View Poll Results: Is Edgar Martinez a Hall of Famer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Maybe

6 17.14%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Edgar Martinez...HoF?

Re: Edgar Martinez...HoF?

I don't really like using the comps on B-R. They're nearly totally based on raw counting totals. I suppose rather useful for evaluating whether or not a player WILL be elected by the BBWAA, but pretty useless for a serious evaluation of a player's career.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I don't really like using the comps on B-R. They're nearly totally based on raw counting totals. I suppose rather useful for evaluating whether or not a player WILL be elected by the BBWAA, but pretty useless for a serious evaluation of a player's career.
    I hadn't really checked their methodology, but I know that they're differnent than some similarity scores that I've seen in other places. But for discussions here, they're very conveniently handy, because pretty much all the regular posters here are familiar with BR, so they can double-check when someone posts info from there.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post

Edgar's overall value stacks up with a lot of HOFers.
    I never said otherwise
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    I never said otherwise
    I never said that you said otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
    I did not say "Set up a special wing in the Hall for DHs" and put these two in. What I said was that these two players: Thomas and Martinez were deserving, whether they played DH or not. I'm not trying to set a precedent and your argument loses serious momentum when you say that you haven't seen a "full time" DH who has earned his way in yet, unless of course you completely missed the pitcher stomping career of 2-time MVP Frank Edward Thomas throughout the 1990s and on into the 2000s. For Kee-rist's sake, the man is top 25 all-time in the following categories:

OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, RBI, BB, OPS+, RC, ADJ Batting Runs, ADJ Batting Wins, Extra Base Hits, and AB/HR and a .301/.419/.555 line to top it off.

I don't see how that doesn't set a high enough standard for the HOF. The 10 comparables on his baseball-reference page are all either in the HOF, will be in the HOF, or are right on the edge of HOFdom:

Jeff Bagwell
    Manny Ramirez
    Fred McGriff
    Mickey Mantle
    Gary Sheffield
    Jim Thome
    Willie McCovey
    Jimmie Foxx
    Carlos Delgado
    Ken Griffey Jr.

He is also generally seen as a non-steroid user, in a steroid rampant era. We'll never know for sure due to the game being rife with users at the time, but his single season HR totals would seem to suggest that he's telling the truth as he hit between 30 and 43 HR 9 times, but never more than 43. He didn't even hit 45 once, let alone 50, 60, or 70 like some people. To suggest he doesn't belong in Cooperstown is absolute poppycock.

This thread is not about Frank Thomas though, it's about Edgar Martinez...
    dps, just to clarify, I never said these players were Edgar's comps, I said they were Frank's. I said it in response to dickay's ridiculous assertion that he hasn't seen a "full time" DH who has earned his way into Cooperstown yet. I'm sorry I somewhat derailed the thread and started talking about Thomas' eminent qualifications for being an absolutely no doubt, deserved first ballot HOFer unless individual writers vote against him out of their revulsion for the DH and I suppose one should never assume that the stupidity and/or petulance of the writers won't carry the day in Thomas' case. Fine, I'll amend the statement I just made by removing the phrase "no doubt" but he absolutely deserves to go in the first year his name appears on the ballot. I just couldn't help myself in the face a statement that so blatantly ignored one of the greatest hitters in the history of the game.

...And now back to Edgar Martinez...
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
    dps, just to clarify, I never said these players were Edgar's comps, I said they were Frank's.

Yeah, I just posted my response because at first I didn't catch that they were The Big Hurt's comps, and I was thinking that none of them seemed that similar to Edgar to me. Then I realized whose comps they were. I figured others might have made the same mistake., plus it provided a good opportunity to post Edgar's comps.

Some youtube videos of Edgar

Edgar History -

LOL!!! this is old school!!!

I miss those Eagle commercials lol. Its one of the few things I remember from when I was real young.