Thread: The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny

The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny

PRESS RELEASE

02/03/2009 5:15 PM ET
    San Diego Padres owner enters into agreement to sell club to young CEO and Owner Jeffrey Lage. Lage committed to winning World Series and maintaining club's legacy of community involvement

SAN DIEGO, CA - Marking a new chapter in the club's 40-year history, the San Diego Padres announced today an agreement to sell the team to a Missouri-based ownership group led by Jeffrey Lage, who resigned last month as CEO of the Consultative Marketing Group. Lage and his group will buy the franchise over a period of up to five years, ultimately acquiring 100% ownership, subject to approval by Major League Baseball. Under the terms of the agreement, the sale is expected to close and Lage to assume the role of CEO by Opening Day.

A SEMO graduate with strong roots in Southern Missouri, Lage has a 10-year history in professional management, working many years as CEO for a business consulting firm which went national three years ago. He sold off a majority of his shares in his main enterprise to provide the investment capital into the Padres.

"Jeffrey Lage will not only bring to the Padres his unique experience, passion for the game, and proven leadership, but an unparalleled commitment to the City of San Diego and its dedicated fans," said Padres Chairman John Moores. "I speak for our entire organization in saying that we look forward to working with Jeff to reach the ultimate goal of winning a World Series title for America's Finest City."

"It is an honor to enter into an agreement to purchase the San Diego Padres, a team with a rich history of great players, terrific fans, and a strong commitment to the community," said Lage. "I consider it a privilege to have worked out an agreement that allows for the orderly transition of ownership of the franchise over the next several years."

"As a lifelong baseball fan and a major desire to produce winning companies, I know that with this privilege comes the responsibility to field a consistently-winning team with an absolute goal of winning a World Series championship," Lage added. "I also know that we have a responsibility to our fans, as they are the spirit and heart of the Padres, and I look forward to providing an affordable, rewarding fan experience for all. It will be a hallmark of our ownership group to continue the same organizational commitment to the San Diego community that the Moores have spearheaded so admirably. We look forward to being on board by Opening Day."

Please leave all of your comments in this thread Comment thread
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 09-30-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Re: The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny

Lage speaks for first time since assuming control of Padres

by Keith Brooks

I recently had the chance to sit down with the new Owner of the San Diego Padres, Jeffrey Lage.

KB: We've heard a few things about you through the press release released by the club, but can you let us get to know you a bit better?

JL: Well when I was 19 I started CMG (the Consultative Marketing Group) the first few years were kind of slow, and I was learning on the job, but we were able to piggy back with some accounts and help them grow nationally, which in turn eventually made us grow to similar size. So after six years we eventually got to two headquarters and forty satellite offices. Some motivated buyers came to us this past winter and they were hard to ignore. I still have an active involvement on the board but I am no longer running the ship. Transitioning will be hard for me since I am so used to being a hands on executive.

KB: Should we expect any changes to the front office and coaching staff?

JL: I prefer to not comment on this at this time. Fans just need to understand that the new ownership group is committed to winning. We would rather win than make money. I have my money, I want the Padres to be a major contender for many many years to come.

KB: Is whatever management that will be in place going to have the means to get a piece or two should the team be in contention late in the season?

JL: We will always be open to pursuing new candidates that can help make our club better. We will not close the books or shut down communication with anyone if it can allow us to improve the quality of our ball club. I would say, depending how our team starts out of the gate, we will look to reward our players with solid help.

KB: How involved into the day-to-day operations of the ball club will you be?

JL: Well Kevin and I haven’t had much of a chance to discuss sadly. I am a very hands on executive. I will try to allow whoever works for me to do their job, however, it will be a struggle for me. I am committed to winning, not making money, and I expect anyone else working for me to think the same way, so depends who is working for me. But we also do have to be budget conscious and make plans to improve baseball in San Diego for years to come. We plan to remain as owners for many decades to come, which means we do have to profit in order for that to happen.

KB: Lastly, can you give us a prediction for the upcoming season?

JL: It’s gonna be a hell of a year, come out and see, I think the great fans of San Diego are going to love what we are doing around here.

We'll be excited to see what the future has in store for the Padres and their charismatic young owner. Until next time, you stay classy San Diego.

Nice to finally see a Padres dynasty. I'm definitely going to try and follow along.

PRESS RELEASE
    02/06/2009

McCormick in, Towers out, as new Ownership makes changes

SAN DIEGO, CA - As many expected, the Padres' new ownership, led by Jeffrey Lage, have made a major shakeup in the front office just three days after acquiring the club from the previous owners.

The 47 year-old Kevin Towers spent 13 years at the helm of the Padres, leading them to four division championships and collected an NL Pennant in 1998.

His replacement will be 43-year old John McCormick, who has been a part of the Oakland A's organization in some capacity since he graduated college. Most recently, he has been acting as Billy Beane's right hand man.

When the new owner was approached about why the move was made and when asked more about Buddy he declined to comment.

John 'Buddy' McCormick was born in 1965 on a ranch in Texas, near Corpus Christi, where he grew up watching the Texas League's Midland Cubs, the local Double-A ballclub. Between watching his beloved Cubs and playing pickup ball in the hayfields outside of Midland, instead of football like most of his friends, he became very knowledgeable of the sport.

After a successful high school career, Buddy received an athletic scholarship to the University of Texas where he starred as the Longhorn's primary catcher for 3 and half years, while majoring in Sports Management. Halfway through his senior season, McCormick was involved in a collision at the plate with Auburn University's burly First Baseman: Frank Thomas. The incident ruptured all 4 of McCormick's major ligaments in his knee. The superstar catcher, who was highly praised by scouts and considered by many as the best prospect in the upcoming draft, would never play baseball again.

After graduating, McCormick found work with the Oakland A's Organization. He started off in the front office while he was still recovering from his knee injury, but eventually made his way back to field level, managing multiple Minor League teams within the organization in the early 90s. After turning 30 in 1995, McCormick's knee worsened, forcing him to retire as an on-field manager. He was accepted back into the Front Office as Director of Player Development, and would become Billy Beane's right hand man once J.P. Ricciardi left in the 2001 offseason.

McCormick received many job offers during his time in the Athletics' Front Office, some offering him the GM post. He refused all offers, saying he wanted to stay close to family in California. He walks with a limp to this day.

He made the following statement upon being appointed as the Padres' new General Manager: "I thought this was a good time to make the move. I'm feeling better than I have in years, and my children are at the right age. My youngest is now if school full time, taking some stress off my wife and my oldest is old enough to understand why I'm leaving, as well as take some more responsibilities around the house. I felt that if I didn't move on now, I never would."
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

BUDGET TIME

"DAMNIT BUDDY!

If I had known I was buying such a ****ing money pit I would have stayed home and drank tea with my wife!

Moorad shielded these true numbers. No wonder he accepted my low offer to buy this piece of **** club!"

Obviously new owner Jeffrey Lage is a little upset as a surprised fresh new General Manager is shocked by the screaming of his owner and boss slamming into his office.

"Just take a look at the numbers. We have to either drastically adjust the pricing structure of tickets and concessions, or we have to cut payroll"

"Well we already have the second lowest payroll in baseball. What are proposing?" Replied Buddy.

"I am not sure yet."

Granted Jeffrey may have only been looking at a very small portion of the budget he was noticing it heading towards red at the end of the year. Maybe it's time for him to calm down and relax and roll with the flow and trust his General Manager and that manager's decisions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Conversation between owner Jeffrey Lage and General Manager John "Buddy" McCormick

JL "Hi Buddy, have a seat."

JM "Thank you sir."

JL "We need to discuss the budget and the proposed dollars for this year."

JM "Yeah."

JL "So Buddy, here's the situation: me and the VP or operations Jarred Dillon have been discussing the proposed budget for this next season."

JM "I've read the document over. I may have a college education and all, but I don't understand all that stuff. All I want to know is how much money I have to work with."

JL "We do need to lower our expenses in order to sustain better cash flow for our future investments."

JM "The expenses are up to you, but I would like to keep as much money as possible flowing into our farm system."

JL "Right now our payroll is sitting somewhere around 47 million. I want you try to lower that over the next 12 months for opening day 2010. I know that is news that breaks any GM's heart, but we have some overpaid atheletes on contracts that we need to move at some point, whether that is through free agency or through trades, that is your call."

JM "Do I have your permission to trade any player I wish? Is anyone untouchable?"

JL "You can trade whoever you want, that will be you call. I may weigh in on your decisions, I will want you to ask permission before finalizing any deals. I do like Adrian Gonzalez though, but that Dyskstra kid looks like he could be a real shot in the arm one day. Isn't that Lenny's kid?"

JM "Not sure, I'll make sure to run everything by you though."

JL "I want us to try and get payroll down to around 40 million for 2010 and look to beef up our farm system for our future. I want a world series, but we are not going to be able to compete with L.A., Arizona, Colorado and San Fran with the current market or our team. So lets get a strong future built up."

JM "Sounds like a plan."

JL "Yup, let's beef up for our future. I don't care how many we win this year, but I do want the fans to know we are very clear about building for the future. If you can help us build into that direction, you can consider your job secured."

JM "Ok, I'll always look to win if it doesn't jeopardize our future or put us over budget though."

JL "Now lets talk about Bud Black. He has been here since 07, and he took over a solid team that has slipped away a bit. I like Bud overall, but I am not sold that he is the type of manager to do this rebuilding with. What do you think Buddy?"

JM "He's a great guy, and I'd love to have him handle my pitching staff, but I think we need a fresh face to manage the club."

JL "What are you thinking?"

JM "A young guy, but a motivator, someone who can get 110% out of our youngsters, and someone who's won before."

JL "You sound like you are talking about an angel of managers? Does one even exist that is available?"

JM I've been thinking of what candidates are out there since I got the job, and I've narrowed it down to three guys."

JL "Who."

JM "Here's the three bio's. The first, is an older fella, a vet. He's a good motivator, but he might be too tough on our young guys."

JL "Well I believe in tough love in management, you need someone to scare ya sometimes. Depending on his patience level, not everyone wants to manage toward rebuilding."

JM "The next guy's in his late 40's, and has certainly paid his dues. I think he's too friendly with his player's though.

JL "Ok."

JM "The last guy is my up front favorite, Mark Denney. He's won in his minors, his players like him, but the players still respect him. I think he will also mesh as a part of our management team. You have anything to weigh in?"

JL "Just that I am trusting what your decisions are in regards to your personnel."

JM "Thank you."

JL "That's all."

JM "Have a nice day sir."

JL "Thank you Buddy."

02/16/09
    Overhaul continues, as Denney replaces Black at the helm

SAN DIEGO, CA - The San Diego Padres continue to get a makeover as Bud Black was fired as the club's manager this morning. Jeffrey Lage has been quick to put his own men in position, now just 13 days after taking control of the club.

Bud Black replaced Bruce Bochy at the helm of the Padres for the beginning of the 2007 season, falling one win short of a Wild Card birth after loosing a tiebreaker to the eventual NL pennant winners - the Colorado Rockies. However, he failed to come close to that performance in 2008, leading the Padres to a dismal 63 win season.

"I'm sure he'll find a job someplace soon, whether as a manager or a pitching coach. He'll be fine," said Buddy McCormick, GM of 10 days.

Owner Jeffrey Lage also commented: "I want to start with a clean slate, give my guy (McCormick) the chance to hire his man. We're looking to turn this club around from where we were last season into a contender in the near future, and bringing in the guys we want to right away is going to help us accomplish that."

Buddy's 'man' is Mark Denney, a former minor league pitcher who flamed out in the minors and worked in the system as coach and manager in recent years. Denney is known for working very well with minor league pitching and also bringing home the PCL Championship with the AAA Fresno Grizzlies organization while as manager in 2006.

