Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill

The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill

Prologue
    June 30th, 2013
    Washington, D.C.

"Mr. Gossage," I heard a call from Ted Lerner's office as I was talking with his intern Chris, who was acting as his secretary.

"Yes sir," I hollered back.

"Join me in my office please," he replied sternly.

I shot a smile at Chris as I turned, wiping it off before Phil, joined by Will the security guard, could see it. I replied "Sure thing boss!" as I headed for his office.

I turned back just before entering the office, giving Chris one last grin. She responded by mouthing "Good luck."

"I assume you know what I want to talk to you about," Mr. Lerner said as I sat down.

"No sir," I knew full well why. Hell, even the players in the clubhouse could've heard the confrontation Mr. Lerner and Mr. Ihok has just had, resulting in the latter's firing.

"Well, Mr. Gossage, in lieu of wasting of $25 million of my hard earned money, Mr. Ihok has been relieved of his duties as General Manager of this ballclub. I'd like you to take that position, on an interim basis of course," he offered.

"I accept, of course," I replied gleefully.

"Good," he remained serious, "Your first order of business is to get my payroll back down around $100 million. Maybe then we'll only end up $10 million in the hole for the year," he directed.

"Sure thing," I replied, somewhat disappointed.

"If you don't f-ck up like Ihok, maybe you'll be around next year, and then I'll give you a more specific budget," he was still aggravated.

"Yes sir," I replied.

"Off you go," he ushered. "I expect you dump that salary before tomorrow's game."

"Thank you sir," I walked out. Dump nearly $10 million in salary, I sure hope someone's desperate (read stupid) enough to take Wells off my hands, but that, is very unlikely.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

Re: The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill

Reserved for 'Title Page'
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

House Rules

Filihok used many means in order to manage the AI and maintain competitive balance throughout the league. I intend to continue this effort, as it has become a staple in this dynasty. I already use many of these myself, but I will pay extra attention and add a few more house rules to my repertoire.

1) Trades

Unlike filihok, I will not impose any formal restrictions on the number of, or how I reach each trade proposal. I will try to keep the number as well as the trades realistic.

2) Free Agency

I will use Mizerak's negotiator app

3) Disabled List

A player who is placed on the Disabled List is ineligible to return until 15 days are up. I may players who are injured for less time (within reason) but must still remain on the DL for 15 days.

4) Rule V Draft

Each offseason, immediately before spring training, I will conduct a Rule V Draft. I use a method similar to filihok's. I will post details with the results of the Draft.

5) Settings

A) I am using the same settings as filihok, which can be found in the mog file located here. I will likely tinker with them at some point, but they are already close to those I use myself. (and I trust filihok's judgement)

B) I will adjust the trade frequency throughout the year in an effort to mimic how active teams are in the trade market at different times of the year:

i. From April 1st to May 14th trades will be set at -40%
    ii. From May 15th to July 24th trades will be set at +0%
    iii. From July 25th to July 31st trades will be increased to +20%
    iv. From August 1st to March 1st trades will be set at +0%
    v. From March 1st to March 31st trades will be set at -100%

6) Commissioner Actions

A) I reserve the right to veto and/or modify any trades made my the AI which I deem detrimental to the competitive balance of the league.

B) I reserve the right to initiate trades in order to improve competitive balance.

C) I reserve the right to initiate free agent signings, releases and may change cash levels of any team in order to improve competitive balance.

D) I reserve the right to use any means necessary in order to promote competitive balance.

7) Format

I would prefer to make all of my writing storyline driven, but I just don't have the time to that for two dynasties right now, let alone two, especially if I want to be as thorough as I would like. I will include some posts of storyline though, at key points in the dynasty.

I will not give game-by-game recaps, but I will post important stories and a monthly (or maybe more often) recap, much like filihok has been doing. It will likely be a work in progress to start, and I would appreciate any feedback you guys have.

