that you reorder the columns (or let the user-do you know how to do that? Have the user drag the columns? That'd be a good way to test yourself ) in a more logical order.

EDIT 2: I didn't really read your post. Just looked at the pretty picture. So yeah, sorting. I still think you should challenge yourself to dragable columns

And for yourself, keeping in mind a possible expansion to calc ERA+ and OPS+

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    I'd just suggest that you reorder the columns (or let the user-do you know how to do that? Have the user drag the columns? That'd be a good way to test yourself ) in a more logical order.
    The issue here is that the data is not really in columns...it is in lines of text, not a grid. Not to say that I could not change it to put it in a grid, but I think I would be more likely to list the columns and have the user pick what order they should be in before the data is gathered.

EDIT 2: I didn't really read your post. Just looked at the pretty picture. So yeah, sorting.
    Sorting before or after I release the app to others?

And for yourself, keeping in mind a possible expansion to calc ERA+ and OPS+
    At this point, I am only gathering batting stats, but the gathering of AB along with the rest means that I should be able to calc park factors for batting average and OBP and such. If you are talking about calculating OPS+ for individual players, though...not sure how much work that would be. In this app I am not gathering ANY player info, only team totals.

By the way, I ran the app against all data I have from 1955 to the current season (1963) of my dynasty. I will put that data in the next post once I have done some analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerak View Post
    The issue here is that the data is not really in columns...it is in lines of text, not a grid. Not to say that I could not change it to put it in a grid, but I think I would be more likely to list the columns and have the user pick what order they should be in before the data is gathered.

Sorting before or after I release the app to others?

At this point, I am only gathering batting stats, but the gathering of AB along with the rest means that I should be able to calc park factors for batting average and OBP and such. If you are talking about calculating OPS+ for individual players, though...not sure how much work that would be. In this app I am not gathering ANY player info, only team totals.

By the way, I ran the app against all data I have from 1955 to the current season (1963) of my dynasty. I will put that data in the next post once I have done some analysis.
    By sorting, I just meant ability to move the columns around.

As for calculating OPS+ and ERA+, it is a little calculation heavy but if you have PF's, league averages, and player data (via the BSP) I'd think it would be doable

By sorting, I just meant ability to move the columns around.

As for calculating OPS+ and ERA+, it is a little calculation heavy but if you have PF's, league averages, and player data (via the BSP) I'd think it would be doable
    At the moment, I do not have anything that is calculating the league-wide averages of anything, unless I am not understanding you correctly.

More analysis

I ran my new app against data from 1955-1963 in my dynasty, and the screenshot below shows the results. The columns in the middle show the calculated Park Factors for the categories that you can set in the Stadium Editor (at least in BBM 2009). The columns on the right are the settings in the game for the stadiums shown. Where the numbers seem close, I have marked the cell in green; where they seem way off, I have marked the cell in red; where it seems in between, I have left it alone.

Name:  PF_1955_1963.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  187.8 KB

Some quick analysis: Some factors (Doubles, homers, strikeouts, batting average) seem to be working very well. Triples and GIDP seem to be off. I think that the reason for this is that triples and GIDP occur much less often than the other counting stats, and the lack of data (even over seven plus seasons) means that the variation is going to be wider. It is true that in parks where the triples are SET much higher (PIT, NYY), the values are correspondingly higher too, so the logic does seem to work.

I have not yet coded PF-AVG into the app, but it is easy enough to calc since I am gathering home and road AB and H.

Fili - just out of curiosity, what would be a good ordering of the columns? I could release the app with that order if you give me one, and put in column ordering later.

As for the order I'd go:

AVG, R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, K, DP, Errors

If it's not too much trouble things like SB's and BB's would be interesting to look at too

I agree with you about the errors and triples. With K's (which there are many of) it matches up pretty well.

As for the order I'd go:

AVG, R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, K, DP, Errors

If it's not too much trouble things like SB's and BB's would be interesting to look at too

I agree with you about the errors and triples. With K's (which there are many of) it matches up pretty well.
    The BB and SB data is being gathered already. Once I have the app calculating AVG and put the columns in the order you mentioned (BB and SB at the end, I guess), I will release version 1.

AVG, R, H, 2b, 3b, HR, SB, BB, K, DP, ERR

based on years of looking at these

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//2...d8fef6d691.jpg
    I am confused...the fields on that screenshot are not in the order you just described.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerak View Post
    I am confused...the fields on that screenshot are not in the order you just described.
    That's because the order doesn't really matter. It's just my OCD that doesn't like to see AVG, HR, SB, BB, 3B, Error, K, 2B, Runs. Anything in logical (as long as it is my logic) order is fine.

My final (current) suggestion would be

BA, Runs, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, K, SB, DP, Errors

That's because the order doesn't really matter. It's just my OCD that doesn't like to see AVG, HR, SB, BB, 3B, Error, K, 2B, Runs. Anything in logical (as long as it is my logic) order is fine.

My final (current) suggestion would be

BA, Runs, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, K, SB, DP, Errors
    Well, I went off of your first suggestion, and added the BB and SB at the end. The other columns are settable in the game, so they should come first, I think.

Further on down the line I may allow the user to set the order of columns...until then, the columns are set.

Version 1 has now been released! I have edited the first post in the thread and included the new file.

Looks good and you rock. I hope I get a chance to play around with it here in the next few days...

There doesn't seem to be much variance in BA in your data and those HR numbers in NY and PHI are pretty low

Ok, I made time

Excellent App

One issue, I think you made the display size for the amount of teams in your league because when I ran it a bunch of my teams were cut off. I calc'd the PF's then expanded the size of the app-that didn't help

I expanded the size of the app, the calc'd the PF's and that (hmm hmm hmm is taking a while hmm hmm hmm) didn't work either.

I can still find them in excel but not in the app.

I don't think Clay is going to like what this app finds about the PF's in the game. Quick glances don't look like they are providing results as intended.
    Attached Images Attached Images