Thread: Strategy based board games

Strategy based board games

I was wondering what type of strategy games you guys play and which would be good buys.
    By strategy games I mean those along the lines of:
    -Risk
    -History of the World (my personal favorite)
    -Antike
    -Settlers of Catan

etc
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    --Douglas Adams

Re: Strategy based board games

Im playing Europa Universalis 3. If you liked History of the world its a must buy

Supremacy, absolutely. Had some good times with this one.

Unfortunately, unless you get lucky and can find it in an old hobby store, you may have to overpay some eBay shark for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Baseball statistics are a lot like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."-Toby Harrah

"It's hard to look pissed off eating Apple Jacks."-Sh*t my Dad Says

I shall check out Supremacy

I tried out Europa, Guidi, but I was still burned out from a couple other things and was not ready to learn a new game, haha, but I will try again.

I also just discovered Carcassonne, which is a bundle of fun!
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    --Douglas Adams

If you're trying to learn to play EU3, forget the in-game tutorials...they suck (and if you have any of the expansions or the complete edition, they flat out don't work right anyway). Try the EU3 wiki site. Lots of explanation for how the mechanics of the game work, and ideas for what you should try to do the first few hours of a game as pretty much any country.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
    If you're trying to learn to play EU3, forget the in-game tutorials...they suck (and if you have any of the expansions or the complete edition, they flat out don't work right anyway). Try the EU3 wiki site. Lots of explanation for how the mechanics of the game work, and ideas for what you should try to do the first few hours of a game as pretty much any country.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page
    I'm still on my first game as the Ottomans which has been pretty easy other then the first year. My infamy is so high I cant expand like the real Ottomans did and the Golden Horde is taking over the world. I'll be damned if I let a bunch of ****ing Mongols rule the world **** them!

Quote Originally Posted by guidi2009 View Post
    I'm still on my first game as the Ottomans which has been pretty easy other then the first year. My infamy is so high I cant expand like the real Ottomans did and the Golden Horde is taking over the world. I'll be damned if I let a bunch of ****ing Mongols rule the world **** them!
    Lol! Have you picked up the Heir to the Throne expansion yet? I haven't played with it enough to really formulate a final opinion, but the AI seems considerably craftier.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
    Lol! Have you picked up the Heir to the Throne expansion yet? I haven't played with it enough to really formulate a final opinion, but the AI seems considerably craftier.

I bought the game with the expansion, so I don't know what it was like without it.

Quote Originally Posted by guidi2009 View Post
    I bought the game with the expansion, so I don't know what it was like without it.
    Actually, this expansion just came out a few weeks ago. It isn't part of the Complete Edition, if that's what you picked up.

Cosmic Encounter (available from Hasbro), Titan (alas no longer available), 1830 (also out of print.) Three of the greatest ever.

My friends and I were so into Axis and Allies a couple summers ago that we built a 6ft x 4 ft game board on a piece of plywood. We cut the countries out of foam board so they were elevated.If you've ever played, this made the game much easier to play because the multitude of pieces was no longer an issue.
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

Charlie Hustle for the Hall.