8) Special Thanks

Special Thanks to filihok for allowing me to continue his dynasty. He did a great job with it. His entire version up until date can be located here. You do not need to read it to fully enjoy this, but I do recommend reading filihok's final post (located here), which takes place immediately before my prologue found above.

Also, special thanks to Mizerak for all of his apps, which will be used throughout this dynasty.

And, of course, special thanks to all of the authors from which I craft of style.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

Sean 'Goose' Gossage was born in 1973 to a working class family in the Bronx. He received the nickname 'Goose', after the great Yankee closer of the time, a nickname he would prove worthy of the title as he excelled as a hard throwing reliever until his baseball career ended after graduating Junior College. He worked for various organizations in various capacities over the years, eventually latching on with the Montreal Expos in 2002, remaining with the club as they moved to Washington. He served as the Assistant General Manager to Phil Ihok since 2008. He was appointed to the position of Interim General Manager of the Washington Nationals following the firing Ihok on July 1st, 2013. He takes over a team sitting in third place in their division with a record of 41-38.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

At first I thought the title was a reference to Metsguy quote in your sig... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FloydtheBarber View Post
    At first I thought the title was a reference to Metsguy quote in your sig... LOL
    That's how I thought of the name 'Goose'.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

You need a constipated sidekick named Go, that must mean Nellie Fox or another Go Go White Sox

or nwuhockey

July 1st, 2013

No wonder Wells managed to stay with the Blue Jays for so long, nobody wants him, just as I suspected. Luckily, we have a pitcher languishing in Triple-A by the name of Joe Blanton. Did I mention he's expendable? Did I mention he's making $7.3M this year? Did I mention there are suitors?

I ended up swinging a deal with the Colorado Rockies, sending the 32 year old Blanton (84) to the Rockies for 21 year old speedster Harvey Carrie (60/90). He'll go to Single-A Potomac while Blanton takes a spot in the Colorado rotation and I solve our budget problem.

This doesn't change anything on the Major League side, but here's a look at how our club shapes up as we head into July:

Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

You turned peak back on?

Gossage's name is Rich, not Sean.
    ]

Mets:

Quote Originally Posted by gosensgo101 View Post
    Sean 'Goose' Gossage was born in 1973 to a working class family in the Bronx. He received the nickname 'Goose', after the great Yankee closer of the time,
    Sean is named in honor of the great relief pitcher. He isn't the reliever, who in 2013 would be 62.

Unfortunately, now that you point it out, there's still a problem. In 1973 Mr. Gossage played for the White Sox, not Yankees. Entering '73 he had a lifetime record of 7-1 4.28 ERA 2 saves. In 1973 he went 0-4, 7.43 ERA. Hardly the legend you'd name your kid after.

Ah well, geese are geese. On with the show
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

Quote Originally Posted by CatKnight View Post
    Mets:

Sean is named in honor of the great relief pitcher. He isn't the reliever, who in 2013 would be 62.

Unfortunately, now that you point it out, there's still a problem. In 1973 Mr. Gossage played for the White Sox, not Yankees. Entering '73 he had a lifetime record of 7-1 4.28 ERA 2 saves. In 1973 he went 0-4, 7.43 ERA. Hardly the legend you'd name your kid after.

Ah well, geese are geese. On with the show
    He probably acquired the nickname growing up, not right when he was born.

FTB: Yeah, I much prefer to play with peaks on.

MG: Cat answered your question perfectly, except...

Cat: Indeed, but as Astros said, he picked the nickname up later in life (during primary school)

July 1st, 2013
    Nationals lose first game of the Goose's era
    Armed with a new lineup, the Nationals lost their first game under the reign of Sean 'Goose' Gossage, losing 6-4 to the Marlins.

July 2nd, 2013
    Division Leaders lose speedy Center Fielder
    Milwaukee's Carlos Gomez may not be ready to return in time for Spring Training. The Brewers currently sit 4 games up on the Cardinals for the Central Division lead.

