Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Major League Revisited: Fictional Indians, 2018 onward...

Re: Major League Revisited: Fictional Indians, 2018 onward...

Is Chad Charles' Kid?

The years almost work out

If you can post your .mog I'd like to take a look at a few things, especially talent distribution in your league

Catchup

Re Fili: Chad was born in 1996, so it could work. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the real-life players - 100% fictional, alternate universe. But it is funny that so many major-league last names get reused. I've taken to renaming players in the draftee class myself, especially when I see tons of Nomars and Gianlucas. No JDs or JPs or JTs though, that's the next thing I'm renaming.

Per your request: Indians 2018 May.mog. If anyone wants to look, comment, suggest a move, or point out a change I should make to an AI team (or trade I should force), please do!

June 1st: Simon Parsons (5-4) goes up against the young Orioles phenom Gordon Lorton. Parsons is strong, going 3 innings before allowing a hit - then walks the bases loaded in the 5th with no outs. He escapes only allowing one run. Meanwhile our offense explodes, as James Bryant gets an inside the park homer. Jeremy Aves has a good day at the plate, going 3-for-4 with a homer and a walk. Parsons goes 7 IP, 8 Ks, ER. Mike Marischall continues his tear, hitting a two-run shot to bring us up 14-1 in the 7th - time to start bringing in the backups. Alex Samno gets a chance to pitch, allowing 2 runs in 2 innings of work, as we take it 14-3.

June 2nd: stopper Santos Fernandy takes on Erick McMillan, a lefty with a 2-4 record with the Orioles. We seem to have the edge in this rubber match. James Bryant continues his amazingly hot streak, getting an RBI in the first inning. He's batting about .480 in the last 10 games. Fernandy gives up a run in the 3rd to tie it 1-1. Shawn Ryan hits a monster blast to take the lead back, 4-1 in the bottom of the 3rd. We leave Fernandy in too long tho, as he gives up a solo homer in the 7th, and then a two-run shot in the 8th. Tied at 4-4, we got to Rafael Ardilla, who walks two and allows a hit to load the bases - but somehow escapes with the 4-4 tie intact. The Orioles reliever Matt Vafiadis keeps us scoreless through 4 - man he has good stuff! Alan MacLulich gives up 2 runs in the 9th, and we lose 6-4.

Code:
       2B:  M. Marischall (5), M. Gooden (11), J. Bryant (5)
       HR:  S. Ryan (6)

CLEVELAND   ip  h bb hr  r er  k pit    ERA
         S. Fernandy  7.1  9  2  2  4  4  6 120   3.04
           R. Ardila  0.2  1  2  0  0  0  1  25   1.00
        A. MacLulich  1.0  3  0  0  2  2  0  13   6.00
              TOTALS  9.0 13  4  2  6  6  7 158

WP: M. Vafiadis (4-2)
         LP: A. MacLulich (2-4)
         SV: P. McClenaghan (19)

June 3rd: The Angels are in town, and we hope to take some revenge for the last sweep. Unfortunately, our rotation lines up as Latorro-Devalois-Ashcraft. Samno hasn't looked like he could do better than any of them, so far, either. In game one, our 0-2 lefty Oscar Latorro will take on righty Todd Palmer, of the 6-1 record. It starts off about as expected - the Angels bat around, scoring 6 runs, and Latorro is out of the game, only recording one out.

Enrique Barrientos does well in relief, 8 Ks over 7+ innings. Surprisingly we come back against Palmer, tagging him for 7 runs in the 4th to take the lead. Arambola comes in in the 9th for the save, and we take the opener 8-6. Barrientos gets the win, and lowers his ERA to 2.76. We have to consider him for a rotation spot given his last few performances.

Code:
    CLEVELAND            ab  h bb  r hr bi  k sb     avg
    S. Garey (SS)         5  3  0  0  0  1  0  0    .367
    K. Dogman (2B)        5  2  0  1  1  2  0  0    .329
    S. Ryan (CF)          4  1  1  1  0  0  1  0    .304
    D. Wigton (3B)        4  1  0  1  0  0  0  0    .245
     M. Marischall (P)    1  1  0  0  0  0  0  0    .237
    T. Fredrickson (DH)   5  3  0  1  0  1  0  0    .297
    J. Aves (RF)          4  1  0  0  0  1  1  0    .344
     M. Velde (P)         1  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    .217
    T. Olsen (LF)         2  1  2  1  0  0  0  0    .274
    M. Gooden (C)         3  1  1  1  0  1  0  0    .290
    R. Battista (1B)      4  2  0  2  0  2  1  0    .243
    TOTALS               38 16  4  8  1  8  3  0

2B:  R. Battista (5), S. Garey (11), T. Fredrickson (9)
       3B:  R. Battista (2)
       HR:  K. Dogman (13)

O. Latorro  0.1  6  1  0  6  5  0  33   8.28
       E. Barrientos  7.2  3  1  0  0  0  8 104   2.76
         M. Arambola  1.0  0  0  0  0  0  1  17   4.66
              TOTALS  9.0  9  2  0  6  5  9 154

WP: E. Barrientos (1-1)
         LP: T. Palmer (6-2)
         SV: M. Arambola (14)

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

BM 2007 you say? I might have to blow the dust off of mine.

I started doing a little snooping around in your league, made some of my standard charts and was knocked the **** off of my chair.

The graph on the bottom is absolutely amazing. If you've been reading this thread, you'll know what I mean.

I started to do all kinds of fun stuff, but then remembered that it was your game So, I just posted the average ratings for Major League players at each position. (12 seasons in and the average is still in the 70's. Amazing!)

I'll try and look over KC and Milwaukee and see if I can help them out, because they are really bad.

You haven't done any Rule V Drafts to this point have you?

PS the BSP works just fine on your 2007. Scott Garey has a 25 game hitting streak-jinx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Holy wow! Thanks oodles, Fili! Miz's BSP is definitely on my radar now.

So you are saying that the fictional league I am running has stayed relatively stable, with core players averaging high 70's (exactly what I would think is correct/good), in BM07? Whereas fictional leagues run into the future in other games spiral out of control, using BM08-09-10? I knew whenever I tried 08 and 09 that things looked to get wonky fast.

I have run several Rule V drafts already, yes. I began the game managing Arizona from 06-2013, then moved to the Pirates in 2014-current, and also grabbed hold of the Indians (and started this masterpiece) at the end of the 2017 season. Rule V drafts and force-trades were put in to effect a balance, from 2014 on, but they were mostly halfhearted. This offseason (winter 2017) I really took to micro-managing, vetoing trades, undoing signings, and force-signing, Rule V'ing, and force-trading where it made sense. I was pretty proud of the results.

I also lowered the rookies.ini settings, because from 2006-2010 the pitchers coming into the league were ridiculously good by default. Somewhere in the 2010's I lowered position players, too, because a lot of guys seemed to have 90's peaks, more than should have.

Together, all this has created a decent league, where I can manage the Pirates or (maybe even) Indians to a decent .500 record, even after finishing last. I have fallen in love with my fictional universe...it's the only one I ever want to play!

If you want to make changes and post the mog, I'll use that one going forward - as long as the changes don't break BM07.

Garey with a 25-game hit streak - i knew $4mil was too cheap for his talent. Ah well.

Do you trust me to make changes?

I do have 2007, so I can open it up in that so there's no chance for any cross contamination.

Or I can just suggest changes, or I can just but completely out.

I have no problem with you making changes, sure. I can stave off any gameplay until you upload a new folder. I put a decent amount of work into rebalancing power, both in revenue sharing and Rule V / forced trades, but if you feel you can affect some positive change, I'm all for it. I've seen your work, and I have been impressed.

You can leave my Indians squad as-is though. Pirates could definitely stand to lose a few players, specifically the age 25+ guys in AAA that could blossom with another team. NYY, Arizona, and the Pirates are typically the most stocked teams.

Just give me a summary or some ideas as to what you did/plan to do. I typically don't modify individual players, and if I make trades I try to have them make sense for all sides. But I'm not above 'gifting' a player for the sake of fairness.

All About Latorro

Albert Thiessen was sweating again. He was sitting in Dowdy's office, facing his GM. Delanty was laying on a desk nearby, throwing a ball at the ceiling. Manager Freddi Guittierrez leaned against the wall nearby.

"Albert," Dowdy began. "We're facing a lot of pressure on this Latorro signing. Evans isn't happy, and the critics are tearing us apart. This guy was an all-star pitcher last year. We signed him thinking he was capable of at least competing...what's the verdict today?"

Thiessen took a deep breath. "He's fallen off. Way off. In the last month everything has deteriorated - control, breaking stuff, everything. At this point, AAA hitters would tear him up."

Dowdy was disgusted. "Is this his knee again, something that could work out with time?"

"No," Thiessen said, shaking his head. "He's done."

Dowdy swore under his breath. He looked at Guittierrez. "Want him in your bullpen?"

Freddi shrugged. "He's a great guy to have around. He'd love to contribute something - he knows the score. We can give him a shot, but..."

"One, two outings tops," Delanty interrupted. "Then we'll have to cut him loose. Make room for someone younger." Dowdy and Thiessen looked at him. "Unless we get hit by another injury to a starter, we have no earthly reason to keep him around. Heck, even if we did, we have better options in double-A." He stopped throwing the ball and turned to Thiessen. "Time to take our lumps, cut our losses." There was something hard in his eyes. Thiessen fought hard to avoid swallowing, but couldn't help himself.

"Take him out of the rotation, now" Dowdy said. "Barrientos, Samno - make it work, Freddi. Boot Latorro to the bullpen until we figure out what to do."

"Aye, captain," Guittierez said, turning towards the door.

June 4th: righty Joe Devalois again takes the hill, this time against young Angels righty Sam Robinson. Robinson has control, but is not impressive otherwise. He just had his first MLB start, an 8-inning 1-run gem for a win. We start off by putting two on, and Tim Fredrickson drives in two in the first, and steals as well. We keep the pressure on, scoring in the 2nd and 3rd as well, giving Devalois a 5-0 cushion. He gives back 2 in the 4th, but otherwise is stellar for a win.

Code:
         J. Devalois  7.1  8  2  0  2  2  1 120   5.35
        A. MacLulich  1.2  0  0  0  0  0  2  20   5.71
              TOTALS  9.0  8  2  0  2  2  3 140
    James Bryant got a start at first, and scored two runs, continuing his hot streak. He smacked two hits to bring his average to .439 on the season.

June 5th: Angels lefty ace Haruhisa Tsuji (5-0) comes to Cleveland, facing Aloysius Ashcraft (2-3). This one is a toughy - I'd love to sweep, but more than likely we don't have a shot at cracking Tsuji. I stack the lineup with regulars and hot bats, though, since the 6th is an off-day. Ashcraft explodes as expected, giving up 4 runs in the 2nd. We fight back for 3, with a Ken Dogman homer. Then we score 3 more - 2 on another Mike Marischall homer, to go up 6-4. Alan MacLulich is hit hard, giving up a 3-run shot, so we are down again, 7-6, and Ashcraft's win is blown. Geoff Elliot makes it a tie game with a long solo shot, and we're 7-7 in the 7th. That lasts until the 11th, when we run out of pitchers and put in Oscar Latorro. He gives up 3 runs, and we're down 10-7 - we attempt a valiant comeback, but lose 10-9.

Indians are 29-26 on the season, and 3-2 in June.

Latorro All Out of Gas
    Art Crenshaw, Cleveland Sun News

During the offseason, Cleveland management saw fit to sign an aging star pitcher. Oscar Latorro was a 200-game winner, age 36, coming off a disappointing 8-4 season. Tom Dowdy, along with new consultant Mark Delanty, watched Latorro throw, and despite other teams passing on what looked like a dead arm, they made an offer and brought him on board - AND promised him a starting spot.

Since Latorro was given that starting spot, he's been less than stellar. As a matter of fact, let me throw some numbers at you to show just how bad he is.

20 - the number of strikeouts he had pitched in his 6 starts, 25 innings. Enrique Barrientos has that same number in just 3 appearances - just 1 start.

20, again - the number of walks so far. Latorro had barely twice that in 170 innings last year.

.347 - opponents batting average against Latorro. That's facing some mediocre talent, too, and they're hitting like all-stars.

9.00 - Latorro's ERA, almost 3 runs higher than anyone else on the staff.

1 - the number of quality starts out of Latorro so far this year.

Latorro looks like he has nothing left. His fastball is topping out at 89mph, and his breaking pitches aren't fooling anyone. It's about time that the Indians realize that this experiment was a failure, and put Latorro out to pasture. The Yankees knew it at the end of last season, and other teams like the Nationals figured it out after seeing him pitch. Yet again, our front office is behind the times; come on boys, time to play catchup.