"I am very proud to be named new manager of the Padres," said Mark during a press conference held, "I am very proud to land such a great job and am able to stay in my home state. We do have our work cut out for us, but I will do my best to take this club to glory."

Not many people outside of the central valley know of Mr. Denney, but according to the Fresno faithful, it seemed he is the no-nonsense type, but also has a calm yet intimidating demeanour. Mark spent the early of his baseball career as a highly touted prospect in the Oakland Athletics organization, where he crossed roads with McCormick, only to succumb to injuries that later put an end to what could have been a fine career at an early age. His love for the game was unquestioned however as he worked his way through the coaching ranks to finally become manager of the Single A Visalia Rawhide organization when he was at the age of 28 back in 1996.

It was 10 years later, when he guided an underdog Fresno Grizzlies to a Pacific Coast league championship, earning praise among the community for accomplishing such a task. Now today, he takes the helm of a wet behind the ears franchise. Though the Fresno team struggled, mainly due to so many ready prospects being called up to the Giants, San Diego ownership knows he is the type of guy that can mould a group into a fine oiled machine. At Age 41, he and Cleveland skipper Eric Wedge are the youngest managers in the Major Leagues.

In lieu of the fury of personnel changes, all three declined to comment when asked if we should expect some players to be shuffled in and out. I suspect we will see many more changes before the season is through.

March 31st, 2009
    Peoria, AZ

I walked into Mark Denney's office at 4:30, just 15 minutes after we lost a close affair with the Milwaukee Brewers, our last game of Spring Training.

"Come on in Buddy, I was just packing up," he popped up from under his desk just as I was about to hit my cane against his open door to announce my presence. He was cheerful, as he had been for most of March. I doubt I would find him in the same mood if I walked in on him after a 1-run lose in a weeks time; he's known to have a bit of a mean streak, but that's necessary for any successful manager."

"Er, someone stole the other chair, I'll be back in moment," he said after I stood there blankly for a few seconds. At first the willingness of others to fetch things for me was quite annoying, but I've grown to live with it, even enjoying it sometimes. I had strolled in front of his desk by the time he returned and wheeled an office chair under me."

"There we are," he paused as he rounded his desk to sit in his own seat, "You want to talk about final cuts I figure?"

"Yes. I recall you want 15 hitters and 10 pitchers?"

"I would like that, yes"

"OK. Lets start with the rotation. Peavey, Young and Hill are the only locks there."

"I'm not too crazy about that Hill fella."

"Considering the alternatives, he's a lock as the 3rd starter out of the gate."

"Of course."

"What do you think of Banks? He's got great command, but doesn't have the stuff to overpower anyone."

"I do like pitchers with control. They also seem to come cheaper."

"He may be able to survive in the National League, but he could easily get lit up."

"I think Cha Seung can replace Banks once he gets healthy. He'll be back on the 13th I think."

"Agreed, we'll only need our 5th starter once before then anyway."

"You're fine with Reineke as number 4?"

"Yeah, I'm happy with him there."

"Good, I don't think there's anyone else who's ready to step into the rotation anyway."

"On to the bullpen - 5 guys right?"

"Yeah. I like how it looks. We may need someone who can eat up innings though."

"Hmm. You can choose from Silva, de la Cruz, Correia and Leblanc. Not much to like there though."

"No there isn't, we're pretty much forced into what we have in the pen."

"Maybe Banks can slide back there when Baek is back."

"I don't know, maybe we should take an 11th pitcher. I like Patterson if we do."

"I'd be fine with that. He's not a guy who can eat innings, but he gives you another arm to work though a game if the starter leaves early"

"At least until Adams gets healthy, but that's a few months away."

"Or Prior."

"He'll be starting when he gets healthy."

"I wish Moreno could show some more command, he could be a good guy back there. Nonetheless, the pen shapes up like this: Bell, Meredith, Sanchez, Hampton, Britton and Patterson."

"Cool."

"Feel free to use them how you please."

"Sure. Bell's going to close, but I'll have to tinker with the setup role."

"Ok. We've got 11 locks on the other side of the ball. The starters + Headley, Hundley and Brown.

"Yeah, I agree."

"That leaves us with 3 bench spots to fill - 2 infielders and whatever you want in the other spot."

"Blanks is starting in Triple-A no matter what."

"Yeah, that's what I've heard."

"I'd rather him play every day there even if he would pinch hit every day with the big club."

"That's fine, especially with Adrian holding down first base."

"Lots of utility infielders to choose from: Stransberry, Cabrera, Gonzalez, Denker, and even Antonelli."

"I like Antonelli, he could spell Eckstein. Decent glove as well."

"I was going to put him in Double-A on his own, so he got to start everyday there, rather than fight with some vets in Triple-A. If you're going to play him though, you can he's on the roster."

"As good as we are, I think it is wise to play the youngins."

"OK. Who else? Cabrera's your speed guy but Gonzalez is a better hitter."

"Yeah, keep Cabrera for running."

"We only have 6 bench spots for now, so there's just one more spot available. Two catchers is enough for you?"

"Yes. I'm not sure who would get the last spot. I would take Gonzalez over Stransberry."

"Yeah, Gonzalez would work in a pinch hitting role."

"Yeah, that'll work. I don't like Venable at all."

"Me neither, he needs more seasoning, and I'm sure Brown or someone else can spell Gerut in Center."

"For sure. What happens when Floyd is healthy?"

"He'll be on the bench I think."

"He'd be good for pinch hitting against righties, or even starting against them."

"I'm not too fond of him in the field though.

"Me neither, but if Giles needs rest he can play. Brown can hit righties too though."

"Anything you want me to go out and address? I'm going to look for a good reliever who can give us some innings as well."

"There is one thing, a Left Fielder who can play defence, Hairston is a major liability. He could even make some good bait since I could platoon Headley and Brown if he's dealt."

"Our outfield defence as a whole isn't very good at all."

"Yeah, its not what I like, but Hairston is just awful."

"I would if the owner would let me grab Frank Catalanotto."

"Now you're talkin'"

"I could probably get a setup man for Hairston. I've talked to a few other GM's and they seem high on the kid."

"Very nice, maybe even a closer?"

"Perhaps. I could probably get a speedster in left."

"Damn. I would like that."

"May be too pricey though, I'd have to look at our budget."

"Yeah, tight fisted Jeffy wouldn't go for that."

"Even a starter, but that I've heard are available are all overrated. There's lots of goods we could get for him, especially if I include one of our relievers, like Moreno."

"I wonder if he'll make you trade Peavy."

"I hope it doesn't come to that, but I would expect we could get a very nice package for him if we have to."

"A couple young starters would go a long way."

"Well, the roster's set for now then, I'll see if I can pull something off before opening day though."

"Alright."

"I'll see you on the plane tomorrow morning," I bade farewell as I stood up, limped towards the door with the help of my cane and headed to pack up the few things I had n my office. It was time to start the season."
    Last edited by gosensgo101; 09-30-2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

April 1st, 2009
    San Diego, CA

After getting off the plane, I immediately made my way to Jeffrey Lage's office at Petco Park.

"Can I have a word?" I asked as I knocked on his open door.

"Of course, I wouldn't be letting you do your job if I said no," he replied cheerfully.

"I have a few trade offers to run by you. I don't want to do anything drastic right away, but I think we should cash in on Hairston's perceived value around the league right now," I said as I took a seat.

"Agreed, we don't want the fans to think we're giving up before the season's even begun. What are the offers?"

I handed him a sheet where I had summarized four trade offers I managed work up since last night:

To PHI:
    LF Scott Hairston (82) (Age 28)

To SDP:
    CF Shane Victorino (85) (Age 28)

This deal would improve our outfield for this year, but add almost $2 million in salary. We may not be able to resign Victorino in the offseason though. If we're out of it, we can deal him for prospects at the deadline

To ATL:
    CF Will Venable (69/78) (Age 26)
    SP Walter Silva (68/71) (Age 32)

To SDP:
    RF Jason Heyward (66/88) (Age 19)
    LF Brandon Jones (71/80) (Age 25)
    SP Brett DeVall (58/76) (Age 19)

I think Heyward can be a great offensive player in the future for us. Brandon Jones will replace Hairston on the big league roster, coming off the bench most likely. We also shed Hairston's salary without taking on any ourselves.

To BOS:
    RP Edwin Moreno (75/78) (Age 28)

To SDP:
    RP Justin Masterson (78/87) (Age 24)

We dump Hairston's salary and bring in a guy who's a good reliever now and could become a good starter. He would probably get a chance to start right off the bat on our club.

To BOS:
    RP Edwin Moreno (75/78) (Age 28)

To SDP:
    RP Hideki Okajima (80/82) (Age 33)
    SP Stolmy Pimentel (52/80) (Age 19)
    $1,000,000

We would net $500,000 with this deal, as well as pick up a good reliever and a pitching spect.
    After spending a while looking over it, 'Jeffy' replied with the answer I wanted: "I don't think we can afford Victorino this year or in the future. Heyward and Masterson are both great future players. You have my blessing to deal Hairston, I ask that you look to acquire a pitching prospect in any deal you make. If we did the Boston deal, Masterson would be great, but see if you can another pitching prospect from them, at any level. Same with Atlanta, see what is possible to acquire."

"Thanks, I'll think it over and make my decision today. It was good talking to you," I said as I began to leave.

"No problem, my door is always open," he replied, as he closed the door behind him. I though of commenting, but I figured making a sarcastic comment to my new boss may not be the best idea.

After discussing with my manager, Mark Denney, I decided to pull the trigger on my first deal as a General Manager. The deal sent Outfielders Scott Hairston and Will Venable, along with Pitcher Walter Silva to the Braves in return for young Outfielders Jason Heyward and Brandon Jones, and Starter Brett DeVall. Heyward with report to Double-A San Antonio, DeVall to Single-A Lake Elsinore and Jones will begin the year on the Major League roster. We free up Hairston's 1.25 million dollar salary.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

2009 Team Preview

CATCHER

Henry Blanco (74) [37] (.237 5 24 with Chicago (N))
    Acquired: 1/09 Free Agent
    Contract: $750K through 2009
    Debut: 1997 Los Angeles Dodgers

Nick Hundley (73/77) [25] (.292 3 12)
    Acquired: 6/05 Amateur Draft (Round 2)
    Contract: $380K through 2011 (Arb)
    Debut: 2008 San Diego Padres

Blanco is a superb defender, and is coming off of a career year at the plate, but any offensive production will be a bonus. Hundley is a capable backup. Eliezer Alfonzo is in Triple-A, and can set into a backup role if we suffer an injury. We don't have anyone in the minors that will turn into more than a backup.

FIRST BASE

Adrian Gonzalez (89) [26] (.279 36 119; All Star, Gold Glove)
    Acquired: 1/06 Trade with Texas
    Contract: $3.87M through 2010
    Debut: 2004 Texas Rangers (1x All Star, 1x Gold Glove)

Adrian may start every game at 1st if he doesn't suffer an injury, as he should, being our star bat. Kyle Blank's bat is ready in Triple-A, but he will probably have to move (either to another team or another position) in order to get a starting spot. He could become a great pinch hitter in the near future if he stays where he is though.

INFIELD

David Eckstein (79) [34] (.265 2 27 with Toronto & Arizona)
    Acquired: 1/09 Free Agent
    Contract: $850K through 2009
    Debut: 2001 Anaheim Angels (2x All Star, 1x World Series MVP)

Kevin Kouzmanoff (84) [27] (.260 23 84)
    Acquired:11/06 Trade with Cleveland
    Contract: $380 through 2009 (Arb)
    Debut: 2006 Cleveland Indians

Louis Rodriguez (75) [28] (.287 0 12)
    Acquired: 10/07 Trade with Minnesota
    Contract: $675K through 2009 (Arb)
    Debut: 2005 Minnesota Twins

Matt Antonelli (73/84) [23] (.193 1 3)
    Acquired: 6/06 Amateur Draft (Round 1)

Everth Cabrera (73/78) [22] (.284 6 38 with Asheville (Colorado's Single-A Affiliate))
    Acquired: 12/08 Rule V Draft
    Debut: Rookie

Edgar Gonzalez (74/76) [30] (.274 7 33)
    Acquired: 11/07 Free Agent

Nobody has a strong hold on a starting spot. Lots of mediocrity here, as well as versatility, so I expect we could see a variety of combinations in the infield throughout the season.

OUTFIELD

Jody Gerut (84) [31] (.296 14 43)
    Acquired: 1/08 Free Agent
    Contract: $1.77M through 2009 (Arb)
    Debut: 2003 Cleveland Indians

Brian Giles (85) [38] (.306 12 63)
    Acquired: 12/05 Free Agent
    Contract: $9M through 2009
    Debut: 1995 Cleveland Indians (2x All Star)

Chase Headley (79/86) [24] (.269 9 38)
    Acquired: 6/05 Amateur Drive
    Debut: 2007 San Diego Padres

Emil Brown (73) [34] (.244 13 59 with Oakland)
    Acquired: 2/09 Free Agent
    Contract: $380K through 2009
    Debut: 1997 Pittsburgh Pirates

Brandon Jones (71/80) [25] (.267 1 17 with Atlanta)
    Acquired: 4/09 Trade with Atlanta
    Contract: 380K through 2011 (Arb)
    Debut: 2007 Atlanta Braves

The right handed Brown and switching hitting Headley could form a platoon in Left Field. Combined with Gerut in Center and Giles in Right, we're expecting some production from the outfield. Cliff Floyd will come off the DL near the end of the month, and should be a great bat to have off the bench.

STARTERS

Jake Peavy (93) [27] (10-11 2.85)
    Acquired: 6/99 Amateur Draft
    Contract: $14M through 2012
    Debut: 2002 San Diego Padres (2x All Star, 1x Cy Young)

Chris Young (79) [29] (7-6 3.96)
    Acquired: 1/06 Trade with Texas
    Contract: $5.37M through 2010
    Debut: 2004 Texas Rangers (1x All Star)

Shawn Hill (75/77) [27] (1-5 5.83 with Washington)
    Acquired: 3/09 Free Agent
    Contract: $380K through 2009 (Arb)
    Debut: 2004 Montreal Expos

Chad Reineke (72/75) [26] (2-1 5.00)
    Acquired: 7/08 Trade with Houston

Josh Banks (70/73) [26] (3-6 4.75)
    Acquired: 4/08 Waivers from Toronto
    Debut: 2007 Toronto Blue Jays

Peavy is our ace, and will have to give us an award winning season for us to have a chance. The rest of the rotation is probably overmatched for their respective roles. Cha Seung Beck, who performed respectably in 20 starts last year, will recover from an injury in the 2nd week of games, and bump Banks from the rotation. The only starting prospect that jumps out at me is all the way down in Rookie ball.

RELIEVERS

Heath Bell (86/87) [31] (6-6 3.58)
    Acquired: 11/06 Trade with New York (N)
    Contract: $1.25 through 2009 (Arb)
    Debut: 2004 New York Mets

Cla Meredith (80/82) [25] (0-3 4.09)
    Acquired: 5/06 Trade with Boston
    Debut: 2005 Boston Red Sox

Duaner Sanchez (75/76) [29] (5-1 4.32 with New York (N))
    Acquired: 3/09 Free Agent
    Debut: 2002 Arizona Diamondbacks

Justin Hampson (75/77) [28] (2-1 2.93)
    Acquired: 10/06 Waivers from Colorado
    Contract: $380K through 2010 (Arb)
    Debut: 2006 Colorado Rockies

Chris Britton (72/75) [26] (0-0 5.09 with New York (A))
    Acquired: 12/08 Free Agent
    Contract: $380K through 2010 (Arb)
    Debut: 2006 Baltimore Orioles

Scott Patterson (74/77) [29] (0-0 1.93 with San Diego and New York (A))
    Acquired: 9/08 Waivers from New York (A)
    Debut: 2008 New York Yankees

Nobody has realy closing experience, as the bullpen combines for 11 career saves. Bell will take that role out of the gate, and should be able to carry the burden. The rest of the bullpen crew are, for the most part, inexperienced, but have all showed some reasons to be hopeful.
    Active Dynasty

Paused Dynasties

Retired Dynasties

Opening Day Series
    Los Angeles Dodgers @ San Diego Padres
    April 6-9, 2009

April 6, 2009: LAD 4, at SDP 2
    Starters: C. Billingsley vs. J. Peavy
    WP: C. Billingsley (1-0) - 8.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
    LP: J. Peavy (0-1) - 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 5 K
    SV: J. Broxton (1) - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
    HR: C. Blake (1), R. Furcal (1)

April 8, 2009: LAD 5, at SDP 2
    Starters: R. Wolf vs. C. Young
    WP: R. Wolf (1-0) - 7.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K
    LP: C. Young (0-1) - 6.1 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
    SV: J. Broxton (2) - 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
    HR: B. Giles (1)
    Stars: R. Furcal (3-5, 1 R, 0 RBI, 0 SB), R. Wolf (3-4, 0 R, 0 RBI, 0 SB)

April 9, 2009: LAD 5, at SDP 4
    Starters: H. Kuroda (6.2 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K) vs. S. Hill (5.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 6 K)
    WP: H. Kuo (1-0) - 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
    LP: D. Sanchez (0-1) - 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
    SV: J. Broxton (3) - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
    HR: J. Gerut (1)
    Stars: C. Blake (3-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 0 SB), O. Hudson (2-4, 1 R, 3 RBI, 0 SB)
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

Manager Press Conference after series 3-0 Defeat...

Manager Mark Denney takes the podium shortly after the game to conduct a press conference interview. It is really the first time since he was announced as club manager that he is thrust into the spotlight. This time however, the mood isnt so upbeat as the Padres got swept by a great Dodger team.

After taking a sip of water and clearing his throat the San Diego manager begins...

"Ok, before we get to questions, I would like to begin with that this was a tough series from the start. The team looked tense and nervous out there, we didnt execute on any level defensively and offensively, ultimately it is my job to get the guys prepared to do their job to give us the best shot at success and I failed in my first series.

I did see some positives out there though, while Adrian Gonzalez struggled (2 for 11), we did manage to score some runs without his production, not enough to win, but we did have leads going into the 6th inning of game 3 and unfortunatly gave up key runs. Ultimately this is a total team effort in losing and I expect better out of them when we take on the Giants before we go on a long road trip. Questions?"

Why did you feel the need to put in reliever Justin Hampton in 3 games to watch him allow hitters to bat .500 off of him with a homerun?"

Justin is our lefty specialist, all his job was to do was get Loney and Ethier out, and unfortunately it didnt work out for us. He simply didnt make the pitches he needed to, but I will continue to use him whenever we see a group of lefties bat."

"Will you continue to use the same lineup in which your 2-4 hitters batted under .200 for the series?"

"Yes, this is only 3 games into a long season, I plan on keeping the same lineup against righties and lefties."

"How do you feel about how the starters faired in the opening series?"

"I've seen glimpses of greatness out of them, but they were too inconsistent, combining for over a 5 era, its difficult to win against a club like the Dodgers when you dont execute."

"Henry Blanco batted .100 for the series, will there come a time when the young Hundley will take over catching duties?"

"Henry is a good catcher, he is mainly in there for his defensive abilities, however Hundley will get some playing time this year, but Henry will remain a starter. If there isnt anymore questions, thank you for your time and this conference is over."
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

is this dead?