July 2nd, 2013
    Sean Gallagher No-Hits D'backs
    The 27-year old Pirate allowed 5 baserunners - 4 walks and 1 error (from Ryan Doumit, who curiously replaced Steven Pearce in Right Field in the 7th inning, making his first appearance at the position since 2011 with the Angels) - against the NL's 3rd best offence. It was the righty's first career complete game, which consists of 98 starts.

July 7th, 2013
    Reliable Gervacio blows saves on consecutive days, increases ERA by nearly 2 full points
    The National's usually dependable closer, Samuel Gervacio, has given up 3 runs in the 9th inning against the Giants the last 2 days, blowing saves and losing the ballgame in both instances.

July 7th, 2013
    Upton completes cycle in bottom of the tenth
    The Diamondbacks' Justin Upton lead off the bottom of the tenth inning trailing the division rival Dodgers by 1 run, a homer away from the cycle. He took a 1-1 fastball from Dodger closer Takahashi Saito deep to left field to complete the feat. The D'backs would complete the comeback in the bottom half of the 11th inning. Upton was 4-for-5 on the day. Despite the win, the Dodgers still hold a 3 game edge over the Wild Card leading Diamondbacks in the NL West.

July 12th, 2013
    Nationals 3-8 for July as All-Star Break begins.
    The Nationals head into the All-Star Break following a 4 game sweep on behalf of the Diamondbacks. "We've lost some close games," said Interim GM Sean Gossage, better known as Goose (but not the once you're thinking of), "I hope we can come back after the break and start winning these 1 and 2 run games."

July 12th, 2013
    Senior Circuit races just heating up
    It looks like it will be a very interesting stretch drive in the National League as no division leader (Atlanta, Milwaukee & Los Angeles) has a lead bigger than two and a half games. In the American League, The Central and West Division leaders (Cleveland and Texas respectively) have 4 game leads while the Yankees are the only team in the Majors running away with their division, sitting 12 games up of the 2nd place Rays with the best record in baseball (59-29 for a .670 win percentage).
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

2013 All-Star Festivities
    July 13th-14th

Home Run Derby

Code:
    2013 Home Run Showdown

FIRST ROUND (10 Outs)

PLAYER                          HOMERS
    Alex Rodriguez (NYY)                12
    David Cooper (HOU)                   9
    Brandon Wood (SEA)                   8
    Michael Burgess (DET)                8
    Mat Gamel (MIL)                      7
    Kyle Skipworth (CHW)                 6
    Gordon Beckham (HOU)                 6
    Travis Snider (TOR)                  5
    Jeff Francoeur (ATL)                 2
    Jay Bruce (CIN)                      1

SECOND ROUND (5 Outs)

Alex Rodriguez (NYY)                 6
    David Cooper (HOU)                   3
    Brandon Wood (SEA)                   2
    Michael Burgess (DET)                1

FINAL ROUND (5 Outs)

Alex Rodriguez (NYY)                 1
    David Cooper (HOU)                   1

EXTRA INNINGS (3 outs)

ALEX RODRIGUEZ                       4
    David Cooper                         2

WINNER: Alex Rodriguez
    Rosters

There are lots of newcomers to the All-Star Game, including our very own Aaron Crowe, who is our sole representative at the All-Star Game, and deservedly so.

I do think our 27-year old Shortstop Todd Frazier got jipped out of his own first All-Star appearance, especially when compared with NL Infield reserves Brian Roberts and Akinori Iwamura. Sure he didn't open up the season as a starter, but they've only got 27 and 31 at bats on him. Plus, Kelly Johnson managed to make the team with 252 ABs.

All-Star Game

The Senior Circuit was held to 3 hits and was down 6-0 before they exploded for 3 runs in the 6th inning and another 5 runs in the 7th to take the lead and eventually win the game 8-7. Interestingly, the Angels' Francisco Rodriguez got his first professional start since 2001 as a 19 year old, when he was in Single A. Former Angel John Lackey, now in his first full season with the Brewers, got the call for the National League side. Washington's own Aaron Crow gave up 1 run, throwing the 5th inning for the National League Squad.

Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties