Thread: Suggestion: Finances - Income Statement

Suggestion: Finances - Income Statement

I'd really, really, really like to see something like an income statement for Mogul

From this thread, which was from this thread. Especially post 32.

I find the financial aspect of Mogul to be one of the most interesting parts. Figuring out how to most efficiently use your expenses to make the best team.

But it's really hard since it is next to impossible to look at how that money is spent.

I've tried to keep track in excel, very meticulously, but my excel numbers never match up to the mogul numbers. It's possible that I'm doing something wrong, but since the mogul financial numbers are so poorly displayed I've never been able to figure out if the problem is me or the game. I only know that the game always gives me 10 or more times as much profit as I can calculate.

PART of the problem is that you can only get revenue data from home games, even though you get revenue from away games as well. But there is more to it than that since total revenue is listed. The biggest problem is with payroll. NOWHERE in the game does it show how much money has been spent on payroll. NOWHERE. That is a huge flaw in my opinion.

I propose the following financial screen

Code:
    DATA          Last Year                   Year to Date                Projected Year
    Revenue      $150,000,000                 $75,000,000                $155,000,000
       Tickets
       Concessions
       Media
    Expenses     $100,000,000                  $50,000,000                $120,000,000
       Payroll     
       Scouting
       Farm
       Medical

Beginning $  $20,000,000                   $70,000,000                $70,000,000
    Ending $     $70,000,000                   $95,000,000                $105,000,000
    I think that this would be much more useful than the current set-up, which I don't find to be useful AT ALL.

Re: Suggestion: Finances - Income Statement

well i do agree with you somewhat, but i am so far handling things really well financially in my league. have you also calculated the expense for your minor league players as well, tv revenue, etc when you calculate the numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Latinyankee View Post
    well i do agree with you somewhat, but i am so far handling things really well financially in my league. have you also calculated the expense for your minor league players as well, tv revenue, etc when you calculate the numbers?
    Yes. I meticulously track each roster move I make and how it effects my payroll expense. I have to do it so meticulously because NOWHERE in the game is this done. It's absurd that I can't use the game to find out how much I've paid in payroll.

I, personally, get along OK with the current setup, but I'm sure I'd use a more rational accounting scheme. Your suggested format looks great. I voted 5 stars.

You forgot about the balance sheet, statement of owner's equity, and statement of cash flows.

But, yeah, definitely, the finances section the way it is currently set up, stinks.

http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthr...Payroll-Budget

Quote Originally Posted by cfeedback View Post
    Do away with Payroll Budget

This has to be the most misunderstood stat in Mogul. Completely eliminating it would save everyone a world of confusion.

On the main screen, just put it in projected profit. It's much easier for a player to look at see "oh, I'm projected to lose 5mil this year but I have 80mil on hand so that's not any big deal at all".

Probably some other improvements could be made in this area as well, but I'm not sure exactly what would be best. All I know is if I could eliminate the "Payroll Budget" from every showing up on my league file I would. I get tired of explaining it to every single new GM.

This has always bothered me. As someone that creates Excels for my budgets and plans, the fact that finances are important in the game, and yet so much of it is nebulous and not displayed anywhere, is troubling.

This can be hidden away in a menu somewhere. But I find myself going to team history -> finances, or F2 for the profit estimate, or viewing the payroll amount, and just being perturbed - it's like there's a cool nerdy party going on, but I can only peak at it through three tiny, grungy windows, and can't really get in.

No one should be turned away from a nerd party.