I may have to find my old setup for BM 07.

In my own story I'm starting to have real doubts about how BM10 is building fictional players. They seem to think they're playing deadball, and there are far, far too many pitchers in the draft.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

Fili blog

The Houston Astros might have solved their third base woes today. I can't remember the last time Houston had a decent third baseman. But, remember, my memory about this type of thing isn't that good.

I do know that that isn't this year. I also know that it wasn't last year. Those two years they tried Ross Finch at the hot corner. Finch was a good player 4 YEARS AGO!!! Luckily, for the Astros-not necessarily for him, he got broke his elbow eight games into the season. Unluckily, they had to replace him with Brian Zoger. Brian Zoger? He doesn't even sound like he'd be a good baseball player. When was the last time he was good? His freshman high school baseball team?

Well, things are looking up for the Astros. They recently promoted Brian Woolgrove to the big league club. Woolgrove was a third round pick back in 2013 out of Danville HS in Danville Illinois.

Houston, as they are wont to do, F'd this all up at first. They tried to make him a second baseman. Barbara Streisand's lazy eye has more range than Woolgrove at second. Needless to say, it didn't work out. But he has good reflexes and, much more importantly, can swing the bat a little bit. Now he's a third baseman.

More than that, he's a starting third baseman for a major league baseball team. That team is the Houston Astros, but it's a start.

He's not going to win any Gold Gloves at third, but at 22 and learning the position, he's much better player than Zoger and Finch at this point.

Fili blog

Is there something in the water?

The other day I wrote about an unexpectedly smart decision by the Houston Astros when they moved Brian Woolgrove to 3B.

Now, today, another equally thoughtful move by the Milwaukee Brewers. In an effort to get their best players on to the field the Brew Crew have announced that they intend to start using 2B Kent Dalrymple in center field.

Dalrymple has been the Brewers' starting second baseman the last three years, and last played the outfield full time in high school but, by all accounts, Dalrymple is an exceptional athlete whose speed and athleticism make him a perfect fit for centerfield.

His teammates say that one of their favorite games is trying to get balls past Dalrymple while he's shagging balls during batting practice.

"The coaches hate it, but the guy goes full bore out there. He only knows one way to play any game...that's to win" said Brewer first baseman Ken Trueman

"He's like a Labrador Retriever," says right fielder Pete Dilley. "You hit a ball, he chases it down and stands their panting waiting for the next one"

The move makes way for prospect Sandy Tuchman to take over at 2B.

Tuchman is a Dalrymple clone. He plays a passable second base, hits for a good average with little power, and flies around the bases.

The Astros are a long way from competing against a loaded Pirates team, but smart moves like this will hasten their arrival at that day
    Last edited by filihok; 10-13-2009 at 03:55 PM.

WHOA What is with Dalrymple's Base stealing!?!?! !!!

Interleague Success

INTERLEAGUE PLAY

June 7th, 2018: After the off-day, the Indians squad travels to Los Angeles to take on the Dodgers in Interleague play. We start things off with a rested Santos Fernandy (5-2, 2.96 ERA), taking on Dodgers lefty Vinne Riley (2-2, 4.89 ERA). It goes as a pitchers duel for a few innings, with Fernandy cracking first by allowing a run in the 4th. In the 6th, however, we come back against Riley big time - SEVEN RUNS, including a Ken Dogman blast, a Shawn Ryan 2-run shot, and Mike Marischall again hitting 2 RBIs against a lefty. Fernandy has 1st and 3rd with no outs in the 6th, but a strikeout and key DP gets him out. In the 7th we leave him in too long, as he walks in a run and then gives up a GRAND SLAM. The 7-1 lead disappears, and it is 7-6. Santoy works the 8th, and Arambola a perfect 9th for the save.

Win: Santos Fernandy improves to 6-2
    Save: Arambola gets his 15th
    Notes: Even with no DH, we can still crank out the offense.
    James Bryant played first and contributed two hits, again with the hot bat.
    Mike Marischall was made to platoon against lefties - although I actually used him in the outfield this game.

Injury:
    After the game, Carlos Santoy expresses some discomfort in his ankle, leading the doctors to diagnose an ankle ligament strain. Out of necessity, we put him on the DL for 15 days. Lefty Joe Whiteside will return to the major league roster - he has a 3.02 ERA in 50+ innings of AAA ball.

June 8th: lefty Simon Parsons (6-4, 3.56 ERA) takes on Trevor Butler (1-1, 5.74 ERA) in our second game against the Dodgers. I put James Bryant in the lineup again, this time at third. Parsons begins horribly, with a walk, hit batsman, and single, in that order, allowing 2 runs. Bryant leads off the 3rd with a triple, scoring, reaffirming my trust. Parsons got a hit in his first at-bat of the year, and Shawn Ryan drives in two, as we take the lead 4-2. Parsons allows two more runs and we are down 5-4, but we tie it up on a Scott Garey single, and then go ahead 8-5 on a Fredrickson 3-run shot. Alex Samno comes in in the 4th, with us up 9-5.

Samno lets it get close, 9-8, before Ardilla clears up his mess. We go to Arambola in the 8th, up 9-8, and he allows two solo home runs to let the Dodgers up 10-9, a lead they hold on to. Ridiculous. Arambola has blown 4 saves, and is 15/19 in save situations, around a 79% mark.

June 9th: Enrique Barrientos gets his second start, his first since earning a win in relief of Oscar Latorro. He will face righty Geoff Percival of the Dodgers (3-3, 3.65 ERA) as we try to take the rubber match of the series. We bat around in the first inning, scoring 6 runs and knocking Percival out of the game with 2 outs. Barrientos just has to allow less than 6 runs for an easy win; he does one better, going 8 innings with 2 ER, as we win 8-2 and take the series 2-1.

"Two out of three from the Dodgers - almost a sweep!" GM Tom Dowdy exclaimed. "Barrientos, hah! Looks like he is finally putting it alll together."

"I honestly didn't think he'd perform this well," Albert Thiessen said. "Before this year, it looked like he was triple-A at best, maybe a depth option. But here he is, winning games for us." Thiessen grinned. "Yet another good move by us, coming to fruition this year."

Dowdy grunted. "Ain't that the truth. And you know the media will give the credit to Delanty, since he came onboard right as this all came together. But his moves - Latorro, Samno, even converting Rochford to a starter - all seem to be iffy. Let's make sure ownership knows Delanty didn't do anything substantial."

"Well, he did bring on Scott Garey," Thiessen admitted. "And he picked Velde in the Rule V...I guess that's mixed so far. Maybe a few more..."

The door opened, and Mark Delanty entered the room, pocket PC in hand. "Gentlemen," he said, smiling. "You're early!" Thiessen forced a half-smile. Dowdy turned towards his dual screen. "Glad to see it though. We have a few issues to discuss. We have some guys that are tearing the cover off the ball. and we need to keep them in the lineup. I'm talking James Bryant, Jeremy Aves. These guys are winning games for us." Delanty lit up the projector, and connected wirelessly to his pocket PC.

"Then, we have another group of guys," he continued. "Our AAA guys that need to come up. Chad Nagy. Edward Wille. Even Valdespino. These guys are tearing it up down on the farm, and we can't hold them back much longer. Now - a roster of 25 guys, plus 2 or 3 more we need to throw in - that is a problem! But, we have a few potential solutions!"

Three names shot onto the wall:

Tim Fredrickson
    Ken Dogman
    Ricardo Battista

Dowdy sighed audibly. Thiessen pursed his lip.

"These guys are making money. They are getting older. And at this point, their playing is suspect. Fredrickson is out worst outfielder, at $6.5mil. Dogman, our worst defensive infielder, at $9 mil. And Battista, our worst catcher, at $2.5mil. Battista and Fredrickson are platooning down there for playing time. Dogman is tearing everything up, and Fredrickson is putting up good stats too. Bottom line - they are at a good value point to sell. Free up extra money, AND make room for the guys comnig up. Win-win." Delanty waited for a response.

Dowdy sighed heavily. "Mark, look - we've been over this. This isn't a small market team. We don't have to shed these guys. Fredrickson is contributing all kinds of runs - leading in RBIs. Dogman is our cleanup hitter, main power threat. Battista - well, he's slumping, but you gotta admit he gets on base. We don't need to dump them simply because they are making decent money."

"But they're in the way," Delanty explained. "Fredrickson is gone after this year -"

"He could re-sign," Thiessen offered. "He likes playing here just fine -"

"Doesn't matter," Delanty said. "We don't need him. Outfield of Olsen, Ryan, Velde. DH of Aves. Then you put Nagy in the mix, or Unzueta for defense - there's literally no place for Fredrickson. And no reason to pay $7mil of Indians money on him."

"We're contending!" Dowdy countered. "How could we shop out a bat like Fredrickson when we've got a winning record? You're not making sense!"

Delanty closed his eyes and tried to remain calm. "He's got trade value right now, but at 35, with poor defense, we would only be able to DH him. And with Aves and Nagy - not to mention Battista - we have no room for a DH. He makes $6.5mil and wants more next year. Older guy, high contract, declining capabilities, plus up-and-coming talent that needs to hit our roster...even if you have no financial concerns, why would we hold on to him?"

"Experience!" Dowdy exclaimed. "Team chemistry! A known commodity, putting up good numbers. If we dealt him and ran with Nagy, who knows what we get? At 21, is he ready to take over that 5th spot in the lineup? Omar Valdespino just showed us, success in triple-A does NOT equate to the bigs! If we get an injury, and we fall out of contention, how will that look?"

Delanty furrowed his brow. It would look like we made the best move. It would look like we shed payroll and improved our defense. It would look pretty damn smart, which would be relatively new to this front office. If these guys were so hung up on Fredrickson, how was he going to convince them to shed Dogman's payroll? Ditch a league-leading hitter and save $9mil - not likely.

"Listen," Thiessen said, "why don't we explore extension talks with Fredrickson and get a determination one way or the other? Then we'll know what we'd be looking at, and if we can keep him around next year."

Delanty stared at him. "Fredrickson will want a raise. Especially if he's leading our team in RBIs. He'll claim he brings experience and fan popularity and a veteran presence, and all these other bull**** intangibles. He'll want 8 or 9 mil for taking up a roster spot when someone could be doing it better."

Dowdy wasn't budging. "Maybe you should stick to the pitching side of things, Mark," he offered. "Divvy things up like we talked about back in November. Our offense is doing well - we've taken some of your advice, with Shawn Ryan moving to center, and Battista not catching anymore - and signing Elliot and Garey. Maybe it's time you took our advice, too."

Took my advice, Delanty thought. More like I made the deals while you stared blankly. This arrangement wasn't working out - but why push? Why was he driven to reduce payroll? Maybe it wasn't necessary. Or maybe he could start with a smaller fish, like Battista. Still, the thought of holding on to Fredrickson and letting him walk, getting nothing, just ate at his mind. This was so much easier when I was in control. Alone at the top. "Let's see what Fredrickson wants for an...extension," Delanty managed. Extension made him shudder. "Then we can have a firm grasp on what we want in our outfield and DH spots next year." He disconnected his handheld and walked to the door.

"What a cheap ****," Dowdy said after the door had closed. "You'd think he was writing the checks."

Fili blog

RE FTB:He got nailed a bunch of times.

I just wanted to give a quick update to a couple of players that I mentioned earlier in the week.

First Sandy Tuchman of the Milwaukee Brewers. Sandy replaces Kent Dalrymple, who moved to CF, at second base. Tuchman has reached base in each game he has started since becoming the starter

And Brian Woolgrove of the Houston Astros. Brian charged out of the gate with 2 home runs and 7 RBI in his first 8 major league games.

I thought both of these moves would pay off for their teams and, so far, they have.

Holy Box Score Parser

Gabriel Delahoya chose to retire, instead of joining a team seeking his services.

On the Indians front, Miguel Arambola is temporarily moved from the closer's job. Arambola signed a 4-year deal, at $3.1mil per year, to stay in the Cleveland bullpen; but with 4 blown saves and an ERA near 5 - and with Rafael Ardilla with a sparkling 1.14 ERA - it's in the club's best interest to give Ardilla the pressure spots. Arambola goes on record saying he is just happy to be with the team and contribute, and looks forward to some better outings in the near future.

Name:  AramDilla.PNG
Views: 139
Size:  246.7 KB

June 10th: Indians travel to San Diego as Joe Devalois (3-2) takes on Rob Cryer (4-1, 2.93 ERA). This is a battle of 5th starters, but Cryer has been impressive, leading the Padres in wins, 2nd in ERA. To win, we'll have to shut down their offense. Devalois immediately allows a leadoff double, scoring a run for the Padres. Devalois implodes completely in the 3rd, walking in two runs, loading the bases, and allowing 6 runs before we take him out. Latorro comes in to take his place, as we are down 7-0 in the 4th. By the end of the 4th its 10-1 and this is a laugher.

It gets even worse, as Joe Whiteside allows 3 runs, and Miguel Arambola allows 4!! Padres are ahead 17-4. Alex Samno comes on, on short rest, allowing 4 more runs: 21-4. We score 7 runs in the 7th, and make it a close match (ha ha), 21-11. We got demolished. I'm thinking Battista behind the plate was to blame.

Code:
       HR:  R. Battista (5), T. Fredrickson (8)
    June 11th: Aloysius Ashcraft (2-3) takes on ace Trevor Parrish (3-0). Ashcraft is his normal self, holding the Padres scoreless with 6 Ks through 3, and then promptly giving up 4 runs. We lose 5-2, as Trevor Parrish holds our bats quiet.

June 12th: we cross our fingers and send stopper Santos Fernandy (6-2, 3.50 ERA) out against Sam Burdett (1-6). This game we have to win. And we start in good order, putting 3 on with an error - and after a sac fly by Aves, Dave Wigton hits a three-run shot. Indians have a 4-0 lead before Santos even throws a pitch. Soon Santos allows a 2-run shot, and it's tighter at 5-3.

Miguel Arambola pitches 2 innings, a perfect 7th and 8th. He is much more comfortable in these low-pressure situations - no wildness or walks. Rafael Ardilla nails down the save, his first since moving to the closer role.

Indians are 32-30 on the season, 6-5 in June. 3rd place, 3 games back in AL Central.

BOX SCORE PARSER
    I managed to finally create all my box scores and take advantage of this tool: Thanks Mizerak!!

Code:
    Team Streaks:
    Winning Streak: 9 (April 10, 2018 - April 19, 2018)
    Losing Streak: 4 (May 9, 2018 - May 12, 2018)

Team Highs - Offense:
    Runs: 14 - June 1, 2018 (BAL 3 at CLE 14)
    Hits: 19 - June 1, 2018 (BAL 3 at CLE 14)
    Walks: 9 - April 24, 2018 (KCR 3 at CLE 7)
    Strikeouts: 14 - April 29, 2018 (CLE 6 at MIN 3)
    Homers: 5 - April 21, 2018 (CLE 12 at DET 13)
    Steals: 3 - June 4, 2018 (CAL 2 at CLE 6)
    Runs/Inning: 7 - 4th, June 3, 2018 (CAL 6 at CLE 8)

Team Highs - Defense:
    Errors: 3 - April 26, 2018 (DET 5 at CLE 3)
    Runs: 21 - June 10, 2018 (CLE 11 at SDP 21)
    Hits: 24 - June 10, 2018 (CLE 11 at SDP 21)
    Earned Runs: 20 - June 10, 2018 (CLE 11 at SDP 21)
    Walks: 10 - April 21, 2018 (CLE 12 at DET 13)
    Strikeouts: 12 - June 5, 2018 (CAL 10 at CLE 9)
    Homers: 4 - May 4, 2018 (CLE 7 at KCR 6)
    Innings Pitched: 14.0 - April 26, 2018 (DET 5 at CLE 3)

Player Streaks:
    Current Hit Streak: 11 - S. Ryan
    Team-High Hit Streak: 16 - S. Garey (May 6, 2018 - May 22, 2018)
    Team-High HR Streak: 3 - T. Fredrickson (April 29, 2018 - May 1, 2018), M. Velde (April 14, 2018 - April 17, 2018)
    Team-High Quality Start Streak: 4 - S. Fernandy (April 6, 2018 - April 22, 2018), S. Parsons (April 18, 2018 - May 5, 2018)
    Team-High Win Streak: 4 - S. Fernandy (May 21, 2018 - June 12, 2018), S. Rochford (April 15, 2018 - May 17, 2018), 
    S. Parsons (April 13, 2018 - May 5, 2018)
    Hits/Game: 4 - S. Garey (April 10, 2018; June 1, 2018), T. Fredrickson (May 29, 2018), 
                    K. Dogman (April 21, 2018; May 5, 2018; May 8, 2018), J. Aves (April 19, 2018; April 21, 2018)
    HR/Game: 2 - K. Dogman (April 21, 2018; May 11, 2018), S. Ryan (May 22, 2018), M. Marischall (June 1, 2018), M. Velde (April 24, 2018)
    RBI/Game: 6 - J. Aves (April 21, 2018)
    Runs/Game: 4 - K. Dogman (April 21, 2018)
    SB/Game: 2 - S. Garey (May 20, 2018)
    Strikeouts/Game: 10 - S. Fernandy (May 27, 2018)
    Multihit Games: 28 - S. Garey, S. Garey

Delanty sat in Dane Evans' office. Evans puffed on a cigar absently. He had been going on about his divorce, which had then led into talk about his mistress, and how great of a cook she was. Delanty guessed that her culinary skill was not top on the list of qualities Evans admired, judging by the curves she possessed. "So what do you think?" Evans seemed to ask no one in particular. He stared out the window at the empty ballfield.

Delanty cleared his throat. "I think there are some tough moves that need to be made. Tough choices, things that might hurt short term, but really improve us down the line. Things your front office isn't comfortable with doing."

Evans squinted into the stands, puffing again. Delanty tried not to cough; his eyes were already red from the smoke. "That Ryan kid," Evans began, chewing the cigar end. "'Bout time we get rid of him, right?"

Delanty blinked. "No...no, I don't think so. He's a good fielder, 5-tool player. We still have control of him for two more years. Even at the money he's making, he's well worth it. We should only move him if we can't contend for any of the next three years - maybe next year, more likely 2020 would be a time to shop him around."

Evans kept squinting, looking at his outfield. "I don't like him," he said. "I see him walk right out after games...no talking to the media, no signing anything. No head for the business side of things...face time, you know?" He let out a long sigh. "These guys get too big for their britches. Youth today...they just don't appreciate where they are."

"Well, we can combat that," Delanty said. "Shawn Ryan's a bit of a loner, quiet, professional. We spin that as showing his focus, determination. Other guys can do the charity work - no one has a team full of saints. Heck, Ashcraft was in the bottle for a whole season, wasn't he?"

Evans chuckled. "Helluva thing, guy like that having AA be his initials. Like he was destined to end up there." He laughed again. "So you're talking our free agent guys. Ken Dogman, Tim Fredrickson."

"Right."

"Both of them are important. Good hitters. Lots of jerseys get sold with their names. Dogman's really become a household name around here."

Delanty thought of the bleacher guys, shouting Who Let The Dog Out! from right field with every hit. There was even some crackpot who would show up in a super-hero outfit, as DogMan, a huge basset hound with a big K-9 as his jersey number. "I think we can keep Dogman around," he said. "He's done well here, and for $10, $11mil he would stick. Our problem is, what to do with him - James Bryant and Edward Wille are coming up, and play a much better second. With Chad Nagy already pegged as DH, we'd have to move Dogman to third, or corner outfield."

Evans was still looking out, this time to left field. He seemed to be trying to conjure an image of Dogman patrolling left. "So Fredrickson heads out, and Dogman takes his place in left, or somewhere. We end up...saving money."

"Right," Delanty said. "If we shed Fredrickson's payroll soon, we make up for the few mil we spent on pitching and Geoff Elliot."

"What about his bat?" Evans turned to face him now. "Fredrickson gets a lot of RBIs. He's a force in there."

Delanty waved it off. "You've seen my studies - RBIs are subjective. Put anyone in the 5-hole, they'll have some RBIs. Have you seen James Bryant hitting yet this season? He's so good, we've been playing him at first, third - anywhere. That kid's a tremendous fielder, and his bat has come around in a big way. We put him at second base, our infield is locked down. He can't do what Fredrickson can - yet - but he's on his way."

Evans nodded. "Doesn't sound too bad, Mark. We could part with Fredrickson, for the right price. But then we're holding onto Battista. And everyone else, for now. What are we looking for, anyway?"

Salary relief, better defense? "Promising pitching, mainly. We've got depth all around the infield, some outfield and catching. Our real weakness is pitching, both now and future. And as you've seen," Delanty said, "pitching can make a real winner."

Evans nodded. "Work with Dowdy to get it done if we need to. But get some name back, something big. I don't want to deal with any negative press about shipping off something for nothing."
    Last edited by Alloutwar; 10-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Arambola is a problem.

Demotion = Ouch. My shin hurts. I don't think I can play today. He said all the right things but I don't know that I would trust him